Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought another Kadett, and it has to be the ugliest of all the Kadetts, but I can't find any information on what the body is called. It's a 2-door, so it is definatly not an Olympia, but it isn't a Sedan (model 31), Sport Sedan (model 91), Sport Coupe (Rallye, model 92), Wagon (model 39) or Coupe (GT, model 93), as I have had one or more of each of those. I have no Idea what to call it, besides the obvious unflattering names.

is this perhaps the (model 95) Deluxe Sport Coupe? Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
more

The odd part is the "C" pillar. It is just too wierd. The nose and lights identify it as a '67 or '68, but I don't have paperwork for sure yet.

It also has power brakes, which is VERY odd for a 1.1 car with a manual transmission, especially for a '67-8. This thing might even be less common than the Sport sedan I ahd last year. Wierd.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it would

It would, but I don't have it yet. The car is in AZ, and the seller hasn't sent me the VIN yet.

·
Administrator
10,214 Posts
Upon further review....

oldopelguy said:
It would, but I don't have it yet. The car is in AZ, and the seller hasn't sent me the VIN yet.
That's what I get for replying before the second cup of coffee kicked in. :D I thought that the dirt and rocks looked a little out of place for Saratoga Springs in December.

But upon further review, it is a 1966/1967 Model 32 Sport Coupe.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sport coupe, eh?

I wonder what's suposed to be "sporty" about it, aspecialy with a 1.1?
How odd.
Thanks Gary.

·
Opeler
86 Posts
Stephen, beauty is certainly in the eyes of the beholder! Consider me in an infinitesimal minority, but I've always felt the upswept rear-window to be far more 'stylish' than the P-40'ish rear window of the later Kadett B's. :) This body style and year are also of my first (distant) Opel memories. While traipsing through a forgotten junkyard somewhere in the hollows of southern Indiana with my father in about 1969 I recall seeing a '66 or '67 Opel for the very first time. It was white, and for whatever reason the missing driveshaft was the only item lacking from returning it to roadworthiness. We chuckle about 'the one that got away' from time to time and wish we could time-jump back to that junkyard with the $50 - $100 it would take to tow it home and put it in the garage until today. Thanks for the memories!:D

·
Opeler
25 Posts
Nice and rare car! Over here they are called "Kadett Super L Coupè" -The nice one on the pic is a 1967 I saw at a car show....

Attachments

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Old Kadetts & Rekords

Whenever I see discussions of the older Opels imported from the late 50's to mid-sixties...I always wonder what's become of Bill Daley (of Bill Daley Opel Parts & Service) He was a big fan of the early Rekords and Kadetts imported here. Last time I visited him, he had two GTs, a Rekord and an old Kadett...all in pristine condition. Does anyone know if Bill lurks about these forums??

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
still kicking

I actually spoke with Bill Daley a couple of weeks ago. While I'm not sure he is online much, he's still around and sounds to be doing OK.

Mack, truth be told, I paid just over $200 for the car and a couple months of storage on it. The big question now is how am I going to get it from AZ to SD, with me still being stationed in NY?

Any of the KC crowd interested in a vacation to Las Vegas in the next couple of months in a pickup, minivan, or SUV? I'll spot you gas money for the whole trip if you bring the Kadett back to KC with you. My Astro actually got better mileage with a Kadett in tow than without, and I'll send you everything you need for a smooth tow. If you've got a trailer or dolly available and are willing to treck to St Louie first, Calvin might appreciate his Toyota being taken down with you enough to spot you a place to stay. Come-on guys, free trip to Vegas in the winter, all you need is a week off and a pickup....

·
Driver
987 Posts

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
1.1 Kadett

Stephen - The pictures of your Kadett and the other posters who commented, really piqued my curiosity. I actually like the lines of it more so than the later Kadetts. That 'C' pillar gives it a very unique line. In one of your posts, you questioned the "sportiness" of a 1.1 liter engine. After doing some follow-up reading and research...it seems the 1.1 was designed to rev much higher in order to keep it in the usable torque curve. Apparently that's how they were intended to be driven. The smaller the engine...the more it needs to rev. Much like the little 3-cylinder I had for years. I bought it brand new, kept the revs up constantly, changed the oil faithfully, wore the shifter linkages completely out...and it finally gave up the ghost at 328,000 miles!! I've never owned one....but I'm guessing Opel's little 1.1 was a pretty torquey little power plant if kept in the proper RPM range. Perhaps someday soon you'll have an opportunity to find out.

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Re: more

oldopelguy said:
The odd part is the "C" pillar. It is just too wierd. The nose and lights identify it as a '67 or '68, but I don't have paperwork for sure yet.

It also has power brakes, which is VERY odd for a 1.1 car with a manual transmission, especially for a '67-8. This thing might even be less common than the Sport sedan I ahd last year. Wierd.
I also noticed that it has a "convex" rear window, where my '69 coupe has a "concave". Was this true of all the earlier model coupes? Have REALLY become fond of my little Kadett LS since I bought it in Seattle. Fun little car which gets LOTS of "double takes". :D

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Re: 1.1 Kadett

Sportwagon75 said:
Stephen - The pictures of your Kadett and the other posters who commented, really piqued my curiosity. . . . In one of your posts, you questioned the "sportiness" of a 1.1 liter engine. After doing some follow-up reading and research . . . I'm guessing Opel's little 1.1 was a pretty torquey little power plant if kept in the proper RPM range. Perhaps someday soon you'll have an opportunity to find out.
The 11SR "Rallye" version, 9.2CR, hotter cam and twin 1-bbl downdrafts, is a pretty peppy performer for its size but, even with the 1.9's weight disadvantage, doesn't stack up very well overall against the much torquier 1.9. Gotta LOVE it's uniqueness and overall looks though! :D

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
3, so far

I've actually had 3 Kadetts with 1.1L motors; this makes Kadett #9 for me. One 1.1 car happened to be the fastest stoplight-to-stoplight car I ever had, but the 5500rpm at 60mph never made me all that comfortable for the long haul. I guess that would make it "sort-o-sporty." Someday I'll build a full-tilt 1.1 with a Judson supercharger on it just to see it go, but probably not with this car.

In case anyone's interested, I'd actually give the complete car away to anyone who could get me as nice a front clip for my wagon. I hate destroying a nice car as much as the next guy, but I can't seem to come up with fenders any other way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts