Opel GT Forum banner
1181 - 1195 of 1195 Posts

·
Registered
The Young One
530 Posts
And for those that missed it 6 years ago, this is the cold air radiused-entry carburetor hood I built. Not only cold air, but also smooths the air entry for a nice bump in overall airflow.

I originally built this for a GT, but guess what? It didn’t fit under the hood. But there’s plenty of room under the hood of an Ascona.

You’ll notice I don’t give a crap about the exterior appearance. It’s all about the internal airflow.
View attachment 439297 View attachment 439298 View attachment 439299 View attachment 439300 View attachment 439301 View attachment 439302
That is very nice. I really like it.

·
Super Moderator
14,056 Posts
My Weber gasket kit came in today. I ordered it from Carbparts.eu in Czechia as I have been following these guys on Facebook for a while. They not only sell replica and OEM Weber carbs, they make a lot of their own parts in-house that are otherwise not normally available. They were also the only place I found that had the oddball secondary accelerator pump diaphragm listed for sale. I ordered on Nov 2nd, received everything on Nov 15th.

In retrospect I should have ordered more parts from them such as jets and emulsion tubes. My personal inventory is a little low and as it turns out I’m out of F66 emulsion tubes. Next time I guess.

Motor vehicle Rectangle Font Circle Auto part

I started templating the rear ‘boxes’ or baseplates for my rollcage in my Sportwagon. They will be sitting up sort of high for a couple of reasons.

One, I want to reinforce the shock tower areas and this acts as a gusset of sorts to tie it into the side of the unibody.

Two, I’m keeping the rear seat back for a storage cover, and in order for the rear rollcage braces to clear the seat back when it’s in the upright position they need to be positioned up fairly high.

I’m using 11 gauge (.125”) thick steel for the rollcage boxes/baseplates and I’ll be skinning the unibody with 14 gauge steel wherever the boxes intersect on edge. I’m building to FIA article 253 specs which is minimum 3 mm (.118”) thick for rally use. It would allow the cage to be legal for hillclimbs, track days, time trials, Solo 1, etc.

Light Black Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

·
Super Moderator
14,056 Posts
Holy Bejeesus. So this car is going to be a luxury car/daily driver/rally race car/hill climb/ dirt track/mud bog tractor pull/demo derby/garage queen?
Lol, not quite that extreme. Certainly not a luxury car. Looking more like a daily driver for NH back roads. Many of our roads are gravel…or at least the ones I drive on are.

But I’d like to be able to take it to an autocross, a rallycross, track day, or a hillclimb in New England.

All I would need to do is swap suspension springs, re-align, swap wheels/tires, install a racing seat and belts.

·
Super Moderator
14,056 Posts
Today after my chores were done I popped out the rear side glass on the Sportwagon. Then I continued templating the rear rollcage baseplates.

I’m holding a piece of tubing roughly in the location that the rear cage supports will be positioned.
Wood Automotive exterior Composite material Bumper Gas

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Paint Motor vehicle

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive tire

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Vehicle door

Reactions: Young Gt Lover

·
Super Moderator
14,056 Posts
Slow week I guess. Been working on lots of home projects, some parts for friend’s cars, and some shop projects. In fact I’m heading to Connecticut tomorrow to drop off a big batch of stuff for powdercoating, and to have a flywheel resurfaced for my Sportwagon. There are no auto machine shops anywhere near me!

I removed the windshield from the Sportwagon and cleaned up all the rubber and sealer from the sheetmetal. I also got the driver’s side window openings cleaned up of all the sealer gunk too.

Lastly I drilled out the spot welds on the inner seat mount pedestal. I’m not going to use OEM Sportwagon seats, but instead will mount up a set of Recaro Manta 400 seats I’ve hand sitting around for years.

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood

Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Wall
Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car Tire

·
Super Moderator
14,056 Posts
I was on the road all day today. I headed down to Connecticut from southern New Hampshire. On the way, I made two stops in Massachusetts.

The first stop was to meet someone in Springfield who had a 1973 Toyota Corolla. Yea, I know, non-Opel content, but a 1972 Toyota was actually my first car. I finally got rid of that car last year (my family had it since new!), and I was getting rid of some unused parts I had found this spring. I couldn’t bring myself to throwing them out. So I met up with this guy with a similar story to mine…the car had been in his family for two generations. He was so happy to get the parts (if you think Opel parts are hard to get, try finding 1971-1974 Corolla parts), and it kind of made my day since he was happier than hell to get them.

Next stop was to drop off some waste motor oil at a friend’s who uses it to heat his shop. He was grateful as well. I threw him a pack of gummie bears I had picked up on the trip down because he has a real sweet tooth. That DEFINITELY made his day, more than the oil. I felt like Santa today!

Onward to the powder coat shop. I had a few bits and pieces I wanted done. First off, five 1975 Opel wheels to be done gloss white. These are for my Sportwagon project with the 165/80R13 off road tires.

Then a set of Craftsman car ramps I’ve owned since I was 12 years old! Yup, that’s 43 years now. I had slightly damaged one of them driving my truck onto it. I did some weld-on reinforcements and upgrades to strengthen them up.

Also I brought a set of Craftsman jack stands I modified for use in a dirt parking lot or driveway. I welded on some 1/8 x 3” stainless steel foot pads so they wouldn’t dig in. They will be freshly powdercoated to match the ramps. Eventually I will upgrade and powdercoat all my jack stands to match. I think I have 10 or so in my shop.

I also have an Opel oil pan and valve cover getting coated in black textured powdercoat, these are the items for my EFI turbo engine for the Sportwagon.

After all this powder coating stuff was dropped off, I stopped by a friend’s machine shop down the road a few miles. There I glass-beaded an old flywheel I had, and had it surfaced flat. This is a standard 1.9 flywheel which I previously had machined for a Chevy S-10 clutch about 30 years ago. I believe it’s the first one I ever had done in fact, long before the aluminum S-10 Opel flywheels were a thing.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive parking light

Wood Cylinder Gas Auto part Machine
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Automotive design
Tin Tableware Automotive lighting Serveware Food

Shoe Gesture Art Sculpture Font
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Bumper Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exhaust
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Light Product

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim

·
Opel Rallier since 1977
2,301 Posts
Hey Bob, I noticed the mention of FIA 253. Been a while but IIRC, they only spec CDS tubing.

I think I used the same Carbparts for my last Weber DOCE parts order. They were FAST to ship to VA and very reasonably priced, and replied quickly to questions.

·
Super Moderator
14,056 Posts
Hey Bob, I noticed the mention of FIA 253. Been a while but IIRC, they only spec CDS tubing.
True, but in the US… CDS, DOM, or Docol is allowed.

·
Super Moderator
14,056 Posts
Didn’t do squat today. Well, not true, did a lot of honey-do’s.

In between I primed and painted my flywheel (pet peeve of mine, I hate rusty flywheels).
Yellow Automotive tire Wood Circle Gas

Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber Automotive design

Wheel Automotive tire Tire Alloy wheel Rim

Automotive tire Wheel Vehicle brake Motor vehicle Rim

Then I cut out and bent up one more 1/8” plate for the rear rollcage mount. Fits like a glove.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Hood Naval architecture Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering

Lastly, I templated the rear-most plate of the rollcage rear platform.
Gas Machine Composite material Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

·
Registered
859 Posts
Don't know where you are in NH, and I doubt they will give you the run of their shop, but, if you need a machine ship I can highly recommend R&L Engines in Dover. I do recognize that distances can be deceiving, in that, using Keen, NH as a starting point, you are about equidistant to Dover NH and Hartford, CT

·
Super Moderator
14,056 Posts
Don't know where you are in NH, and I doubt they will give you the run of their shop, but, if you need a machine ship I can highly recommend R&L Engines in Dover. I do recognize that distances can be deceiving, in that, using Keen, NH as a starting point, you are about equidistant to Dover NH and Hartford, CT

I appreciate the info. I’m west of Keene by about 10 minutes. There is absolutely nothing around here for machine shops.

Looks like I’m around 2 hours and 10 minutes from Dover. The trouble with NH as you may know, is there are virtually no interstates running east to west. So that would be all backroads for me.

I was heading to CT anyway, and the guy who owns the machine shop has been a friend of mine since we were in high school. He also knows Opels pretty well. He does a lot of my basic work and prototype work, and he’s only an hour and 20 minutes away. All interstate travel.

For more involved work I use All Cape machine in Hyannis MA. A much further drive at around 3 hours, but they do very nice work and at a decent price point. And they know the Opel nuances too. Plus they have an engine dyno WITH the Opel adapters already made.

But some day I’m sure they will all retire and I’ll need to find a new shop.

Reactions: terrylewisac
1181 - 1195 of 1195 Posts