Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I finally got back down to Austin and snapped some pics of the GT.
I've been trying to figure out the year model and I *think* it's either a '69 because it has the "GM" logo, the indicator lights above the steering wheel, no liscense plate indention, carpet under the e-brake handle. But i totally forgot the get the VIN# so I won't know for sure what year it is until i get back to it.
Funny thing though, the car has a 1900 badge on it, but it's obviously a 1.1L. So the car isn't in it's original configuration.
here is a link to the pics (they are HUGE pics so beware)

http://www.sm0ke.com/opel/opel.html

·
1,175 Posts
It was taking too long for these images to download with my phone line connection. Are these jpegs or could they be converted to some format which would load quicker? Just wondering.

BDD

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
travis:

are you sure that's a 1.9? with a stamped steel valve cover?

the car is definitely a 69 or 70...probably a 69 though, i suspect.

sure is a shame to see a car in this condition. didn't look like there is much left to save. were the floors any good, or had they rotted through?

so sad, so sad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mjewell said:
sure is a shame to see a car in this condition. didn't look like there is much left to save. were the floors any good, or had they rotted through?

so sad, so sad.
not too sure of the floors condition. As you can see, it's kinda hard to get around the car, and the drivers door wouldn't open, plus I didn't have a lot of time to dig around it too much.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
According to my service manual, that's a 1.9L. My 2c's on the car is it's repairable. I see some light mig welding, a paint strip and dash replacement (or repair/cover). Hell, if I had the cash and a way to pull it, I'd buy it! I hate to see it cut up for pieces or scrapped. :(
PS: The Vett is pretty nice also.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
yours, yes, mine, no

mjewell said:
old opel guy:

are you saying that it is a 1.9??
Your picture of the GT obviously shows the front of a 1.9 valve cover. Usually the GT's had the cast aluminum valve covers on them for hood clearance, but the rest of the Opel line (Manta, Kadett, Rekord, Ascona, Olympia, etc..) used that type of stamped steel valve cover. If you look really close you can see the extra 2 head bolts signifing that the motor is one of the later ones, probably out of a Manta.

I posted a picture of my Kadett's 1.1 motor for comparo purposes. Notice how on the 1.1's the intake goes into the top of the head while the exhaust comes out the side? On the 1.9's the intake runners enter the side of the head between the exhaust ports.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
looking at it again, seems to be a 1.9L.
based on the thermostat housing. i guess possibly out of something else other than a GT. Look at the hose clamps, those can't be stock.
Also the spark plugs go the to drivers side, instead of the passanger side shown in that 1.1L pic above.

·
149 Posts
Gearshift

The rear GM and 1900 emblem were only on the 69 and 70 models. The rectangular indicator lights, the button on the turn signal stalk, and the rounded headlight lever would all indicate it's a 69 unless they were changed out.

The engine is definately a late 1.9L with the 12 bolt head. Probably from a Manta, Ascona, or a Sportwagon with a stamped steel valve cover.

Also note there is a reverse lockout-ring on the gearshift. None of the 1.1's had the lock-out that I am aware of, only the 1.9's.

The valve cover is off a 1975 1.9 Litre motor specifically. It has no breather hole on the back of the hump (not real visible, but judging from the amout of oil else where, if it were an open port there should be alot of oil on the cover), and the bracket for the fuel injection cable throttle can be seen toward the rear of the valve cover. That said, I can't see a stove pipe on the exhaust manifold, so it may very well have a sprint manifold on it.

Darrin

·
rust + magic = gold!
169 Posts
Is that an electric fuel pump near the drivers footbox - where the washer fluid bottle is usually located?

·
Super Moderator
9,742 Posts
yes, that was my assumption too, the motor looks to be a converted F.I. motor installed in the GT

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
do, this can mean the car has been converted to fuel injection?

would be weird because of the Solex carb.

this car confuses me. :tear:

·
rust + magic = gold!
169 Posts
That electric fuel pump might be a substitute for a dead mechanical pump. Follow the fuel line, from the filter side, and see where it goes. Hard for me to tell from the photos.

The solex carb can always be upgraded to a weber, if you have trouble keeping it tuned, or want better performance, or if it leaks fuel onto your exhaust manifold!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
plan is for a street ported 12a rotary from a 1st gen RX-7.
keeps the car light and simple and doesn't destroy the "spirit".

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i think what Gene was trying to say is this:

if its a manta motor (the valve cover says it probably is), then it coulda been a 75' fuel injected motor, and it would not have the spot for a mechanical fuel pump, or if it does it would be blocked off. so instead of buying or going through the trouble to convert back to mechanical fuel pump, they just rigged up an electrical one. the GT does not have wiring for fuel injection, so they put the origional carb and manifolds back on the car, because it was the easiest way to put it all back together. easy to stay electronic fuel pump, and easier to stay with a carb, if you could fallow my theoretical story.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts