Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
What is the worst surprise from a previous owner you have found
Have you ever found something about your car and you just have to wonder what series of events had to occur for the PO to do something that you now feel compelled to fix:banghead:. I have known about this issue for a little while but did not know the full extent until this past weekend when I removed the rear end for better access to use a wire wheel too clean everything up.

The first one is the passenger side where the upper spring hat is
The second one is the passenger side where the panhard bar connects to the body of the car
and the third is the drivers side rear wheel well all I did is clean off the under coating in all 3 sites to see how bad it was now I have started repairs

Attachments

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,246 Posts
My yellow GT below had an entire front end from the firewall forward replaced by the PO who was a head mechanic at a GM dealership. He used all new from GM body panels. He did excellent work.

Except he brazed/welded the headlight openings too small when putting it all together. The headlight covers would hit the openings no matter how much you fiddled with them. Luckily, he had done a mod that bypassed the micro switches, so the headlights came on when you flicked the parking lights on.

The Red Baron has the same issue for the same reason. Hence, I haven't flipped GT headlights in DECADES. I did the switch mod on that car, too.

·
Opeler
120 Posts
On my first GT the PO had done some work on the steering wheel, and forgot to install the nut that held the wheel on, having the steering wheel come off in the middle corner is exciting, luckily I was able to push the wheel back on and not crash. My second GT had the pins that hold the front brake pads missing, the pads where actually rubbing on the inside of the front wheels.

·
Opeler
1,742 Posts
Take your pic.

The Virginia car with no pilot bearing, or the Missouri car with no cam button.

The V car had trans problems, the M car had a shot timing chain.

KOINKYDINK?

I dun think so.

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,211 Posts
Oh boy, cylinder head bolt in the oil drain hole was probably the worst thing. Why you would put a bolt, into a hole that's not threaded, and doesn't line up with the other holes, and is hard to get to, is beyond me.Too many other things to even bother mentioning.

·
Registered
708 Posts
not an opel but i bought a car audi in an auction thinking i could make some money
it needed a roadworthy test and failed on the back breaks that wernt adjusted up at all
adjusted the breaks and the car passed the roadworthy test
a couple of days later and 100 miles from home the back axle started ripping off from the body where it was held on by rust and lots of underseal
sold it to a nearby car scrapyard and took the coach home

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I can't tell how many Opel's over the years that had Bondo work from a 2 year old. The last one was over 1 1/2 in thick in spots:ugh::ugh: ya and they like the under coating to hide the rust:yup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
if the car need tree blots it had the crank handle was jb welded on to the widow regulator all of the wiring needs replaced and the seats were welded in up right position and bolt all the way through the floor pan

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,537 Posts
The worst previous owners crapped all over the place. Chewed wires. Made beds and peed them. And left their dead inside the vents by the wiper motors.

·
UngerDog
1,288 Posts
Don't park it in an orchard!

I saw an ad on Craigslist for a $500 GT. I'm not too excited when I go to see it. The car was all there, but it had been parked in a orchard for 18 years. I tell him that rats had been living in it, it stunk inside, and I didn't want another parts car. He says to give him $150 or it goes to the wrecker. So...ya, I jump on that. Went back with some tools and gas and got it started. Just to be safe, I had it towed to my house. When I took the drivers seat out,
a rat jumped out of the car:shocked:

She was ratty

Ratty7.jpg

Ratty8.jpg lower right corner is what I'm talking about...a non jumper

Now she's just called Ratty

Ratty3.jpg

·
Registered
114 Posts
Not the GT but a 50 Willys pickup. New inspection when I bought, and told it had all new brakes. Took forever to stop. Like running in water all the time. Took off the drums to check ( which meant pulling them off the axle). The drums had a deep groove around the back which fit over a lip on the backer plate. All the grooves were packed with hard grease! New lining but covered with melted grease! Only think I could think of was that He thought packing them would keep out the water and dirt.

·
Opeler
43 Posts
Previous Owner Confession

I must confess after 25 years....When I was forced to sell my first GT after college graduation. I had to sell her and get a "grown up" car for my new job. I sold her to a 19 year old freshman girl at the local college. And on the day within minutes of her coming to pick it up with her father along for the ride to give final approval, as I warmed up the engine, the throttle spring broke. No spares no nothing..... So I took the big long spring off the back porch door and wrapped it around the weber a few times to take up the slack, and it felt great; nice and tight.

I waved bye-bye as the drove out of sight, handed the cash to my mother and told her that "she didn't see nuthin' ", and I left town (never to return) the next morning before sunup.

So if any of you guys out there picked up on a 1972 GT with a two foot screen door spring in the engine compartment, let me know!!!!

·
Opeler
18 Posts
Not long after buying my 73 GT I took it for a long winding mountain highway trip.
When I made it back home to the city, during a short trip in stop and go traffic, the rubber coupling from the steering wheel shaft to the steering rack had sheared off, leaving me with no steering. The policeman in the car behind me was wondering why I was not moving and when he came over, I twirled the steering wheel for him, and he kindly offered to call a tow truck, rather than write me up for driving an unsafe car!

I recall when replacing the rubber coupling, it seemed to have been cut, rather than failing due to age/fatigue.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts