Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since a lot of Opels are coming out of their winter hibernation about now, I was wondering what people did to their Opels over the winter? Upgrades, painting, etc.

I'll start it off

Bled the 25+ year old brake fluid out of the system and replaced with new. Master Cylinder was replaced back in '82. Brakes work much better now.

Installed new(used) Brake Warning Switch on Master cylinder. No more Red Light on Dash.:veryhappy

Replaced the Dash with an uncut one and reinstalled the Opel GT AM radio. AM/FM/CD/MP3 player will be stashed under the drivers seat with remote control.

Replaced all 3 carb to intake gaskets and installed a new spacer. Runs much nicer now. Idles great.

OK, lets hear from the rest of you.

·
Über Genius
8,966 Posts
All I did was buy one (two) over the winter.

Speaking for my sons (one that I bought) I rebuilt the motor .030 oversized pistons. Now its getting the body work done.

The other, all I did was fire it up real quick.

·
Opeler
113 Posts
Outta hibernation

So far all i done is replace the points and condenser and an oil change. I also got me a new shifter boot from OGTS. Will be taking it out soon. Also looking for a local reupholstery shop to gut the seats and make them look good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have spent past 5 months working on the wagon and this week it is getting shot with a new coat of paint. The body and paint should be flawless with hundreds of hors in body work done to it. The car is also getting a new water pump and fan shroud. Also need to refill the nitrous bottle. :haha:

·
Opel-ing since '74
1,138 Posts
Do we HAVE to do something to them ? :lmao:

Actually, so far I've only replaced the battery on the GT.

The Manta is the problem child this Spring. :ugh:

Rick

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,484 Posts
Nothing, zip, zilch, zippo. :sigh:

Duane

·
Opel Addicts
2,463 Posts

Duane
Same here. For the first time in many years we did absolutely nothing on the cars over the winter. We put our feet up in the evening and on the weekend and became couch potatoes. It was actually, kind of nice for a change.

Now, however, the work begins.

Vickie & Allen

·
Manta Owner
260 Posts
Done something?

I aquired two '74 Mantas. One need alot of work, the other is just a parts car. These are the first in many years for me. I owned a GT in high school.

Dean

·
Kalifornia Kid
551 Posts
Tank Tank Mods.

Pulled the GT fuel tank.
Cut a 7/8" hole, installed a 1/2" weldable bung fitting.
Baffled the tank.
Reinstalled yesterday.
Now running the 1/2" hard metal fuel line to the Bosch EFI pump.

Next project, rip the dash out and have the heater core rebuilt.

·
1971 GT
635 Posts
Removed a small rust bubble from a wheel arch and POR-15'd the wheel well. Accumulated the parts necessary to build a cold air intake and squirrelled away the funds for the sway bars.

Too cold to do much else BRRR

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
Front end rebuild:

- new Upper and Lower Control arm sleeves and bushings installed

- new upper and Lower Ball Joints installed

- new Tie Rod Ends installed

- new (stock) front spring installed

- Preliminary MEGA Wiring Diagram drawn

- Car re-wiring begun

- Por-15d the floorpans

- removed interior

- sealed leaky gas tank petcock

- Removed old sound deadening material and replaced with Second Skin Damplifier and Ensolite foam

- fixed passenger side window regulator

--- To Do ---

- Brake rebuild

- Replace Wheel bearings

- Finish new Wiring

- repair heater core

- re-install interior

- install new stereo

- install cold air intake system

- fix rust bubbles

- remove undercoating and replace with epoxy paint

- DRIVE FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,484 Posts

Duane
I should probably be more specific about this. I actually did a lot of Opel work this winter if I count building the hill climb car, however, I did zip, zilch, zippo to my road cars. As Vickie said, "now the work begins" to get things ready for Carlisle. I have to address something on every car and time is running short....

Duane

·
1,284 Posts
I have to address something on every car and time is running short....

Duane
How is the blue car coming along?

I have been prepping the 74 Manta by stripping the red paint, fixing some rust and patching some holes. I am hoping to have it ready for paint by the end of April. I will not be doing any engine, interior or rebuilding any front or rear ends until after Carlisle.

·
Kick a little asphalt
1,484 Posts
How is the blue car coming along?

I have been prepping the 74 Manta by stripping the red paint, fixing some rust and patching some holes. I am hoping to have it ready for paint by the end of April. I will not be doing any engine, interior or rebuilding any front or rear ends until after Carlisle.
Umm, that would be the zip, zilch, zippo part. :sigh:

Duane

·
Opeler
17 Posts
Purchased engine and transmission cross-members for my 2.3 Turbo Ford motor. Removed everything from the GT (interior, engine, trans., etc.). Began sandblasting the car...will need new fiberglass parts :sigh:. Going to send the 8.8" Ford rear end into a shop to get narrowed soon. I'm hoping to be running by mid-summer and competing in Rich Christensen's Arm Drop Live event at my local drag strip.

·
Senior Contributor
4,977 Posts
Much of what I have done is in my "Off To The Sandblaster" thread. I installed my interior, radio, Sirius adapter, SS collar on the clutch cable, re-aligned a sagging passenger side door and found that the body shop forgot to tighten two of the bolts which caused the problem in the first place, put vibration dampeners on the MegaSquirt computer and relay boards, filled the gas tank all the way to the top for the first time since I fixed the leaks it had and found the the fixes worked, installed the trim around the pop out windows, replaced the dizzy with the oil pump drive stub that I made, fixed a seal that was showing under one of the headlight buckets. Still more to do before Carlisle, but I am getting there.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,956 Posts
last night: re adjusted the clutch and refit my clutch cable..i think I got it figured out now..i learned 5 ways how not to do it.

to do for carlilse:

1- have green slime removed from front wheels and have the tires rebalanced.
2-install new calipers,pads and rotors..bleed system ,etc....first timer on this.
3- install drive line rubber donut
redo 1-3 X3=9*

* knowing me, I will have to do each of these things 3 times to get it right,so my list is 9 items long NOT 3.

I think these 3 things will get the girl ...halfway across the US and back.

cosmetic items like interior carpet...can wait

·
Senior Contributor
4,977 Posts
last night: re adjusted the clutch and refit my clutch cable..i think I got it figured out now..i learned 5 ways how not to do it.

to do for carlilse:

1- have green slime removed from front wheels and have the tires rebalanced.
2-install new calipers,pads and rotors..bleed system ,etc....first timer on this.
3- install drive line rubber donut
redo 1-3 X3=9*

* knowing me, I will have to do each of these things 3 times to get it right,so my list is 9 items long NOT 3.

I think these 3 things will get the girl ...halfway across the US and back.

cosmetic items like interior carpet...can wait
Get started, you have a lot to do and not much time. Those brakes can bring some nasty surprises if they have not been touched in a long time.
The donut is no cake walk either hmmmmmm........

·
Super Moderator
13,490 Posts
The donut is no cake walk either hmmmmmm........
20 minutes on my lift....:D

I will NEVER do that job again laying on my back in my driveway!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts