Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is mainly posed to those with pretty much stock GTs, but I don't want to leave anyone out.

I've never met another GT owner in person, but I've seen a few in traffic. I noticed that the ones that appeared to look stock were rather quiet.

I thought my '73 GT was stock. It's got a Solex, standard intake/exhaust manifolds, standard ignition, etc. However, it's loud at idle, and really loud at mid-high RPMs. The PO claimed to have replaced the muffler and full exhaust. However, after getting under the car, I realized that he replaced the rear resonator, and ran a straight pipe to the exhaust manifold. If I'm not mistaken, even the '73 had a front muffler above or in front of the rear axle. This is typical of the PO...anything to save a buck. I'm still undoing some of his jerry-rigging.

To be honest though, now that I've had the car awhile, I really love the sound. I like my cars (sports models anyway) to be a bit loud, but with a good sound. I hate those farty Civics I see everywhere. And on my '74 Manta I tried replacing the stock muffler with a glasspack, and I ended up with what sounded like a lawnmower. I wouldn't trade my GT's sound for anything now though. It's got a great powerful sound for a 4 cyl, and not a bit farty or cackly. And I get to set off a few car alarms with it as I drive by :D

So, what does your GT sound like? :)

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Scott;
Obviously, the only muffler you have is at the rear. On my GT and Sportwagons (I have 2) I have used this method and the sound is, as you say, not like the "rice-burners", but, it definitely has an "authoritive growl" which mellows out a bit as the system warms up, but, will sound off when you nail the "hammer", but, again, still NOT like the rice-burners. Mine are 2" in dia, basically a stock head-pipe configuration, back to the front muffler (ahead of the rear axle), a custom bent, over the axle pipe, then, as in the GT, a custom "U" shaped pipe to match the openings in the back, with chrome pencil tips on it. The Sportwagons differ, in that, they have a twin tube tail section just meeting the end of the bumper. One of the Sportwagons has a resonated ANSA section I bought off EBAY. I don't know what it originally fit, but, the section I finally used, fit perfectly! The other Sportwagon has a custom made stainless steel twin pipe that was made by a Opel member in Belgium.
http://www.opelgt.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2043&highlight=custom+exhaust
Here's the link to one of the Sportwagon exhaust. the GT and other Sportwagon exhaust are at:
community.webshots.com/user/bqs4

Look under "custom exhausts"
Gene

·
333 Posts
I agree...nothing made in the last 10 years sounds like an Opel 1.9. I have been around a-lot of open piped cars...(what did you say:D

It sounds deeper,stronger, not raspy like so many of the imports today do. I ran my MR2 with open pipes after replacing the clutch this year...just to hear it. My MR2 sounds good and is pretty quiet but I will take my opel anyday...it just sounds mean.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like how you guys described the sound..."authoritative growl", "deep", "strong". My thoughts exactly :D I've never heard a better sounding 4-cyl than an Opel 1.9. I've had three now, one totally stock (quiet), one with a glasspack (the lawnmower), and my current GT. My favorite sounding one by far is the GT sans front muffler.

Gene, I was going to say that your setup sounded just like mine until I looked at your pics. They're similar in that they have only one muffler, but mine has an OEM rear muffler/resonator. Not sure if it's technically a muffler...OGTS refers to it as a resonator. Personally, I don't know the technical differences. Anyway, the muffler/resonator has the chrome twin tips coming out from it. This connects to the exhaust manifold via a straight pipe with no front muffler.

She starts up with a roar, and at idle has a nice, somewhat more subtle purr. Eventually I'll have her running stronger so that the performance lives up to the sound. Right now her bark is worse than her bite ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Scott;
The only muffler I have on all three systems, is a MIDAS, off-the-shelf, small straight in-out 2" muffler. That's the other beauty behind the system. I can go to ANY MIDAS in the country and get them replaced, for free! As MIDAS' garantee states, "For as long as I own the car", and trust me, I have had, and will have these for a long time. I'll have to figure out how to take and make a ".wav" file with my laptop and post it for all to hear. It's really funny, in that, on the 2 Sportwagons I have, the blue one has an ANSA resonated tip, and the green Sportwagon has just a straight twin pipe, but, the green Sportwagon is quieter than the blue Sportwagon, go figure!:D But, all of them are are loud (not like the rice-burners) at start-up, but, mellow out when warmed up. But, jump on the hammer and they'll let you know that you're not just 'ambling along!:D

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
BQS4 said:
Scott;
The only muffler I have on all three systems, is a MIDAS, off-the-shelf, small straight in-out 2" muffler. That's the other beauty behind the system. I can go to ANY MIDAS in the country and get them replaced, for free! As MIDAS' garantee states, "For as long as I own the car", and trust me, I have had, and will have these for a long time.
That sounds like a cool system ;)

Luckily, the P.O. replaced the rear muffler with an OEM part right before I bought it, and there have been less than 500 miles put on it since then. It's like new. Nice chrome tips and everything. He paid over $200 for it (ordered from a local parts store that got it shipped from Germany). Guess he didn't know that OGTS sells them for $99. Maybe when this one wears out I'll try the Midas lifetime guarantee and fabricate the dual tips. For me, "as long as you own the car" will probably be "as long as I'm still breathing" ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BQS4 said:
Scott;
I'll have to figure out how to take and make a ".wav" file with my laptop and post it for all to hear.
I was thinking the same thing. We could start a "Members Sounds" area on the site. ;)

Moderators might not appreciate the disk usage, though. ;)

Maybe I'll take my tape recorder out sometime and try it out. I can always store the file on my own site and link to it.

By the way, I was just down in my apartment's parking garage and set off my neighbor's car alarm just by starting up my GT. ;)

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Mines easy to dicribe! It sounds like: "......................................"!
Well, it aignt running yet, but it will sound like that!:p

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
opelgtman1973, i'd have to say mine sounds most like yours from the sounds of hte descriptions.
70 thousand miles, all stock origional exhaust i think, except for the front muffler is gone. so its stock header pipe, stock exhaust size into what appears to be a stock resignator, but it does look a little different than the one on my 70GT. its not loud, or quiet at an idle, you can always hear the exhaust when you drive, even if you get on it its still not that loud, just has a nice lower tone, but when you let off the gas in gear, its so awesome, it starts to rumble, its hard to explain, but its loudest when you let off the gas, and i just love the rumble wheny ou feel it in your feet, sounds mean as hell when you do that, i think its more intimidating that rappin it up on a free rev.....LOL

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I just finished the exhaust today. You can feel it thumping with power standing beside it, at about 800 rpm idle. Around 3500 It is calmer but has a kind of in your face feel and sound to it. I shut it down after that, I think they have laws about that sort of thing. It is louder than stock but it does have a sound of authority to it. It has a small glass pack and 4 feet of 2 inch pipe after the pipes combine. I think if I put a mirror into a carb thoat I could see what's behind the car.

·
Opelholic
36 Posts
I made that modification about 3 years ago. Drove into the muffler shop and had the guy make me a pipe to fit in place of the stock muffler. He kinda snickered at me when I had him do the job but when he put the car back on the ground and I fired it up he was picking his teeth up off the floor where he dropped em. Sounded like a BAAAD dog in the shop. Won't ever go back.:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts