Opel GT Forum banner
1301 - 1314 of 1314 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,713 Posts
Since I’m sending out the headlight surround flanges for fresh zinc plating, I figured I’d shine up the headlight trim rings that secure the headlights in place.

Not too bad for 50-year old chrome.
Jewellery Circle Metal Fashion accessory Personal protective equipment
Watch Gesture Finger Thumb Wrist
Liquid Fluid Water Jewellery Glass

·
Registered
1969 Opel GT 1.9L.
144 Posts
Last weekend I replaced the wheel cylinders and shoes. One cylinder was leaking real bad and brake fluid contaminated everything. The other one wasn't leaking. Can you tell the difference between the two? I don't even remember which is which. This is a clear example of what happens when a car isn't driven enough. The PO barely ever drove the car. Since purchasing, we also had to replace one front caliper because the puck was frozen inside.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
These cars like to be driven! I was 22 years old when I purchased my GT and I have had it now for over 50 years. Nothing puts a smile on my face like taking her for a ride on the backroads of northern Indiana and southwest Michigan. Listen to the tunes or the engine and enjoy. I had to have a couple of stents put in my heart and a couple "cleaned" out two weeks ago and laying on that table caused reflection. One of the first things I did when I was able was take that little car for a spirited ride and sure enough, I smiled!

Drive them and enjoy them!

Paul in Michigan

·
Vendor
3,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,305 ·
These cars like to be driven! I was 22 years old when I purchased my GT and I have had it now for over 50 years. Nothing puts a smile on my face like taking her for a ride on the backroads of northern Indiana and southwest Michigan. Listen to the tunes or the engine and enjoy. I had to have a couple of stents put in my heart and a couple "cleaned" out two weeks ago and laying on that table caused reflection. One of the first things I did when I was able was take that little car for a spirited ride and sure enough, I smiled!

Drive them and enjoy them!

Paul in Michigan
Paul, Good to hear that you are back on your feet, and back behind the wheel. Keep that plumbing clean and that ticker happy. ;-)

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,687 Posts
Today I organized a corner of my small basement and decided to throw away the firewall/floorboards/dash area that I used to make my latest dash and make a seat adapter video. I also threw away the upper half of a GT nose that I used to make my pop up headlight mod and video. Rusty crap, useless to anyone, and only of any good if I was going to make another dash or do a crazy headlight mod. No more of that stuff, so time to get that nasty junk out of my basement and gain some precious space. Trash day is Tuesday.

Plant Wood Building Window Gas

Plant Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Wood

·
Registered
230 Posts
Today my son came over and we went out in the shop and installed my new SS front bumper and chromed grill. Those two center bolts are a _! You can fill in the blank, lol. We finally got it all installed. I also repainted my Auto Plas louver back to Satin Black this morning. Should be able to install tomorrow. I want it dry before pushing on it into place.
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Grille

Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Tire Wheel Car Plant Vehicle

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Grille

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive parking light Grille

Grille Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Today I organized a corner of my small basement and decided to throw away the firewall/floorboards/dash area that I used to make my latest dash and make a seat adapter video. I also threw away the upper half of a GT nose that I used to make my pop up headlight mod and video. Rusty crap, useless to anyone, and only of any good if I was going to make another dash or do a crazy headlight mod. No more of that stuff, so time to get that nasty junk out of my basement and gain some precious space. Trash day is Tuesday.

View attachment 446494

View attachment 446495
I'll be there Monday LOL

·
Super Moderator
14,713 Posts
I’d grab that front GT clip from you if I was closer! Would look cool on my shop wall.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
16,687 Posts
I’d grab that front GT clip from you if I was closer! Would look cool on my shop wall.
I got it from Charlie, who was holding onto it because it was a decent upper nose area. The belly pan is totally gone and the buckets are almost ready to fall off due to rust. I could take an angle grinder to it and chop off the remnants of the buckets, which would leave the fairly decent top skin in place and make it flatter, lighter, and easier to ship. Some RallyBob polishing to make it chromy or a lick of spray paint ought to make it displayable. Let me know if you want me to send it to you.

Road surface Paint Asphalt Wood Watercraft

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive lighting Hood Road surface Bumper Motor vehicle

Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber Bumper Automotive design

Helmet Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

Helmet Automotive tire Hood Tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
230 Posts
Today, my GT is on my lift as I'm servicing the newly rebuilt differential I installed last month. So instead of the GT, I'm taking the Kadett to a car show here in Wichita. It's Africa hot here today so I won't stay long but want to show support for the guys that are trying to establish a Saturday evening car show on the East side of Wichita. My Kadett Caravan does hold its own against other cars and I get lots of questions about it. Most people over 50 remember having one in their family or know

a neighbor who had one. Fun conversations.

·
Registered
1970 Opel Gt - Purchased July 1972 - Chartreuse - restored - 3000 miles as of 02-16, 2021 -
1,052 Posts
My daughter was in town from LA this weekend and she did a lot of GT driving - some with me as a passanger and some solo and she is getting pretty damn good at it, this being her only 4 speed experience over the past few years. We spend part of Friday and Saturday on the road and also in the garage going over things that I think she needs to know. She has a bit of mechanical aptitude, has been changing her own brakes since she was 17, father daughter project and she had be doing that job ever since, but I can't tell her everything so just trying to hit the high points that she may need to know. Of course she knows about this site and how much information is available. I also told her when she has possession of the car that there are a lot of good people in California that may be willing to help her if she has a problem. My goal is to have everything in great shape so hopefully she will not have issues for a long time. At this point nothing is older than 4950 miles and most of the things that are really important are much newer and up to date, brake system all new as of two years ago, all new hoses, belt, water pump, etc etc.. Anyway a great visit and a great Opel GT weekend.............

1301 - 1314 of 1314 Posts