Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Vendor
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came up in the Carlisle 2021 - Opel Nationals Discussion Thread when Roy mentioned that someone had confused his GT with a Corvair. Since I've owned both, I was trying to figure out how it was even possible to confuse these very different cars. patriotmsg mentioned that his dad had a GT and a late model Corvair, so I was wondering how common certain Opel-other car combinations are. If you have/had an Opel and another non-Opel collector car chime in and we can see if there are any trends. In the past, I've also owned an Opel GT and a Fiat 124 spider (1975)
Cheers,
Ron in FL

·
Registered
455 Posts
Funny you should ask; I own a GT and owned a 60 Corvair many years ago. It was red, but not shiny like yours. I acquired it by replacing the head gasket on a guy's 550-4 Honda MC. He just gave it to me. It was about 30 miles away in an apartment parking lot. He just said it had been "sitting for a while". Pretty broad term there. Took a battery, a can of gas, some carb cleaner, rags and a few tools.

Pulled the tops off the carbs, cleaned everything out. Filled the bowls with fuel, hooked up the battery. Started it up and drove it home. I ended up giving it to a family that had zero transportation, and they were glad to get it.

I agree, I don't know how anyone could confuse the two.

Currently, my Opel shares garage space with two other German cars, one British car, three U.S. models, one Korean car, and 1.5 Italian cars.

·
Opeler
1,199 Posts
Funny you should ask; I own a GT and owned a 60 Corvair many years ago. It was red, but not shiny like yours. I acquired it by replacing the head gasket on a guy's 550-4 Honda MC. He just gave it to me. It was about 30 miles away in an apartment parking lot. He just said it had been "sitting for a while". Pretty broad term there. Took a battery, a can of gas, some carb cleaner, rags and a few tools.

Pulled the tops off the carbs, cleaned everything out. Filled the bowls with fuel, hooked up the battery. Started it up and drove it home. I ended up giving it to a family that had zero transportation, and they were glad to get it.

Currently, my Opel shares garage space with two other German cars, one British car, three U.S. models, one Korean car, and 1.5 Italian cars.
Inquiring minds want to know...what are they?!

·
Vendor
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

Lynn, You are a man of eclectic tastes! Most of the Opel GT owners I know usually gravitate to other German cars when they buy outside the marque. Glad to hear that you saved the Corvair. The 1960 model (first production year) is unique in a lot of ways (some good, some not so good)

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,974 Posts
About 10-15 years ago on Ebay, when you did a search for "Opel GT", a whole bunch of Corvair stuff would come up. Apparently there is some sort of connection between the two.

They got a bad name via Ralph Nader for leaking exhaust fumes into the passenger compartment. I've talked with Corvair dudes at shows and it seems to have been a not too hard problem to fix.

·
Vendor
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About 10-15 years ago on Ebay, when you did a search for "Opel GT", a whole bunch of Corvair stuff would come up. Apparently there is some sort of connection between the two.

They got a bad name via Ralph Nader for leaking exhaust fumes into the passenger compartment. I've talked with Corvair dudes at shows and it seems to have been a not too hard problem to fix.
Opel Corsa/Corvair Corsa :geek:
Yeah, the early cars offered a gasoline fed car heater (what could go wrong?) Nader's biggest beef with the Corvairs was with the swing axel suspension and poor handling exacerbated by high speed driving. (He wasn't wrong, but most of the major issues were cleaned up by early 1962) Still, it was probably not very different than most contemporary cars, and probably safer than many (VW Beetle, anyone?)

·
Registered
729 Posts
The Triumph Spitfire was diabolical with its swing axles. Step on the brakes and, as one writer expressed it, the back end would jack up like a stinkbug, the rear wheels would tuck under with extreme camber, and if the front wheels were not perfectly straight ahead, the back end would pass you by.

I have a Spitfire, a 1964 Spitfire4, also known as a Mk I, the first of the series and similar to the '63 I had in college. I also have a Factory Five Type 65 Coupe, the replica of Shelby's Cobra Daytona Coupe that took its class at LeMans. I built the car in 2003 and I still have it. The Triumph is painted in its original "Conifer" that is also referred to as Triumph Racing Green; the FF is Ferrari's version of British Racing Green (#611) with the stripe in Ferrari Light Yellow (#102); the Opel is also done in FLY #102.

Attachments

·
Opeler
659 Posts
Back in the '70's, when my mom had the Kadett wagon, some people would mistake it for a VW. Well, they both are from Germany, LOL.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I mentioned several other cars, and Jesse wrote the following:

Inquiring minds want to know...what are they?!
I will be glad to share. I have 15 in all. Do you want it all at once or in installments. Every car has a story, you know.
Let me know. Be glad to do it either way, as I have been working on a synopsis of my cars. I meant to top out at 10, and will likely downsize to that number; well, maybe 10 classics and a daily driver.

·
Opeler
1,199 Posts
I mentioned several other cars, and Jesse wrote the following:

I will be glad to share. I have 15 in all. Do you want it all at once or in installments. Every car has a story, you know.
Let me know. Be glad to do it either way, as I have been working on a synopsis of my cars. I meant to top out at 10, and will likely downsize to that number; well, maybe 10 classics and a daily driver.
Well, now I’m REALLY intrigued. 15 is unreal! Looking forward to hearing about them & seeing them in whatever way you feel is best!

Eric

·
Registered
455 Posts
Eric, trust me, there are a lot of collectors out there with larger much more expensive collections than what I have. I will start with the one I have had the longest.

1969 Z/28 Camaro. One of the few (.6%) that actually came from the factory in black. Black was discontinued as a standard color in late 68 and reinstated sometime during the 69 model year. Also one of the approximate 10 percent that originally had the ducted hood option. Hard to find a flat hood 69 Z now, even though 90 percent came that way. 28k miles and some change. Still have original engine and trans, although the engine is in storage. Currently I am using a 1970 L46 engine built to LT-1 specs (pistons, camshaft) with my 69 Z/28 manifold and carb on it and my original . I drive it like I stole it. Like the old song says: "gets rubber in all four gears"). I traded a 1970 Opel Rallye for this car in 1976. Gas crisis. Car was pretty rough when I got it. I painted it in my garage in 2012 using 35 year old lacquer. Paint is pretty delicate. If I had it to do over, I would probably just prep it myself and then pay a pro to shoot it with a good urethane. My 83 Bimmer (also a black car) was painted with Dupont Chroma Premier in 2003. That paint is much more durable.

. I have the Centerline wheels on it right now with modern radials, because it drives much better that way. I do have the original Rallye wheels and a set of reproduction bias ply tires bagged up in the garage that I can put back on at any time. I did go ahead with some day 2 type mods. It has headers, but I still have the original exhaust manifolds and smog pump with all the piping and check valves, all in perfect condition. If I put the original motor back in, I will probably put all that stuff back on. I also installed traction bars cuz I got tired of not being able to hook up, even with the 255 tires out back. Also went ahead and put frame connectors on just so the body wouldn’t twist too much. Car has never been hit and has 99% of the original sheet metal. Threw in a pic of the Opel I traded for it in 1976. That's my little brother in the driver's seat. He still spends all his spare time at the boat club.
negcable.web.jpg
rtside.jpg
rtside.jpg
natural.grill.net.jpg
2.net.jpg
opel3.jpg
opel3.jpg

·
Vendor
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice! 1969 is my favorite year for Camaros, and black is pretty much my favorite color for any car. The paint looks great, as do the wheels. Glad to hear that you drive this car. Many that I've seen at shows only get driven on and off a trailer. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Thanks Ron. If I can't drive it, I don't want it. I saw a signature line once that said: "Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend [or wife] so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend."

BTW, I also painted that Rallye in my garage, in the spring of 1976. I had side swiped a sign post and had to replace the drivers door.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The is the car I have had the second longest.

1983 BMW 745i. Most folks in the U.S. don’t know what it is. Never sold in the U.S. A physician brought this one over when it was brand new in 1983. Factory turbocharged. It was the second fastest sedan in the world in 1984. I converted mine from auto trans to a five speed in 2001. Completely changed the character of the car. None of the original 745i cars were stick shift. Interior is all water buffalo hide. 37 years old and not one crack in the leather. I bought it out of a salvage yard in the mid 90s with most of the engine in the trunk, and lots of little Euro only turbo parts missing. But, the body was cherry. Had it up and running in less than 6 weeks. I moved a lot faster back then.
This car originally had a self leveling rear suspension, referred to as SLS. A previous owner removed it. When the SLS was removed, the PO installed M tech springs at all four corners. These springs are not common, and virtually impossible to find. I thought it sat just a bit too high, so I cut one coil off each spring. At the same time, I installed Bilstien HD struts at all four corners. Again, the car was transformed. The M springs are already stiffer than the standard U.S. model 7 series would have . Cutting a coil effectively raises the spring rate, so it is considerably stiffer than a stock 745i, and way stiffer than a U.S. model 733i or 735i. I have a friend down in Texas that has a set of larger than stock Dinan sway bars. He won’t sell them, but keeps saying he is going to manufacture some copies.

I started messing with adjustable boost controls and a performance chip in about 2003. At one time I was running 15 to 17 psi. Factory boost is 6 psi. Caused too many issues; head gaskets, cv joint breakage, guibo destruction, and even twisted a driveshaft about 10 degrees. Chassis just wasn’t made for the 500+ pounds of torque I was making. Have it at a more sane 11 psi since 2012 and it is much more reliable, although not quite as exciting. Still, for some unknown reason, rear tires wear out at an alarming rate.

This one was my daily driver for years. I still enjoy driving it. We take it to work from time to time. It keeps up with most modern cars (not the hyper performance cars by any means). I had to replace the air flow meter last month. The original had 320,000 miles on it, so not surprising that it finally quit. I sent it off to be rebuilt. While waiting on that part to come back, I ran across an NOS AFM for a measly $275 with free shipping. What a stroke of luck. When they were available from BMW, they were $900. I paid more than $275 to have the original one rebuilt. Just got it back the other day, so will keep it as a spare. One problem with Euro only cars is you have to have spares of all the Euro only parts. I have three ECUs for this car. After getting the new AFM on, I took it for a test drive. Had to make sure I had the “chipped” ecu in it. It is easy to tell the difference. On the stock ECU, when boost gets to about 8 psi, it cuts off the fuel. So, I take it out to the interstate, get on the on ramp and put my foot in it going through the gears. I look down and my boost gauge is at 11 psi, the fuel pressure is up and my AFR meter shows 12.5:1. All is good. Cruises at about 16:1. Look at the speedo, and I had just hit 120 going uphill and wasn’t even off the on ramp yet.
rfront.jpg
frontseats.web.jpg
rrear.jpg

·
Vendor
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow. Another black beauty.! :cool: I am not familiar with the 745i but am a fan of "pre-digital" BMWs. My current daily driver below.

·
Registered
455 Posts
That one has great lines. On of the best looking Bimmer convertibles every.
Funny Ron. You and I have both had GTs, a Corvair and Bimmers. I am sure I posted on this site before, but between my brother and I, we have bought at least 62 Bimmers over the years. My first was a Bavaria with leather. All three of my kids drover Bimmers when they were in hs. Not because I was wealthy, but I found deals on ones that were broken, and I knew how to fix them.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Car number 3.
1988 BMW 635CSi. OK, this is really just a parts car. One of my sons has a 6 series that he plans to restore (1980 European model 635CSi) so I kept this one around just for parts. It was a flawless, gorgeous black car I bought but ended up beat to crap.
Sitting in my warehouse right now, collecting dust.

·
Detritus Maximus
2,684 Posts
I should clarify, I really like the 6 series coupes, not the bit about ex-wives and drinking. neither of those are in my list of issues.
I like BMWs but the one that would make me have a 1st born so I can sell it, would be an 840/850 coupe. Absolutely stunning.

·
Registered
455 Posts
You are correct. I shouldn't have included that info. Will try to get pics of my son's 850i. Smoothest running V12 of all time. Heaven forbid you have to work on that engine though. I changed valve cover gaskets on it; it is like a nine hour job. Had to pull both intakes, as they cross over for a ram effect. While I was at it, I changed the plugs and a few other maintenance items. When I was done, and it was sitting there idling, just for fun, I put a nickel on the top of the engine, setting on it side, balanced. It just sat there without falling over.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts