Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Member "Ricardo" has asked me what this item he found under his seat is. Any guesses?

Brown Amber Wood Automotive lighting Orange

Amber Rectangle Wood Orange Brick

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
It’s shape reminds me of a rod style plug in heater.

·
UngerDog
1,323 Posts
It's a water detector warning sensor. If your GT crashed into a body of water and began to sink enough so that water got to seat level, the sensor would let you know by switching on a warning light. Regulations for newer models required Opel to add a buzzer.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It's a water detector warning sensor. If your GT crashed into a body of water and began to sink enough so that water got to seat level, the sensor would let you know by switching on a warning light. Regulations for newer models required Opel to add a buzzer.
I have no doubt the government would require a water level buzzer, but I can guarantee that I would realize that my car was flooding with water before some buzzer went off.

·
Your Noble Friend ;-)
4,482 Posts
My (smarter than me) buddies in Germany say this was a weight detector (for the seat belt buzzer) that only came in the US version of the Opel GT passenger seat.

If you measure resistance between the contacts, it should be infinite (open switch) and should go down to nearly zero (closed switch) if you press it together hard enough (if it even still works).

Dieter

Reactions: First opel 1981

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
And by seatbelt sensor you mean the one that would detect if somebody was sitting in the seat?
exactly what I was thinking
I think Dieter explained it much better
My buzzer has been deleted

·
Registered
27 Posts
Is it for the early ‘73 seat belt “interlock” required in the US? Couldn’t start until the seat belts were installed- this law was quickly eliminated so not many cars had this and it could be disconnected by the dealer if the owner asked.

·
Opeler
1,532 Posts
It is indeed the passenger seat occupant sensor and is installed inside of the lower passenger seat cushion.
I unplugged it when my '73 GT was new, because every day when I sat my big briefcase down on the passenger seat to go to work, it would set off the seat belt buzzer. I had to buckle up that stupid case just to drive to work in peace! :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts