Opel GT Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
2,054 Posts
  • Ported the Intake to the Weber 32/34.
  • Converted Weber from water-choke to electric-choke.
  • Replaced the exhaust system with 2" as per RallyBob's recipe.
  • Replaced motor mounts & transmission mount.

·
Super Moderator
13,493 Posts
Guess I should mention I did squat to my wagon over the winter. Always working on something else! (usually somebody else's stuff as well). Today, built some exhaust pipes for a 2009 Yamaha R1 bike for a friend of mine.

But yesterday I finished my oil pan for my wagon I've been working on since last weekend. Well, not quite finished...I need to weld on two -10 AN fittings to the pan and I ordered those today from Summit. Once I have them welded on it's officially done. It's higher capacity, baffled, trap doors, temp sender added, drain tubes for future mods (turbo and breather return).

Yesterday I also decided to calculate the compression ratio of the temporary engine I'm putting in my wagon. I decided to keep it low buck. Labor is free for me, but I wanted to use stuff I already have laying around. I'm using a 40,000 mile 2.2 shortblock, and a 50,000+ mile 1.9H head. I figured since the head was already a small-chamber head, and it was milled .030", it would crank my compression ratio up a bit. So I cc'd the head yesterday, and got the following results.

Head chamber: 47.6 cc's
2.0 gasket: 6.00 cc's
deck height: 1.26 cc's
valve notches: 2.00 cc's
ring land volume: 1.22 cc's
cylinder swept volume: 549.336 cc's

Total volume at BDC: 607.416 cc's
Total volume at TDC: 58.08 cc's

So I get 10.458:1 compression. Since I want to run no more than 89 octane, it means I have to put in a bigger cam than I originally planned on doing to drop the cylinder pressures to a more reasonable level. But at least now I *know* for sure, the guesswork is gone!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Rechromed entire front end including grill.Getrag 5 speed. Lightened flywheel.Rear brakes,reconditioned gas tank,electric fuel pump & Oil pressure switch.Replaces ventinting gas lines.An expensive winter!

·
Registered
339 Posts
How is the blue car coming along?

I have been prepping the 74 Manta by stripping the red paint, fixing some rust and patching some holes. I am hoping to have it ready for paint by the end of April. I will not be doing any engine, interior or rebuilding any front or rear ends until after Carlisle.
You forgot to mention the sawzall you took to it a couple of weeks ago so you can install small bumpers and the interior we stripped out of your 75 Manta.

As for me. I finally managed to rebuild the rear deck on my Ascona, cover it with fabric and install it. This week the interior (except for the headliner) should be completed along with the stereo installation.

·
UFOpel Investigator
3,472 Posts
On Manta.
Oil+filter change.
New Koni's f+r
New Addco RSB.
New Sumitomo HTR200's
General inspection.
Passed shakedown run.

Ready for Carlisle round trip! :yup:

·
1000 Post Club
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wow, it sounds like a lot of people have been doing major things. Keep it coming. Opelitis doesn't rest over the winter.

BTW, when I reinstalled my dash, the clock started to work. It loses time, but it moves!!

·
Opel Intern
1,290 Posts
Wow, it sounds like a lot of people have been doing major things. Keep it coming. Opelitis doesn't rest over the winter.

BTW, when I reinstalled my dash, the clock started to work. It loses time, but it moves!!
Check the voltage going to the clock. If its low, the clock would most likely lose time.

·
1000 Post Club
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Will do. I rebuilt it years ago. It is the earlier model clock from a 69-70 which is repairable. It only worked for a day or so last time before it quit. I'm more worried about battery drain than operating correclty. It sits for weeks at a time between outings.

·
Italian opel owner
218 Posts
Well as for winter work, I saved money so that I would be able to work on mine in nice weather, that was my winter work, my opel or (snopels) sat out all winter the 70 piled up a good 18+ inces on top of her the 69 did the same, and the inside filled up almost all the way to the headliner, it was 62 here the other day, and was nice weather they melted all off and dried out.....now its 27 and 6 inches of snow... :banghead:

Mike,

·
Über Genius
8,967 Posts
Well as for winter work, I saved money so that I would be able to work on mine in nice weather, that was my winter work, my opel or (snopels) sat out all winter the 70 piled up a good 18+ inces on top of her the 69 did the same, and the inside filled up almost all the way to the headliner, it was 62 here the other day, and was nice weather they melted all off and dried out.....now its 27 and 6 inches of snow... :banghead:

Mike,
You know, there is this new high tech invention called a "tarp".

~LOL~

Sorry, couldn't resist:p

·
GT Owner, Ascona Mechanic
288 Posts
Had my seats reappholstered and a few more interior detailing things....now working on some rust bubbles at numerous locations on the exterior (not fun trying to match the non standard paint color) but so far so good.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,956 Posts
cleaning out green slime for flats

1- have green slime removed from front wheels and have the tires rebalanced.
I didnt realize the green slime dries out, anyway..I had my front tires removed because I ordered Sumitomo 185/70/13
for my car from tire rack.

I also repolished and clear coated my rims ,maybe that will keep the oxide at bay.

Getting ready for carlisle and the cross country trip.

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,956 Posts
getting ready for carlisle too

today was a big opel day.
new outer tie rods
new rubber flex lines
new greenstuff pads/rotors
1 pint of new brake fluid.

Attachments

·
GT hoarder
132 Posts
I did some exterior work (sorry for the crappy pics) this is all temporary until I get a real paint job but I decided to try out the stripes I am eventually going to get, painted the rear pannel black, and finnished it off with a trim piece from shucks :)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts