Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
149 Posts
The basic pic was taken from an old AMT model box. I fixed it up to look like the model I built in 1972 (and my brother blew up on July 4th after I was married). I had a few models that were similar (Chevelle, GTO, Vette). I loved the GT the most and it had extensive custom work and handmade parts. Injection stacks are a thing of beauty but hell on the street. I look for the model kit on eBay, but it sells for about $100.

Hopefully, some day my real GT will look the same. I have $$$thousands in parts and still haven't started the transformation. Even have a frame builder lined up. Once you start there's no going back. I've done several engine swaps, but never anything this extensive.

· Registered
149 Posts
I have the re-released AMT model and a 1/18 scale die cast. The AMT isn't exactly the model I had. And owning the original puts a bigger chip on your shoulder.

I also have original release Roth cars (Outlaw and Bandit), NIB, never opened, signed by Ed. I think he was amazed that stuff was still around. The guy ahead of me (at the car show) had him do artwork (Rat Fink) on a toilet seat. Cost him a bundle but I wish I did it too.

The Ogre is how my wife sees me when I look at car stuff.

· Registered
149 Posts
I'll let you know. A friend of mine gave it to me last Christmas. It's pretty nice, very detailed, with opening doors and steering that works. I hide it from my 6 year old boy. He'd have it crashing. He begs me to see it. But I've seen his other toys.

Wife considers it my dark side and less significant than my other qualities she considers good. My father-in-law only likes golf. We don't talk much. My first father-in-law was a car guy. We did engine swaps and other car stuff together. I miss him. I wish he had a better daughter.

Daytona Coupe on a Mustang donor. That sounds like a lot of work. Starting with clay and working toward a fiberglass body?

· Registered
149 Posts
This is the Minichamp car below. The paint looks less metallic than in the pics. If you do a Google search, you can find model/hobby shops that still have a few in stock.

http://www.iol.ie/~donohoer/0Opel_GT.htm

oppositelock: Salvage front end, welding, frame straightener... Charlie could be on the road. But considering the price of cars in better condition, Charlie is a good parts car. I like driving Mantas better than GTs, esp. as a daily driver. And you can carry more stuff than a suitcase and your dog. Sounds like the Model A is a lot of fun. Title allows him to build a kit car and not meet all the new legal stuff, no emissions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.