Opel GT Forum banner
1081 - 1098 of 1098 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
The turn signal ring inside the steering column broke. So today I cannabalized a steering column I had and used the turn signal assembly out of it. I put it all back together and it didn't work. So tomorrow I will reuse the broken one but I will replace the turn signal ring in it with the ring from the other one. Hopefully it will work. I have high hopes.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
So, surprisingly, I haven’t had much time to work on Opel stuff. This is in spite of the fact that’s my fiancé Tina is away for the week. I’m primarily doing household chores while she’s away.

A quick plug while I’m on the subject of Tina. She is on her way to Colorado currently. She’s meeting up with her youngest son Mike, who is currently en-route to San Francisco with his best friend Devin on bicycles. He’s doing a cross-country bike ride to raise awareness for suicide prevention. Mike’s older brother Nathan committed suicide on August 31st, 2018, at the age of 16. It was hard on the entire family. Everybody took it differently. Tina was devastated. I was traumatized having been the person to find Nathan’s body….not something I’d suggest.

Mike’s oldest brother Nick is enlisted in the Marines and is stationed at Camp Pendleton in San Diego. He directed his anger and frustration into training and really kicked butt during his basic training at Parris Island. Mike, as the younger brother, had more trouble focusing his energy but eventually came around, and then came up with the whole premise for ‘Pedaling for Prevention’. They were supposed to do the cross country bike ride last summer but COVID-19 pretty much shut down their plans.

Anyone interested in their story (or interested in donating) can check out their web site or follow them on Facebook or Instagram.

So, anyhow…I did diddle around a little bit with my turbo engine project today. I’ll be using silicone hoses for the cooling system, connecting the 1975 engine to a VW Scirocco radiator. This requires custom connections of course, more so because I’m adding additional gauges and electric cooling fans.

So in order to add an aftermarket coolant temp gauge and an adjustable cooling fan switch, I needed a place to add sensors. The stock thermostat housing is already kind of busy, so I decided to add the sensors to the upper radiator hose. Here’s the result. A 1/8” NPT sensor for the aftermarket coolant temp gauge, and a 3/8” NPT sensor for the cooling fans.

Input device Peripheral Tin Gadget Communication Device
Composite material Gas Gadget Bumper Communication Device
Font Gas Cylinder Audio equipment Circle
Kitchen utensil Dishware Table Gas Bumper
Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting
Automotive tire Cylinder Gas Auto part Metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Gear Rim
Musical instrument Bicycle part Cylinder Wind instrument Nickel

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,466 Posts
So still getting ready for the Car Show at Charlotte Motor Speed way which begins for me on Friday September 10th. Roy Bell tells me there will be a total of 8 Opel all displayed together which is pretty exciting as I have not seen another GT for a long long time, except that one two blocks away from my house that is just sitting under a tarp rusting away- very sad. So I am all Polished and Waxed, tires shined, the new hopefully heat reducing foam installed today - even waxed the glass, wow, what a difference. I have been so busy with projects, over the past couple of years, that I had not really detailed the car for a long time - so going the extra mile to make sure everything is in extra good shape. The detailing was fun, always better than a project, don't touch, no finger prints allowed.... Over the past week have detailed almost everything, inside and out, again way above what I have done for a long time so looking good and ready to park next to the group. And looking forward to meeting all of the other owners and to compare notes, etc. I know I will come home with a lot of good information and good experiences as well. Looking forward to learning from those that have done this, car show, over the years many time - this is my first time - that's right a car show virgin. ;)

View attachment 437689
Even got that belly pan cleaned - removed the grill, etc.
View attachment 437690

View attachment 437691
All will be well if that hurricane does not come to bear.............................
:love:

Holy Bejeesus! Your car is a beauty. Your engine compartment and nose area are wonders to behold. Even though my soon to be yellow car will be coming straight from the shop, I'm sure it won't look as good as yours!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Bob--
Teenage suicide is a truly horrible thing and we continue to hear more of it. Hockey fans may have noted a gesture by Luke Richardson, a Canadiens' coach, following a Montreal win during the playoffs. The gesture was in remembrance of his daughter, Daron, who passed away ten years ago. Morgan Richardson, Luke's oldest daughter, played defense for Cornell University's women's ice hockey team, graduating in 2016. During her time in Ithaca, she was instrumental in the formation of the DIFD Foundation (Do It For Daron), dedicated to supporting mental health among teenagers. Morgan currently is a school teacher in the Boston area.

·
Registered
1969 Opel Gt 1.9 Automatic
398 Posts
So still getting ready for the Car Show at Charlotte Motor Speed way which begins for me on Friday September 10th. Roy Bell tells me there will be a total of 8 Opel all displayed together which is pretty exciting as I have not seen another GT for a long long time, except that one two blocks away from my house that is just sitting under a tarp rusting away- very sad. So I am all Polished and Waxed, tires shined, the new hopefully heat reducing foam installed today - even waxed the glass, wow, what a difference. I have been so busy with projects, over the past couple of years, that I had not really detailed the car for a long time - so going the extra mile to make sure everything is in extra good shape. The detailing was fun, always better than a project, don't touch, no finger prints allowed.... Over the past week have detailed almost everything, inside and out, again way above what I have done for a long time so looking good and ready to park next to the group. And looking forward to meeting all of the other owners and to compare notes, etc. I know I will come home with a lot of good information and good experiences as well. Looking forward to learning from those that have done this, car show, over the years many time - this is my first time - that's right a car show virgin. ;)

View attachment 437689
Even got that belly pan cleaned - removed the grill, etc.
View attachment 437690

View attachment 437691
All will be well if that hurricane does not come to bear.............................
I like the body color matched brake resiovor.I might have to do something like that one day.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I got around to some Opel projects today.

My first project was more or less a home project, but it involved Opel parts. I had a few roof skins on a small trailer behind my shop. Tina expressed concern in them being there, even though she NEVER ventures behind my shop….sigh.

So I said before winter I’d bring them inside my shop. She said, ‘why not now?’. Well, they were outside for years, so there were most certainly spiders, spider webs, acorns and other rodent nest material stuck in the crevices. I just bought a new pressure washer, so today was the day to use it. I washed everything good and am letting them dry overnight.
Automotive design Motor vehicle Floor Flooring Wood

Next item on my list, I dragged my engine test stand from where it has sat since moving it into my new shop. Prior to that it sat in my old barn since 2015, unfinished and rusting. Now is the time get it done!

So I partially stripped it back down, removing the control panel, shelf, and the radiator. I will be installing the fuel system (both carbureted and EFI pumps), then fully plumbing the fuel system hard lines, the battery cables, the starting system, and the wiring for all the gauges.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Electrical wiring
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Machine Fuel line Automotive super charger part

Next, I decided to paint up my rebuilt fuel injectors. They are mostly plastic, with a stainless end. But the center of the body is plain steel. They arrived to me clean, and wire-wheeled (bare steel). So a little bit of paint here will keep them from rusting up.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Motor vehicle

I dug out a set of ARP flywheel bolts for the turbo engine with S10 clutch. These are from a Ford Pinto 2.0 liter, and they are substantially stronger than stock…85 ft lbs of torque versus 43 ft lbs for stock bolts. The only issue is, they are too long. In most cases .030” to .040” shorter will be enough to keep them from bottoming out. But I removed about .100” this time around. They’re just a little longer than stock bolts.

Here, a stock Pinto ARP flywheel bolt compared to a stock Opel 1.9 flywheel bolt.
Household hardware Nickel Cylinder Gas Fastener

A stock ARP flywheel bolt and one that I have shortened.
Household hardware Nickel Gas Cylinder Fastener

Fully shortened set of ARP bolts.
Automotive tire Household hardware Finger Cosmetics Thumb

• Love
Reactions: The Scifi Guy

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Lastly, I started working on a valve cover for the 1.9 turbo engine. I used a 1975 cover, and chopped off the vacuum fitting that normally goes to the fluted intake hose. I drilled out the hole to 5/8”, and added a second 5/8” hole on the opposite side of the raised section of the valve cover. I will be brazing in two pieces of steel 5/8” tubing to these holes. I’ll be removing the inner structure that holds the breather mesh. I will replace the mesh with a splash shield only.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior
Line Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Metal
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive wheel system Gas
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Rim Automotive exterior

• Love

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
I ground off the spot welds holding the internal baffles and separated them from the valve cover.

Even though the valve cover had previously spent 30 minutes in a jet-wash chemical cleaner, there was a bunch of hardened up oil caught between the layers of sheet metal.
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Automotive wheel system
Wood Composite material Gas Metal Auto part
Light Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper
Wood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Rim

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
789 Posts
What did I do with my Opel this past Friday, Saturday and Sunday - Well what a weekend - Took my longest drive in the GT since 1981 which was when I drove from Martinsburg, WV to Williamsburg, VA for a job transfer 40 years ago, taking my 5 day old daughter with me, no not in the Opel but in the Mother-in-laws van with my wife and first baby. I drove solo, in the GT and actually arrived a couple of days before them to get things lined up and to start my new job, I was 29 years, the Opel had already been repainted once however was beginning to fail as a daily driver, typically stuff.
Anyway this Friday, Susan and I took the back roads all the way from Mount Pleasant to Charlotte, NC. Most of the trip was on HWY 176 to HWY 601 and instead of a 31/2 hour trip on Interstate 26 and Interstate 77 it took about 51/2 hours but it was really a very relaxing drive with little to no traffic which was a nice change of pace, I have to say that by the end of the day when I returned to the hotel I was pretty fried and looking forward to a cold beer and a little down time. Additionally the natural air condition was working extremely well and being a two lane road early in the morning we were actually in the shade quite a bit especially early on. We left at 7:30, temp was 67 degrees and even kept the windows rolled up for the first couple of hours on our epic drive to the Auto Fair at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. Got settled in on Friday with Ooooners/Roy's help, and met a bunch of other Opels and met their owners - what a great bunch of guys and one gal - Floyd's wife who is the owner of a fine looking burgundy GT. A good time was had by all. I wanted to thank each and everyone of Carolina Opel club members for making me feel like I had been a member of the group for a long time. Everyone was, well very nice. Roy even pranked me a little less than most but I can tell that was just a beginning courtesy that did not last long.
Drove home today - weather was a little warmer - took interstate to 176 which is just south of Columbia to enjoy the less hectic scenic route and even stopped at a self scenic produce stand in the middle of nowhere. I kid you not - you pick what you want and put the cash in a cash box that of course is nailed down to a 1000 pound block of cement - but anyway was very nice - had not seen that in a lot of years - we forget how nice/good/decent/ things use to be before everyone got into such a hurry......

Early Saturday Morning when things are just getting started - it got really crowded later on...
Tire Wheel Car Cloud Land vehicle

The German Secret Police/Dieter showed up and entertained the children with the European Siren
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Sky

Guess it was a total of 7 Opels - 6 GT's and one very proud German Policeman

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

My first car show - long time coming - what a blast .... I should have been doing this years ago
Clothing Tire Wheel Footwear Car

My sincere thanks to all of the club members for agreeing to make me look good - it was quite an experience one that I will never forget and one that I am thankful for having.
Hat Cap Fedora Sun hat Baseball cap

Again special thanks to Oooner for putting this all together, his brother in law for just being a lot of fun and thanks to all of the other members for just being themselves and having a good time and of course to my wife Susan for making that long, long, long sometime painful drive in my 1970 Chartreuse Opel GT. She did say that I owe her and that is the last time she goes for that long of a ride in that car - creature comforts have changed since we were in our late teens/early 20's.

Waiting on winner's circle row for two hours, very hot and in the sun, before the car's started to move - way above and beyond the call of duty Roy, thanks again.
Vehicle Smile Tire Motor vehicle Product

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Finished up these two things.

First, my upper radiator hose connector is cut to length and the ends are beaded.
Musical instrument Gas Metal Cylinder Nickel

Next, the valve cover is all done, ready for powdercoating. Bolts welded in place to hold the splash shields
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Rim

I made the splash shields from .040” thick aluminum.
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior

At the oil filler hole…
Automotive tire Rim Gas Wood Font

All the loose paint and rust was sanded off. I was looking to see if there were any substantial dents to repair before getting the cover powdercoated.
Gas Font Cylinder Auto part Rectangle

I’m using UNI motorcycle air filter foam as the valve cover breather material. This just reduces the amount of physical oil that can get pushed out the valve cover, while still letting crankcase pressures vent.
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Table Bumper

I just rolled up the foam…
Flower Petal Finger Virginia strawberry Plant

…then stuffed it into the void in the valve cover. The splash shield retains it.
Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

View inside the breather tube.
Eye Automotive lighting Human body Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

• Love

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Finished valve cover on my turbo engine. The top two valve cover vent tubes, and the side cam cover vent tube will all converge into a breather mounted on the inner fender. That breather tank will have a 3” diameter crankcase filter on it, and there will be a 5/8” hose out the bottom that returns any liquid oil collected back to the oil pan.
Motor vehicle Machine tool Office equipment Gas Engineering
Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Automotive wheel system Engineering
Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Office supplies Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Custom parts came in today. 10 mm silicone spark plug wires with just 25 ohms per foot resistance. Made to my specs in terms of boot styles and wire lengths.

I threw a set on my engine test stand just to see how they look. Not disappointed!

Just for giggles, I tested a new Magnecor 8.5 mm silicone plug wire, and it measured out at 2710 ohms of resistance!

Electrical wiring Engineering Gas Motor vehicle Machine
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Technology

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Started the plumbing and wiring of my engine test stand today. Of course I’m missing some critical parts (never fails!), but I ordered those yesterday and should see them by mid-week.

Since I discontinued working on this beast 6 years ago, I’ve forgotten most of what I originally intended. Sketches and notes help a lot, but I’m sort of winging it as I go.

For example, I added a .090’ thick aluminum shelf off the bellhousing for supporting the factory EFI computer. And I’m adding a number of grounding junction blocks to the framework to accommodate add-ons down the road.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Table Automotive design
Motor vehicle Engineering Gas Automotive design Machine
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Vehicle Auto part Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not really today, but on 9/11, I finally got the chance to take the GT out for a long drive, 500 miles round trip, with the Jet City Fiero Club, on the "Rod Run To The End Of The World" in Long Beach WA, this after I replaced almost every component other than the engine and transmission.
I recently discovered a bad gear oil leak, but only after I heard an unusual grinding sound in second. Good thing I didn't drive it much at all like that, so the lower bolt, bolted onto the bell housing had backed out and was not only the cause of dropping out of 4th every time I let the foot off the gas, but also leaving a trail from the road into my driveway!
I tightened it up before the trip, but it didn't hold and I noticed the same signs from the last time that bolt was loose, including dropping out of 4th, and a very heated up shifter. So the next time we gassed up, I got some help jacking up the car with a stock Fiero jack (mine wasn't in the car but it is NOW), and I crawled under, with the exact right tool, knowing exactly where that bolt was, and that was the only problem I had all day. The car ran great, it rumbles and roars. This engine is especially strong, 4th gear has a 5th gear if you step more on the gas, and it's the main reason I've invested the effort and $$, because this car is worth keeping going strong. It's a really nice survivor with just now, 72,000 original miles.
Anyway, the car show was a blast, there were more people and cars there than ever before, the sun was shining, weather was cool, just a perfect day, and I kept up with those Fiero GT's :)
The next day, I added nearly two quarts of gear oil, and only about half a quart of regular oil. Bolt's tight now.
oh, and since you're probably wondering, nope, there were no Opel GTs at the show. Next time I may register mine and put it out there.
Drive On!
Couple vids below from the driver's perspective, if you're inclined to watch, really nice scenery.
Rod Run 01
Return 02
Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
More work on the engine test stand today. I started with the ground junctions. Made them from 1/8” stainless steel with various sized bolts welded on…1/4”, 5/16”, and 3/8”.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Road surface Wood
Motor vehicle Guitar accessory Musical instrument Asphalt Road surface
Musical instrument Automotive tire Guitar accessory Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Rim

Next were the hard lines for the fuel system. I used some 3/8” Cupro line I had laying around for both the feed and return lines. If I end up testing something (carb’d or EFI) with 5/16” fuel lines I’ll just make up some reducers at the ends.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Camera lens Camera Camera accessory
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle frame
Wood Gas Engineering Bumper Steel casing pipe
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

Reactions: kwschumm
1081 - 1098 of 1098 Posts