Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Vendor
2,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
1963 Vanden Plas Princess...
Really interesting car, Lynn. I've never seen one before, or if I did, I would have assumed Rolls (minus the Spirit of Ecstasy Flying Lady) I never knew they still made cars with divided windscreens in 1963. I used to live up the street from the oldest Rolls/Bentley dealership in the Midwest, and saw quite a few classic cars from those marques. In many ways, this car "out-Brits" them! :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
@LynnB and @rrossjr Thank you! I am currently working on getting my pilot's license. I just passed my FAA private pilot knowledge test last Monday. I soloed an airplane on my 16th birthday as a student pilot (it was my dream to fly before I got my driver's license) over 3 years ago and haven't logged any time since, unfortunately. School + other things got in the way and I never found an opportunity to get back into it until now. (Yet I somehow found time to buy and build an Opel :unsure:)
My family has 4 airworthy airplanes at the moment: a 1952 Cessna 195, a 1945 Luscombe 8A, a 1947 Luscombe 8D, and a homebuilt Vans RV-8 that my dad and grandfather built in their garage.
We also have a Luscombe 8F, a Luscombe 8E (to become a radial-powered, clipwing experimental) and a 1938 Luscombe 8. My dad is the president of a now international Luscombe type club if that explains anything haha.

My dad's first airplane was this 8A, nicknamed the Bad Habit. It was an award-winning show airplane, and we still have all the trophies. He had to sell it before I was born, but ended up buying it back just last year from the same person he had bought it from originally!

Our Cessna 195 has been in the family for over 20 years. When my brothers and I were little and we could all fit in the back seat together, we used it as our motorhome to go camping all over California.

My dad and grandfather built the RV-8 in their garage in 2000/01 right next to the '56 Thunderbird they had fully restored decades earlier (We all miss that car).

The 8D (only one known to still exist of the dozen or so originally built) is our latest flying Luscombe. It was beautifully restored by some friends of ours in Missouri. It still has most of the original 70+ year old aluminum sheet metal, and you can see the original factory tooling marks from when they formed the bends and curves by hand in the factory. It's not a perfect airplane, but it's perfect in that it is 100% authentic in every way. The only thing the airplane is missing is the rare fuel-injection that only D's (and some C's I believe) had, which we could not get to work, so we went with the tried and true carburetor, but kept the original front nosebowl + grill. This airplane still has its original numbers-matching C-75 engine. The second picture is what the airplane looked like when we trucked it out to Missouri at the end of January 2019.

Airplane projects:
Here's the 8F. This is a fairly old picture. It now has its new modded C-90 engine on it and is almost ready for paint. It's our closest project to flying.

Here's our 8E tucked away in the corner of the hangar, which will become a clipped wing, radial engine powered hot rod. Another old picture. That's the 8F in the foreground before the wings were put on.

And finally, here's the uber-rare Luscombe 8, serial number 805 - the 5th production Model 8 built. Unlike most Luscombes with a puny 65 horsepower, this one has a whopping 50! The first picture is from when we bought it, and the other two pictures are the latest I have seen from our friends in Missouri, who are restoring this one as well alongside serial no. 801!

41 - 45 of 45 Posts