Opel GT Forum banner

961 - 970 of 970 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,809 Posts
Almost forgot another thing I collected.

Been buying gauges gradually over the past year. I have a factory Manta Rallye/Sportwagon center gauge panel, which I fitted with aftermarket gauges. It houses a mechanical oil pressure gauge, electrical oil temp gauge, and electrical water temp gauge.

Now, I also have an original and fairly rare Rallye A/C gauge panel. When A/C was fitted, the gauge panel below the radio can’t be used. So the solution was a vertical gauge panel to the far left of the dashboard.

I decided that in light of the rarity of the A/C gauge panel, I would make a mold of it to pop out cheap fiberglass reproductions.

I made this mold two years ago then forgot about it! It got put into a bin before my shop got built and was hidden until last week.

So, I removed the original part from the mold after two years. To say it was stuck in there was an understatement! I damaged the original part slightly when I removed it, but the mold looks pretty good. I need to sand some edges and touch up the gelcoat, but the mold is very solid.

The vertical gauge pod will house a voltmeter, a clock, and a turbo boost gauge.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Almost forgot another thing I collected.

Been buying gauges gradually over the past year. I have a factory Manta Rallye/Sportwagon center gauge panel, which I fitted with aftermarket gauges. It houses a mechanical oil pressure gauge, electrical oil temp gauge, and electrical water temp gauge.

Now, I also have an original and fairly rare Rallye A/C gauge panel. When A/C was fitted, the gauge panel below the radio can’t be used. So the solution was a vertical gauge panel to the far left of the dashboard.

I decided that in light of the rarity of the A/C gauge panel, I would make a mold of it to pop out cheap fiberglass reproductions.

I made this mold two years ago then forgot about it! It got put into a bin before my shop got built and was hidden until last week.

So, I removed the original part from the mold after two years. To say it was stuck in there was an understatement! I damaged the original part slightly when I removed it, but the mold looks pretty good. I need to sand some edges and touch up the gelcoat, but the mold is very solid.

The vertical gauge pod will house a voltmeter, a clock, and a turbo boost gauge.

View attachment 435067 View attachment 435068 View attachment 435069 View attachment 435070
Sweet !!!

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
finally got the mouse smell out of the heater. thank you Rally Bob and kwschumm . i used both ideas and it smells pretty good now. for the finally wash i used dawn dish soap and that is all i can smell now.
update - i have been dealing with electric gremlins for the past 3 days!!!!! finally putting the dash and instrument panel back together and these stupid connectors are soon going to be cut out and i might just rewire the whole dam car before Carlisle!!!! ghrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. sorry vokda cranberries are needed to unwind from a 3 hr garage session. The colored connectors are somehow not making good connections so i am pulling wires and redoing the terminal connectors 1 by 1. i finally have almost everything working except for the damn turn signals. 2 blown fuses and i think the rest is working. now just need to rebuild a couple more of these stupid colored connectors and hopefully (praying actually) that it will all work and the car will be up and running. i need to get the car in for tires, alignment, and exhaust. One way or another this bi*tch will be driven to the show. -

question for the group - does anyone else have a roughly 2" hole about 4" below the heater core connections? Ive scoured the web and manuals looking for a reference to thing but i cant find anything. I bought floor plugs from OGTS thinking they would fit and they are way to small. Is this a PO mod or am i missing something?

·
1,691 Posts
It may be for A/C lines that routed inside the car by the pass. seat.
HTH

Reactions: The Cub

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
607 Posts
Went to coffee and cars today - the mission remains the same to educate the world one person at a time by answering that age old question - what is an Opel. Got a lot of lookers and lot of nice comments and this older woman, not completely sure what that phrase means any more, I mean my mother is 93 and still uses that phrase, but anyway this woman stopped by and told me the story of the 1974 Manta that she owned and loved and after seeing my car that she wished she had held on to it. There is just something about the love of an Opel. Have never had anyone tell me they did not like an Opel.

·
Super Moderator
13,809 Posts
Built a light bar to raise the center PIAA driving lights up 2.5” higher than the bumper itself for my 1975 Sportwagon.

Used some rusty 3/4” x 1-1/2” steel I had laying around. Not fancy, but functional and doesn’t flex.

I also made some brackets to bolt to the underside of the front bumper, they will be to mount the fog lights. I wanted them set back a bit to avoid curbs and such.

Reactions: kwschumm

·
Registered
537 Posts
I will gladly stand by on a waiting list for a "cheap fiberglass reproduction". I would even take a blem, as my intention would be to have it covered like the rest of my upholstery.

·
Opelnut
943 Posts
DSC06087.JPG

1st Show of the season, ... Great to be Out with The Only GT, an heard several times that it was Favorite car of show (especially by the Kids)
or Most Unique.

Reactions: jayhawkjesse33

·
Super Moderator
13,809 Posts
I will gladly stand by on a waiting list for a "cheap fiberglass reproduction". I would even take a blem, as my intention would be to have it covered like the rest of my upholstery.
Well, cheap is a relative term. I really don’t know what it costs to pop out a part yet, since I only made the mold so far.

But I’d rather use replaceable fiberglass parts than try to find unobtanium original gauge pods for multiple vehicles. I only have the one original, which I unfortunately damaged during the mold making process.

·
Opeler
138 Posts
Well, cheap is a relative term. I really don’t know what it costs to pop out a part yet, since I only made the mold so far.

But I’d rather use replaceable fiberglass parts than try to find unobtanium original gauge pods for multiple vehicles. I only have the one original, which I unfortunately damaged during the mold making process.
Manta guage panel.jpg
Manta quage instructions.jpg

After I saw this post I dug out the guage panel I bought on Ebay about 4 yrs ago. I have included pictures of the kit I got and a copy of the original instructions I have. I thought I would show what I have for those who may only have the panel.

961 - 970 of 970 Posts