Opel GT Forum banner

941 - 960 of 998 Posts

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
At least on the plastic parts, I’ve had good luck by washing everything well (I use Purple Clean and Dawn dish soap plus hot water), then letting it dry.

Then I paint it with Krylon Fusion paint meant for plastics. Can’t smell if it’s covered in paint, lol.
I'm going to give this a try.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I would guess that soaking the piece in a paste of baking soda and water would also remove the smell.
if Rallybobs suggestions don't solve my problem then i guess i will try this one. Thank you for helping with suggestions, i never thought about using baking soda. The wife refuses to ride in the car when it starts smelling like mice. On top of that ihave to get this car back together before Carlisle. I still have to tear apart the brakes and suspension and solve an oil leak problem from the chain tensioner bolt.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
649 Posts
Went to coffee and Cars this morning for about an hour and came to the realization that my new mission in life is to educated people, one person at a time on, " What kind of car is that and what is an Opel GT." I know, you have all been there. Kind of fun though - the only Opel there and the GT always draws a good crowd of both those that are my age and know what it is or the younger crowd that is draw by the lines of the car and well the color does tend to bring them over too . And the most heard line, besides the two above is - don't see many of those around anymore - well truth be told you just don't see that many 50 year old cars on the road period. I mean when was the last time you saw a Ford Maverick or a Pinto.....I guess now that I think about it I do see 1960 decade mustangs once in a while but have to admit that I have not seen another GT or Manta on the road for 20+ years.
Saw my first electric Mustang - Ford has lost it once again - looked like an SUV.(n)

·
Vendor
2,948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #945 ·
Went to coffee and Cars this morning for about an hour and came to the realization that my new mission in life is to educated people, one person at a time on, " What kind of car is that and what is an Opel GT." I know, you have all been there. Kind of fun though - the only Opel there and the GT always draws a good crowd of both those that are my age and know what it is or the younger crowd that is draw by the lines of the car and well the color does tend to bring them over too . And the most heard line, besides the two above is - don't see many of those around anymore - well truth be told you just don't see that many 50 year old cars on the road period. I mean when was the last time you saw a Ford Maverick or a Pinto.....I guess now that I think about it I do see 1960 decade mustangs once in a while but have to admit that I have not seen another GT or Manta on the road for 20+ years.
Saw my first electric Mustang - Ford has lost it once again - looked like an SUV.(n)
Funny you should mention Pintos. I saw one just a few days ago on a highway near my house (probably heading to a cars & coffee). I agree with you about the Mach-E Mustangs. I also spotted my first one a few weeks back. Just another pear-shaped small SUV (styling-wise anyway). I don't see them selling too many of these at >$43K.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I too spotted a trimmed out mustang and the new bronco sport the other day. where is the industry going with this crap? They both were as ridiculous as anything I've seen

·
Registered
788 Posts
OMG they all look the same
You just noticed? (Sorry, I couldn't help myself...)

I forget which SUV it was, a few years ago -- one of the Japanese products, that was so broad and awkward looking in the rear that, as I told my daughter, it looked like my ex-mother-in-law bending over to pick up a quarter.

Several years ago, in 2014, shortly after I moved up here to Maine, the annual Hemmings Great Race started in my town of Wells, heading for Florida. There was a great deal of preparation during the week prior to the start, and all kinds of ancient iron was showing up in hardware store and FLAPS parking lots. The Friday prior to the weekend start, they had a mini rally that ran past my front yard. My neighbor and I spent more than two hours watching the parade.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
I ordered a set of wider inner shells for my Keizer racing wheels I plan to use on my hillclimb car. I only ordered 2 for now, just for test fitment purposes. After some wait, the rim shells came in this past week.

Today I cleaned up one of the old outer shells, and repolished it, then assembled one wheel. I didn’t get around to the final torquing or sealing today, since the hole tolerances were really tight. It took almost an hour to line up and thread in 15 bolts!

However I did get to visualize one completed wheel, and needless to say I’m quite happy with it! It’s 13” x 10” now, with a 5” backspacing. They will get 255/40-13 Hoosier A7 autocross tires.

Did I mention they were light? One wheel comes in a little under 9.5 lbs. A stock 4-spoke steel 5” Opel wheel is 17 lbs for comparison!

Here is the car they will be going on, though I do have plans to change the paint scheme.

·
Registered
'73 GT
27 Posts
And I thought my 3-piece 13x8.5 Revolution RFX were light at ~12lbs. Lightweight isn't typically the point of 3-piece wheels though. A few years ago, a friend interviewed a couple guys on his podcast From BBS that ran their Motorsport program in the 70s and 80s. Lots of cool stories. I'll try and find a link to it.

·
Registered
'73 GT
27 Posts
I finally got a reply from Clutchmasters with the torque spec for the steel insert for my aluminum flywheel so I bolted that up. Then I started cleaning and organizing my garage. I still have to bring my snowblower and kerosene torpedo heater out to my dad's pole barn for storage until next winter. And the SR20DE from my BIL's old 200SX Se-R is still in the corner. All that should free up some much needed space.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
649 Posts
Some may remember that my GT was making a couple of strange noises earlier in the year, one was the replacement alternator which was replaced by another and that noise went away. So today I replaced my new 7 blade fan with the old five blade fan and no longer have that very annoying noise which made the car difficult to enjoy driving. Also took the GT out to get ethanol free gas today, first time - 90 octane 3.19 a gallon only one place in town and its totally self service meaning just pumps and a credit card slot, no one there. And to top the ride off, I am driving along when my lap belt disconnected itself from the area above the rear driver's seat and landed in my lap??? Well that made me think about how discolored the seat belts are and how bad they look and I had just dyed my steering wheel recently as the color blue was showing through???? I purchased a leather steering wheel cover, 3000 miles ago, in black and stitched it on to the steering wheel by hand, which took a number of evenings in front of the TV with my wife helping to hold it to achieve a really tight stitch and was amazed when blue started to show through. Well the black dye took care of that. So I ended up beginning a new, spur of the moment, project this afternoon - dyeing the, what had become grey seat belts, to a nice new looking black. This is just another detail one of many that keep popping up that I have over looked in the past. Things happen for a reason. Very Happy......:giggle: Now if I could just get a little blitz to go over that GM logo on the seat belt button...

·
Super Moderator
13,843 Posts
A while back I was at my family’s business and I got the chance to cut down a set of front and rear ‘big’ bumpers (1974-1975 style) on the large bandsaw they have.

I ended up taking 2” out of the middle of the bumper. My original intent was to use the factory spring loaded bumper mounts and turn them sideways to fit within the narrowed bumpers. The aluminum adapter on the bumper was already removed, so this brings the bumpers closer to the body by about 2”. However, if the original spring loaded mounts are enacted, the bumper will hit the body.

So my idea is to solid mount them with lightweight chromoly tubing that bolts in rather than clips in like OEM. I figure I’ll save about 10 lbs per bumper total, and there’s less chance of body damage.

Anyway, in the quest to remove even more weight, I drilled holes in the bottom of each bumper. I took a router bit to the edges of the holes to smooth things out.

Next, using a spare front Ascona clip I own, I layed out my future auxiliary lighting. I have a new set of IPF H4 halogen headlamps with yellow film applied. Then a set of replica Cibie Oscar 7” driving lights. Further inward are a set of PIAA 80 rally lights with dual-element H4 bulbs, they are roughly 7.8” in diameter. These lights will be mounted on a custom steel bracket that raises them about 2” above the top of the bumper. This not only will provide the light pattern I desire, but it also leaves the grill area more open for airflow. Below the bumper, I will mount a pair of Hella 500 fog lamps with yellow film applied.

Yup, I like lights.

These are all for my 1975 Sportwagon.

941 - 960 of 998 Posts