Opel GT Forum banner
1101 - 1120 of 1120 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Say hello to my (NOT SO ) little friend.
I'm finally getting back to the gt.
Been finishing the truck for my son and it's been the busy season.
So the gt has been double wrapped and parked in the driveway while I clean sort and make room for my new arrival. I cut the legs up and built a rolling frame under it so I can move it around.
Plant Tree Motor vehicle Sky Gas
Wood Shade Tree Automotive exterior Tints and shades
Automotive design Grey Comfort Tints and shades Flooring

Then reorganized the garage and straightened up the tool boxes.
And my wife said I was crazy and there wouldn't be any room for it LOL getting 10 lbs of crap in a five lb bag is achievable
You just need the right bag LOL
By the time I was done I was able to get it to only a 20 sq ft foot print
She ( my wife) maybe on to something when she said ( I suppose you'll be getting a shop next ) " for the business" HEHEHE

Attachments

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Well I planned on trying my hands at playing with my timing after installing the pertronics 3 yesterday.
But the wife's allergies kicked to high gear today so I got her squared away and went into the Lewis garage to find quite things to do. ( so no engine noise today)
After getting the pertronics in yesterday and dealing with a couple hiccups the one thing still bothering me from when I repaired and or replaced the wiring under the hood and to the lights was still a rats nest.
Maybe a touch of ocd going on here but it's driving me bonkers.
So I tackled that today instead. I just hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the begonias lol
Light Motor vehicle Electricity Electronic component Audio equipment
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Electricity Gas Electrical supply

And this is after I finally got everything sorted out. the fun part was getting all that putty clap outa there yesterday to run my new wire.
Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Cable Gas Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Cable Auto part
t
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design Electrical wiring

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Then I moved onto my extra valve cover.
I was so impressed with RallyBobs polished cover (I think he sold) I wanted to clean up the one I had.
Gave it a bath to remove all the old burnt oil.
And I followed Knorms advice and got some copper scrubby pads to replace the old filters. They didn't look terrible but were brittle enough I just didn't trust them to not fall apart.
After the bath I hit it with the sand blaster to get into the little areas I couldn't seem to get to, the on to the beginning stage of polishing.
I forgot to take pics of when I started as usual I really need to get better at that But I get a little excited and jump in.
Tomorrow I'll be adding a new fuel line check valve I forgot to do when I redid all the fuel tank lines, tank etc.
Grille Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Grille Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Grille Trunk

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
813 Posts
My Opel today story actually is a few days old but wanted to pass it on. Susan and I just got back yesterday from an 18 day south west, "see the national parks trip" which included a visit with my youngest daughter in LA. While I was there I also had an opportunity to drive a white 1972 Opel Gt - very exciting, as I had never driven another GT. I had been in touch previously with The Cub and we made plans to meet while I was in the San Diego area, which was also our point of departure. I really appreciate Tom making the effort and taking the time to meet me and giving me the opportunity to drive his GT. Was a really neat experience to compare the two GT's. His car runs great and sounds really throaty, in a good way and the response from the accelerator was very impressive. Was quite the experience cruising down I-5 at 80 miles per hour, not just my usual country road experience at 55 MPH . Considering that both cars are 2.0's I noticed very little difference but wish that Tom would have had the opportunity to drive my GT as well for a real comparison. Anyway, Tom I wanted you to know that it was a pleasure to meet and to talk with you as well. Our visit lasted around 2 hours but could easily have gone 8 hours time permitting. I learned a couple of things that should improve the performance of my car and eliminate the dreaded post ignition that still plagues me.
Many thanks again Tom. I really appreciate you taking the time. If you are ever in SC please stop by and I will return the favor. Picture of me below prior to the test drive.

Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Picture of Tom below as he gets ready to depart for the drive home. The good news is the temp has dropped into the mid 70's. That is one of the great things about that area - great weather.......

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Tom got two comments, that we know of, while we were out on the road from admirers. You have got to wonder just how many people think something or say something to their passenger when they pass a GT - things like - what was that - have not seen one of those for a long time - what a cool looking car - ETC....

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Awesome and your gt looks fantastic as well

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Terry, you really did a bang up job on the wiring and the valve cover looks great. Gonna have to stop by and see it in person when I go to Tampa to see my Grandkids and son.

·
Registered
56 Posts
On a more modest note, I finally was able to clear my list of projects to the point where I could think about the Manta. Last fall I was able to put the car on a lift and see what it looked like underneath. I noticed some improvements made by PO's, not a lot of rust but some in the driver's forward jack point which should not be a big surprise, a leaky axle seal and a loose wheel bearing on the front passenger side. The car quickly went back into winter hibernation and this spring I ordered new bearings and seals from OGTS which sat in my office all summer.

So Saturday I finally changed my wood shop into a car shop, fired the Manta up and drove it home. I put the new bearings in on both wheels using my fading memory from the last time I did this back in about 1978 and managed not to get grease on everything, just some things. Sure enough the one nut on the loose wheel wasn't even hand tight but the cotter pin was still in. The old bearings didn't look too bad but no reason to put them back in the car. Maybe I will invent something that needs used bearings someday so I kept the old ones in "stock". And the seal was loose on the wheel that was loose as well.

I also fussed with my heater fan that was not working. I had acquired a used fan which was also sitting in my office for a year and swapped it out. Not being able to get to the third screw holding the fan in with a screw drive lead to me drilling the access hole that Opel forgot to install leading to an easy removal of the old fan. I place the old fan in place, hooked it up and it didn't turn unless I gave it a head start with my finger. This didn't seem like a good fix so I hooked the old fan up sitting in the engine bay and it started working correctly. So I cleaned it up, put a little lube on it and reinstalled it. Now I have a blower fan that works. Good for the cool fall days that are coming quickly.

I went for a short test drive and heard no screeching noises and the car tracked straight down the road and braked fairly straight so I think I got the bearings corrected. At least for now.

The next project was to wash and dry the car. It had acquired a layer of dust in while in storage. The car still has the original paint job, although there is some rash here and there, and the hood and trunk have pretty dead looking paint. So being in the car mode, I decided to use my Mequiar's Ultimate Compound Color & Clarity Restorer (also bought last year) on the hood and see what happens. Once I figured out a system for doing it, I actually started to see dead gray paint coming off the car and on to the bonnets on my buffer. It's a cheap buffer and the bonnets are cheaper, but it beats buffing by hand. I am starting to see some depth to the paint and a bit of a shine returning. So I will probably go over it with the compound treatment some more, and then put a coat of wax on it for winter storage. This should give me a little more time to decide whether to paint the entire car, repair and touch up the bad spots, or just shine up what I have.

My general plan is to get it to run good, ride good and look good in that order. Project's on the list include fixing the axle seal, going over all the brake system (if it runs good it should stop good too), running some tweaks in the engine area, solving the exhaust system rattle, installing a radio where the holes exist now, removing the vinyl roof, etc. Etc. includes reupholstering the seats and the rest of the interior. Etc. happens manana.

At any rate is was good to actually drive the car for a change. We had lots of nice days this summer for driving that passed me by because I didn't want to wind up in the ditch because of a bad bearing.

Thanks for reading this and keep on contributing all the good stuff I read almost every day.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My Opel today story actually is a few days old but wanted to pass it on. Susan and I just got back yesterday from an 18 day south west, "see the national parks trip" which included a visit with my youngest daughter in LA. While I was there I also had an opportunity to drive a white 1972 Opel Gt - very exciting, as I had never driven another GT. I had been in touch previously with The Cub and we made plans to meet while I was in the San Diego area, which was also our point of departure. I really appreciate Tom making the effort and taking the time to meet me and giving me the opportunity to drive his GT. Was a really neat experience to compare the two GT's. His car runs great and sounds really throaty, in a good way and the response from the accelerator was very impressive. Was quite the experience cruising down I-5 at 80 miles per hour, not just my usual country road experience at 55 MPH . Considering that both cars are 2.0's I noticed very little difference but wish that Tom would have had the opportunity to drive my GT as well for a real comparison. Anyway, Tom I wanted you to know that it was a pleasure to meet and to talk with you as well. Our visit lasted around 2 hours but could easily have gone 8 hours time permitting. I learned a couple of things that should improve the performance of my car and eliminate the dreaded post ignition that still plagues me.
Many thanks again Tom. I really appreciate you taking the time. If you are ever in SC please stop by and I will return the favor. Picture of me below prior to the test drive.

View attachment 438279
Picture of Tom below as he gets ready to depart for the drive home. The good news is the temp has dropped into the mid 70's. That is one of the great things about that area - great weather.......

View attachment 438281

Tom got two comments, that we know of, while we were out on the road from admirers. You have got to wonder just how many people think something or say something to their passenger when they pass a GT - things like - what was that - have not seen one of those for a long time - what a cool looking car - ETC....
It was a real pleasure meeting you and your wife Susan you really are remarkable people, I’d been looking forward to meeting up with you since we discussed it a month or so ago and had the time blocked out on my calendar, no chance that I was going to let a little hot weather get in the way. I’m glad you enjoyed driving the car.
I hope you and Susan really enjoyed the Hotel Del and got some well needed R & R. I really enjoyed hearing about your adventures from your vacation. Thanks for your help on my doors with my interior conversion to red, you’ve been a very big help.
I’ve made a good number of friends from our website and consider you to be one of them.

One of these days, if that hasn’t happened already we could start a thread on friends we’ve met on the site. Many come to mind, as I’m sure others will quickly agree.

·
Registered
28 Posts

View attachment 438279

View attachment 438281

Tom sounds like a great guy! Nice white GT

·
Registered
1 Posts
I do find myself occasionally talking to the Opel when working on it and the conversation isn't always pleasant,if you know what I mean.Located source of engine noise, located source of ohter engine noise, checked gas vent lines, tried to get the wipers running

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I do find myself occasionally talking to the Opel when working on it and the conversation isn't always pleasant,if you know what I mean.Located source of engine noise, located source of ohter engine noise, checked gas vent lines, tried to get the wipers running
Some days are better than others, Now if it starts talkin back you may want to seek advise on that front LOL
Welcome aboard
Set small goals, take your time so you can enjoy your moments,
If the conversation gets unpleasant walk away and take a breather ( tomorrows always a new day)
How about some pics of your opel diamond in the rough?

·
Premium Member
1970 Pearl White GT
119 Posts
I installed a new speedo cable and tried to fix the gauge. Many of you may remember my speedo dial arm disappeared on me during my trip to Carlisle this year. I was able to source a used speedo but the model # was different. I have a 1062 and i aquired a 897. Well after reading a few threads seems there were some differences in the calibration. So i carefully disassembled and swapped the arms. The repaired 1062 speedo worked great running on a drill.
Up next is a new speedo cable. I removed the old one and replaced. I have a 70gt but the newer style 4sp transmission. i ran the cable and tightened both connectors. Now both the speedo and odometer do not work. i disconnected the cable at the guage and drove down the road to verify the cable is turning. No problems there it was turning normally. I Plugged it back in and nothing. WTH! The cable looks awful low inside the sleeve on the speedo side. I should have taken a picture to post for you guys to see. Tonight i am going uninstall and verify the length of the cable vs the old one and maybe try pulling it toward the speedo if it moves Anyone have an issue like this?

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
813 Posts
A beautiful fall day inspired me to clean up and straighten up the garage today - Sunny, blue skies, and around 70 degrees and most importantly no humidity or in other words a perfect day, in the low country of South Carolina. I removed the portable AC unit from the window and cleaned and organized my work bench in preparation for the next project, yet undecided. I then decided, again based on the weather and temperature, and considering that I had not washed the GT since returning from the Fall Auto Fair at the Charlotte Motor Speedway in mid-September, that it was time to get her cleaned up for the winter storage period, however in this climate a drive during the winter is a regular occurrence. So keeping in mind that water is not a friend of a GT I just lightly spray the car and then use a mixture of water and a car wash type soap and give it a light wash, then another light spray and a towel down. Not a big job considering the car is not really dirty but wanted to remove any road grim from that historic 500 mile round trip adventure. 500 miles is the longest trip in that car since 1981 and it purred like a kitten, bringing total milage since the new engine and restoration to a grand total of 4150 miles. So the newly cleaned car soon to be under it's dust cover after any remaining water has had an opportunity to evaporate. To finish the day a couple of Miller lights. Nothing better that washing your GT except that new coat of wax and of course the miller light. Doesn't take much to make me happy.

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I have accumulated cans, boxes and drawers of miscellaneous hardware over the years. Fat lot of good it does, way too much time is burned searching for hardware that must be somewhere. At times it would be quicker to go to a hardware store than search the stash. So I got a parts organizer with 96 bins, each of which can be partitioned into 6 compartments. Now I’m sorting into metric, imperial, SAE, diameter, length, thread, head style, hardness, material, color, etc, etc. I must be nuts.

·
Super Moderator
13,984 Posts
Building Automotive lighting Fixture Wood Automotive exterior
I have accumulated cans, boxes and drawers of miscellaneous hardware over the years. Fat lot of good it does, way too much time is burned searching for hardware that must be somewhere. At times it would be quicker to go to a hardware store than search the stash. So I got a parts organizer with 96 bins, each of which can be partitioned into 6 compartments. Now I’m sorting into metric, imperial, SAE, diameter, length, thread, head style, hardness, material, color, etc, etc. I must be nuts.
I feel your pain!

One of my winter projects will be to FINALLY consolidate 37 years worth of automotive and Opel-specific fasteners/clips/hardware into one stand-alone storage unit. It will take time but should save months of searching while working on projects.

1101 - 1120 of 1120 Posts