Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this talk lately about rare Opels such as the legendary '73 Blue Max, and '69 1.1L GT, I'd like to hear what you think is the rarest or most sought after Opel model here in the states. My vote would have to be a '71 4-dr Ascona. I only know of a few of these in existence here, and I used to have one so I know how rare they are. There probably aren't many Kadettes left of any model by now, but I think if we do the research we will see that the US didn't get many 4 dr Asconas to start with.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Rare Opel

My sister had a 4dr Ascona. Bought it in Lithia Springs, GA. Sold it to someone in the Doraville/Norcross, GA area. There is one for sale in NH.
Gene

·
Opel Tinkerer and Rescuer
7,517 Posts
Actually a number of 4 door asconas show up. The 2 door sedans seem to be rarer than the 4 door, of course the Station Wagon is the most common. At OMCs picnic a number have shown up, and they crop up on Ebay time to time.

The rarest of the Kadetts is the 70-71 Four Door, only a few hundred were sold.

What I would like is even less documented than the 73' Blue Max, or 1968 GT and that's a 1970 Opel Manta. It's so rare few know of its existance. Over the years we know these things about them. It's the only Manta to have the High Compression motor stock, the oil light in the guage is orange and not red. Those are the only documented differences on a 1970 Manta. A 70 Manta, would have been built between June and Sept 1970.

Of course the rarest and most sought after Opel is an actual 1968 Opel GT.

Other rare Opels are the 57-60 P1/P2 Rekords in general. Few are left, what isn't known is that a convertible existed and was sold in low numbers. So I would say for some it would be a real find.

Personally if I had a nice big garage (ala Gary)... this is what I would want..

1990s' Calibra
1985 Bitter SC Convertible
1975 Manta
1974 Manta Rallye
1973 Manta - Blue Max
1971 Four Door Kadett
1970 Manta
1968 GT
1958 Rekord Convertible

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did a 1970 Manta A ever sell in the US? Of course here it was originally called a 1900 sport coupe. I think the Manta name was added in late 1972 for this country.

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
68 opel gt is the most rare..

Is there even a 68? I've heard of it, never seen one or even seen pictures of one. If you go through a old napa parts book it will list them 69-73. its hard to tell, but i believe in the 68 :D ...... if you guys have a picture of a 68 let me know....

·
7,517 Posts
Yes Virginia the 70' Manta and 68 GT exist.

It comes out of two reasons..

1) Opel starts the year before the US on models (Thus 73' Mantas with 74 bumpers - Which I have one)

2) Opel and GM have a tendancy to "work the bugs out" of the production cars during the first run or two..

Combine the two and you have early model Mantas and GT with odd features, usually they were the display models sent the dealers. Nothing uncommon about them then and no one thought of it.

Now though they are rare as it gets and hard to document. Opel was no Chevy or Olds when it came to documentation. Thier documentation totally sucks ass.

Charles

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
70 1900 (Manta?)

I think we have an actual 70 1900 in our midst. Edwin, the guy at Carlisle I rode up with, has one. He bought it from a dealer in Turkey, while he was in the service. He was headed back state-side and ordered it, sight unseen, and had it delivered to the states. He and I have been arguing about a few details of his car and what I have seen over the years. I know that all the Mantas (whether they are a 1900 or Manta) that the exhaust exits the motor on the passenger side, crosses under the car and exits out the driver's side between the spare tire and tank. Edwin says his doesn't, his goes straight back out the passenger side. This may be an indicator, like the 68 GT having the 2 piece front bumper. Edwin still has his 1900 (Manta) in a barn, here in GA. It's been "moth-balled" for a few years. I've been trying to arrange a time to go see it and get some pics to post.
Gene

·
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a piece of history there. Consider that Opel has built over 1 million Mantas til they changed over to the Calibra in 1990. He may have on of the few thousand Mantas that started it all. Would love to see pics and maybe someday we can compile a complete list of the subtle differences of each year like was done with the GT.

·
7,517 Posts
That would be awesome.. !!

Love to see all the differences, and possibly buy it from him as well ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
1900 (Manta)

Charles;
The way Edwin talks about that car, I SERIOUSLY doubt you'd have a chance at buying it. :) :)

Calvin;
The only 6 cylinder Manta A's I know of were the TE-2800. Charles knows more about these. I don't know if they were made for Holland, but, I do know there were very few made. :)

·
7,517 Posts
The RAREEST of Rare Mantas that are highly desirable in Europe (and thus I suppose in the US).

Would be one of the 19 Broadspeed Turbo Mantas (ALL Right Hand Drive though)

The TransEurope TE2800 is also highly desired and very very rare, both cars are the equivlent to a Shelby Mustang, or Yenko Camaro. They were not built by Opel, but Opel worked with these companies and shipped them Opel bodies to build off of.

I didn't consider them because they are not Opel built. BUt taking them into account. A TE2800 is my most wanted Opel period, the Broadspeed somewhat. But I wouldn't like it as much because of it being Right Hand drive.

·
Senior Contributor
499 Posts
I know that a couple of my friends from the old Manta club in Fulda that were from Hofbieber (sp) which is now the Rhon club (dots over the O in Rhon) copied them exactly and put the straight 6's in their manta's and doing brake work and passed TUV. To pass TUv the car had to be produced to Russelheim factory standards.

There are more of them than you think but I am sure a lot of them are copies. The 24 valve Lotus/omega/ Carlton head would plop right down on one of those streched 1.9 as all they were was the 1.9 with 2 more cyls

Irshmer did some Opels too.....I just remember in 78 they were double the price of any other tuning shop

·
Opel Addict Since 73
358 Posts
Subtle Differences

Speaking of subtle differences in model years...Bill Hoffman pointed out something at Carlisle that I wasn't aware of. On the California cars that were fitted with catalytic converters...the passenger side sheet metal in the floor and the passenger seat frame were modified to accomodate the bulge for the CC. Bill pointed this out on my wagon. Interesting bit of useless trivia. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Like Bitters . . .

GoinManta said:
The RAREST of Rare Mantas that are highly desirable in Europe (and thus, I suppose, in the US).

Would be one of the 19 Broadspeed Turbo Mantas (ALL Right Hand Drive though)

The TransEurope TE2800 is also highly desired and very very rare, both cars are the equivalent to a Shelby Mustang, or Yenko Camaro. They were not built by Opel, but Opel worked with these companies and shipped them Opel bodies to build off of.

I didn't consider them because they are not Opel built. BUt taking them into account. A TE2800 is my most wanted Opel period, the Broadspeed somewhat. But I wouldn't like it as much because of it being Right Hand drive.
Kind of like Bitters then . . . at least as far as the chassis and running gear are concerned.

·
7,517 Posts
Well true.. I guess the difference is Bitter was a registered as a car manufacturer that had dealers. The TE2800 and Broadspeed were sold through Opel Dealers, like the Yenkos and Shelbys.. and used the complete body, interior, etc..

The Car itself was to the Opel Monza more like a Pontiac GTO to a Holden Manaro. Where parts of the interior are used, but new sheetmetal and other things were done to the car so it was distinictively a whole other car and not a modification of a model.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Rare Holden Modified GT

Here is what Holden of Australia did with one of the three GTs shipped to them for evaluation. We nearly got Super GTs here.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts