Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about 5'11 and my headliner is saging on my head. i can push it up by the rods inside. how can i fix this until i get my new headliner? it is only 2 rods that dont hold. thanks for any input.

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
The headliner rods are bow shaped and by tension and a bit of foam attached to the roof are held in place. If they have rotated around it will sag and you can push it back up but it won't stay up. You'll need to get the rods to swing back around untill they have tension and back in contact with the foam, or it is possible that the pockets that hold the rods to the headliner have given up and only a new headliner will fix it.

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
head liner

There are also small cupped shaped retainers that hold the headliner rods into the metal frame along the roof. They pop into the holes where the rods go in and I think they hold the rods in place so they don't rotate also. They could have pushed out of place and now the rod won't keep from moving.

·
Registered
214 Posts
nobody said:
or it is possible that the pockets that hold the rods to the headliner have given up and only a new headliner will fix it.
My cloth that held the rod was tearing. This caused the front two rods to lose tension, and disconnect.

I unslid the door molding, pulled back some of the headliner, and mended the tear with nylon thread and a needle. I pushed the needle/thread through the white canvas nearest it's connection to the vinyl. Then I looped-over the rod, keeping about the same size inside diameter as the original canvas. I did this looping to the start of the tear location. Finally, I slid the rods back into the roof pockets, and reattached the door molding/headliner.

The whole operation took about 10 minutes, and you would never know it had been done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts