Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

You might have surmised that the reason this question is posted is because my clutch cable snapped yesterday. Right on a busy PCH and right in the middle of a biblical down pour.

I remember when I first joined OMC of hearing people carrying spare clutch cables as part of their roadside emergency kits. I was proud of the fact that I never carried a clutch cable or for that matter a roadside emergency kit. My car never broke down on me. In the 5 years prior to joining the club, I've always gotten home. And had always been able to repair whatever came up. Just lucky I guess.

But my incident yesterday got me thinking that maybe some of the Opel folks were onto something. Maybe carrying a spare clutch cable isn't such a bad idea. Now that I'm older and wiser, it might make sense for me to do the same.

So how long DOES a clutch cable last?

Thanks,

Manny

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Manny;
Along with the clutch cable, carry a few spare "C" clips too. If you can't find the proper c-clips, carry a short piece of hose and a couple of hose clamps.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
the cable life depends on where you drive
in town its a shorter life that if you drive on long country roads and freeways because you use it more

its the cycle rate not the time
just like that hawian boeing 727 that popped its lid it did lots of takeoffs and landings then broke

and as said in the other posts it will last till you get 4 miles from anywhere and have took the spare out just before you left home

·
1,219 Posts
The last clutch cable I lost gave me lots of notice. I started feeling a rough clutch pedal, (a popping feeling), like it was binding or sticking. I also needed to adjust the free play to get the pedal height correct. It's really not that big a deal when the cable breaks. The GT is pretty easy to drive without a clutch. The biggest problem is that you have to put the car in neutral and shut it off everytime you come to a red light.

·
Super Moderator
5,924 Posts
BQS4 said:
Manny;
Along with the clutch cable, carry a few spare "C" clips too. If you can't find the proper c-clips, carry a short piece of hose and a couple of hose clamps.
Manny, are you sure your cable has "snapped", and it isn't just a broken C-clip? Much more common problem, and easily rectified.

·
131 Posts
Cable problem inherent to specific years maybe?

I had a 73 GT back in the 70's and 80's and went through 3 cables in 50,000 miles. They always broke in the middle of nowhere and thank goodness my Dad bought two so I had a spare the next time it happened.

Is the problem more inherent in certain years of the GT? I am buying a 70 GT and am driving it home from NC to Chicago and was thinking I should carry one with me for the ride and afterward.

There is one on ebay, came off a 70 Kadett Wagon. Ad says GT too, but anyone here gonna corraborate this claim? OGTS doesn't list a Clutch Cable for a 70 GT so I am getting scared these are hard to come by.

Thanks, Mark

·
131 Posts
Found the OGTS part #...

Senior Moment.

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
My clutch cable is original.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts