Opel GT Forum banner

901 - 911 of 911 Posts

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
Wire is OK for a temporary fix but over time the noise it makes may convince you to do it right.

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
A lot of people laughed at me for buying a simple metal bender from Harbor Freight.
Thing cost me around $70 when I bought it.
I've probably paid for it several time over for stuff like this!
Wire should only be used as a way to get it home or 2 a shop.
I call it Tennessee traveling myself.
Hey! My family is from Tennessee so I'm allowed to say that!
Better then the Nword rigging.

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,130 Posts
Drop ceiling wire will rust away in no time!
May as well use a coat hanger and just call it a day.
The coat hanger will last longer.
:rolleyes:
Oh pleeese.. everybody who is anybody knows that baling wire is the only acceptable wire to use on an exhaust system LOL

·
Opeler
1,133 Posts
I didn’t do anything to my car, but I did something for my car today.

Prior to installing my Holley Sniper unit, I had planned on having a certified shop professionally tune it. I found a couple of shops months ago online and spoke with them about doing it. One was about $750 bucks, which was lunacy. The other was very reasonable at about $250. So, I looked up the shop yesterday to give them a call. Prior to calling I checked out their website, which I somehow didn’t do before, and they are classic car shop that is full service...everything from exhaust work, to custom interiors, to full frame off restorations and everything in between. I believe I have an exhaust leak or two around the header gasket area, and decided to have this shop do that work as well. No need to take it to multiple places when one can knock it out. While the car is there I plan to have them give a good look over and see what the cost may be for some other wish list items including metal/body/paint work, dash work, AC install, etc.

At minimum it will be great to have a properly done & sized exhaust system and have the Sniper unit professionally

·
Senior Contributor
1,599 Posts
This is how my stock 72 exhaust was hung, ( I now have 2" German S.S Exhaust system )
The stock muffler Band clamp ( used around the center muffler ) will slip around, while driving over bumps... and will not stay in place, In my past experiences, I found the best way to hold the center stock muffler is to tack weld two hooks on each side and use the two Opel Bumps to re-hang center muffler with the rubber rings, worked out for a long time for me... and no rattles or noises DSCF0178.jpg Now I'm using a 2" stainless Steel Exhaust System from Germany,,
DSCF0178.jpg
DSCF0177.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Manta Rallier

·
Vendor
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #908
I didn’t do anything to my car, but I did something for my car today.

Prior to installing my Holley Sniper unit, I had planned on having a certified shop professionally tune it. I found a couple of shops months ago online and spoke with them about doing it. One was about $750 bucks, which was lunacy. The other was very reasonable at about $250. So, I looked up the shop yesterday to give them a call. Prior to calling I checked out their website, which I somehow didn’t do before, and they are classic car shop that is full service...everything from exhaust work, to custom interiors, to full frame off restorations and everything in between. I believe I have an exhaust leak or two around the header gasket area, and decided to have this shop do that work as well. No need to take it to multiple places when one can knock it out. While the car is there I plan to have them give a good look over and see what the cost may be for some other wish list items including metal/body/paint work, dash work, AC install, etc.

At minimum it will be great to have a properly done & sized exhaust system and have the Sniper unit professionally
Are these the guys in Anderson?

·
Opeler
1,133 Posts
Are these the guys in Anderson?
No, I know that place and stopped by their prior to the pandemic, but have had a hard time getting a hold of them since the pandemic. Plus, they aren’t a certified Holley Sniper location. This shop is on the south side of Indy, near Southport/Greenwood.
Did you have experience with the place in Anderson or anywhere else in & around Indy?

·
Vendor
2,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #910
No, I know that place and stopped by their prior to the pandemic, but have had a hard time getting a hold of them since the pandemic. Plus, they aren’t a certified Holley Sniper location. This shop is on the south side of Indy, near Southport/Greenwood.
Did you have experience with the place in Anderson or anywhere else in & around Indy?
Not personally, but a friend had some work done there on his GTO (upholstery and interior stuff) He was happy, IIRC.

·
1,732 Posts
Oh pleeese.. everybody who is anybody knows that baling wire is the only acceptable wire to use on an exhaust system LOL
During my working days I was sent out to build scaffolding for other trades at a power plant shut down. The insulators used stainless steel tie wire to hold some of their product in place. Great stuff beats bailing wire all to hell. Still have some around the garage.

901 - 911 of 911 Posts