Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Opeler
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
dropped the steering wheel and took out the dash to replace some bulbs. in the process i found one or 2 broken wires that i spliced back together. put the dash back in, hooked up the plugs from the dash and the wheel and reattached the battery only to found that the amp light blinks like a flasher and nothing happens when i turn the ignition key. what have i done now????

bob

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
UH spliced the wrong wires together? Go back in and undo what you did but my guess is unless you have replaced ALL of the wiring behind the dash, you might want to do so. Also check to make sure that a wire hasn't slipped off of a connector and is shorting out. :cool:

·
Registered
521 Posts
MAke sure you didn't miss the ground wire that attaches to one of the 4 bolts that hold the steering collum up. I believe it's the right side (pax side) nearest the gas pedal. I don't think ignition will work w/o this wire grounded. It's commonly missed after the steering collum has been dropped.

·
Opeler
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sure enough, the ground wire had slipped off so now the car turns over but... the ammeter and oil lights are still flashing with the key out of the ignition. it has to be a short somewhere but why are they blinking instead of steady on?

·
Registered
616 Posts
i had my gas guage blinking from full to empty instead of my turn signals before... turned out to be bad grounds, just like everything else on the car

·
131 Posts
Fuse Block Schematic

Turbo X just posted a nice/simple schematic of the fuse block. Check his gallery. This may be helpful, as I have to do the same type of rewiring myself.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I hate to be one note nagger BUT- I had continuous problems behind my dash for over a year and a half. Think I hold the world speed record for dropping the steering wheel and pulling the dash panel (18 minutes) I got so frustrated that I finally pulled the panel out- took over a bunch of counter space in the kitchen ( wife loved that) and over the space of 3 weeks last summer, did a complete rewire of everything behind the instrument panel. I replaced all the wiring, replaced all the spade terminals, crimped everything nice and tight. cleaned up the wiring with sleeving and re-installed. I have not had problem one with the wiring since. JMTCW :cool:

·
Opeler
101 Posts
well your going to have to ask the question... what make a light flash?
you have 2 possibility, your turn signals or your 4 way flashers (make sure its not on) , there independent of each other but yet use the same flasher to control the same lights. now you said you had 1 or 2 broken wires? could you tell me what color they were?

amp light wire is , Lt blue/white and the rt turn signal wire is black/white

oil light wire is , Lt blue/ green . so make sure you spliced the right wires together.. also the brown wires go to ground.
when I had problem with my wiring system ,, I toke WD40 and sprayed down my fuse box and pulled all the plugs and sprayed them as well, amazing how they just sliped together, then moved evey spade in and out.. every problem went away..
the plugs can cause you a lot of problems if the spade don't make connection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts