Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 60 of 94 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
kwilford said:
I believe that was addressed by RallyBob during an earlier discussion on exhaust tuning. The length of the pipes before they reconnect has a substantive effect on exhaust gas "scavenging", whereby the pulse from one cylinder actually "pulls" gases from another. And the length is somewhat inversely proportional to the rpm at which optimum scavenging occurs. Bob's recommendation was to lengthen the pipes before they merge by 10 inches from stock, in order to get optimum scavenging (and hence usable torque) at normal street engine rpm. But, if I recall correctly, his advice was to NOT contemplate running a dual exhaust system back from the manifold.

Any other comments?
CORRECTAMUNDO!

Without going the "primary pipe lengthening" route, the best place to cut is B or C depending on the exhaust pipe diameter used, B for 2.25" pipe or C for 2" pipe. As far as "flex-pipes" are concerned, I like JCW's offerings in various IDs and lengths. :D

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
scavaging gases

this is neat..pulsing and scavaging of gases...

could it be applied to the gt by painting each of the y tubes and see where it burns the paint?..maybe not a factor at our hp levels..

ALSO:I dont know what flex pipe is?is this something an exhaust shop will stock? I assume its just bendable pipe?

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Re: flexpipes

bucky said:
this is neat..pulsing and scavaging of gases...

could it be applied to the gt by painting each of the y tubes and see where it burns the paint?..maybe not a factor at our hp levels..

ALSO:I dont know what flex pipe is?is this something an exhaust shop will stock? I assume its just bendable pipe?
Flexpipe on left is from a junkyard Honda, flexpipe on right is new from JCW. Left is ~1.75" ID, right is 2.25" ID and, of course, I welded on the ends.
:D

·
240 Posts

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
length of flex of 2 in flexpipe

1-I assume it it best to use flexpipe to join the y pipe to the new 2 in exhaust that I am planning ..is that correct?

2-what length of flexpipe is best? here is an ebay price

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Re: length of flex of 2 in flexpipe

bucky said:
1-I assume it it best to use flexpipe to join the y pipe to the new 2 in exhaust that I am planning ..is that correct?

2-what length of flexpipe is best? here is an ebay price
1 Yes.

2 As used here, the primary benefit is reduction of torque stress transmitted between the engine and the exhaust system and is not really used for "tuning" purposes, so length is more of a personal preference and fitment issue . . . I'd probably go with the 6" one as a nice compromise.
:)

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
4 x 8 wont fit

fyi:my pretty ebay bargain ..stainless steel wont fit. i tried to copy waynes purple gt picture in this thread.

Carx says it will cost $260 to put on a new muffler,2 1/4 over axle,split into a y.( i am providing dual chrome tips)..they are putting on an emco? in the muffler position..i think it is a straight thru design.

advise...it will be done by tomorow am..if not too late already.

i went there because it was close to work and i could easily get rides to and from...

PS: anyone need a good SS 2in and out muffler?

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
photo

four by eight wont fit

Attachments

·
Opeler
48 Posts
Sorry I missed this whole thread. Just had new exhaust put on the 73 down here in Paola with resonator and all. I would have had you come out and listen too get an idea of what you may expect from a similar setup. Looks stock, acts great, sounds healthy, but not like a "muscle car" or teenagers ride.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
ksgt

can you describe your system..who was your vendor? I might call them and see what they have...

do you have a straight thru muffler?..AND a resonator?

What did it cost and what did you get?

Did you exit at the tail with one pipe?

thanks

·
Opeler
48 Posts
It looks stock with dual tips ect.. They put it together for us, didn't seem to be any problem. My mom borrowed my digital camera so I can't take any pics right now. Not sure the brand, but I will be doing more body work tomorrow and can look under there if you still need.

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
post up some pics

I havent seen anyone find a substitute for the stock resonator...

if you dont have time..when i come out your way..i will bring my camera.

you may have discovered something ....the roseta stone of sorts

·
Opel Junkie
113 Posts
hey bucky and ksgt:

how about we all get together at ksgt's place on sunday to check his exhaust out?? i need to get one on mine, and am VERY interested in keeping it as stock (or stock looking) as possible.

let me know.

mike

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
Re: Muffler ahead of rear axle . . .

tekenaar said:
[template. For muffler (ahead of rear axle), I like the $20 JCW 13"x3.25"x7.75" turbo mufflers in either 2" or 2.25" in/out pipe size. VERY free-flow and nice throaty sound, which can be accented or diminished by your choice of "after rear axle" pipe/resonator fabrication.
:D [/B]
i called JCW..they cant find a turbo in this dimension..Hey Tek..do you have a part or manufactures # to cross ref..the space is very tight in front of the axle..very few mufflers will fit.

thanks

PS: would these cherry bombs fit?

Attachments

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
crossreference help please

i need a part # and a manufacter for a muffler that will fit properly
in the stock pre axle location.the bracket for the cable limits width
and also it needs to be short ...

my car has been at carx all day and the mechanic has tried three with no luck.

Can someone post a muffler # so my shop can cross reference?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Re: Re: Muffler ahead of rear axle . . .

bucky said:
i called JCW..they cant find a turbo in this dimension..Hey Tek..do you have a part or manufactures # to cross ref..the space is very tight in front of the axle..very few mufflers will fit.

thanks

PS: would these cherry bombs fit?
Then how about these:

·
Opeler
48 Posts
That's almost exactly what is on both of mine. They measure a little smaller but that may be because they measure the outside seam or something. 3" tall 11 long 7.5-8 wide. fits in location with original hanger.

·
Registered
456 Posts
ok. I recently had a Magna Flo muffler installed....with 2inch pipe.......the muffler number on my receipt shows #12237. Pipe muffler and two tips cost me $160 including tax and shop fee.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The $160 included pipe back from the juncture of the two downpipes near the engine......to the muffler.......and pipe back over the axle and a stock look out the back with two chrome tips. only one of the rear pipes actually functions....but i painted inside them both with flat black spray paint and they both LOOK functional.

41 - 60 of 94 Posts