Opel GT Forum banner

What is your Guess for how many GT's are still on the road?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be your guess as to how many Opel GT's are still on the road. Yes I know the 70k to the US and 100k world wide.

My guess is that there is about half or less still on the road.

BTW New guy here from Da Burgh (that's Pittsburgh, PA for the rest of yinz)

I am currently in the process of buying a 73 GT (with donor). Put some money down on it already so it on the way. I sold one of my bike's yesterday to finance the new toy :( but cant wait to have a new toy ;). Don't worry I have a second bike.

The body is in fantastic condition with virtually no rust (in PA even) and fully original as far as I can see.

I haven't decided if I am going to do a full resoration or partial. I bought it so my 16yr old son and I can have some fun together.

Well just a quick hello and you'll be seeing me.

The bike that went a 1998 Ducati ST2

·
UFOpel Investigator
3,472 Posts
On the road and survived as complete cars are two different things and way less then 40K, imo.

This has come up before and the best information on the survival rate of cars and
trucks is published by the US Government Department of transportation.

According to it's charts based on mathematical formulas and records of scrapage, going back 35 years is that of the 1970 model year vehicle less then 0.3% have survived in the US. But for cars considered collectible or of special interest like Opel GT's and others, the survival rate would be a bit higher. What I've come to conclude after reading the charts, of the 100,000 originally produced, around 4000 to 5000 1969-1973 Opel GT's have survived world wide and on the road. Maybe. Probable not many more then that. :no:

Here is the Gov web site. You can read the info and charts and draw your own conclusion.
Chapter 3 All Highway Vehicles and Characteristics - Transportation Energy Data Book :yup:

·
boomerang opeler
5,634 Posts

well you said "guess" :haha:

may as well ask " how long is a piece of string "

in the uk i think it is less than 70 cars which is not bad as we never got it to start with

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I've been watching Ebay and CL for a year and a half watching for a Rekord P2 and have yet to see one, except for the one listed on Ebay from Hungary. Bill

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
What I've come to conclude after reading the charts, of the 100,000 originally produced, around 4000 to 5000 1969-1973 Opel GT's have survived world wide and on the road.
I remember that 15 years ago there were more Opel GT's registered in Germany than were ever sold in Germany. About 8000 of them IIRC. Yup, they were buying up our rust-free west-coast cars left and right! This was from the mouth of Stefan Lukas, one of the author's of the book 'Nur Fliegen ist Schoner' about the Opel GT.

About the same time I paid a company to check the US registrations, and we had a little over 6200 registered GT's in the entire US.

If I had to guess, due to the ravages of time I'd say there are about 25,000 - 30,000 'useable' GT's left worldwide. Plenty of parts cars left I'd imagine however....

·
Banned
420 Posts
If someone had asked me how many GT's, or Opel in general where left 5 years ago, I would have said 10 or 15 and they are all hiding in Harold's woods. :haha:Jesse

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember that 15 years ago there were more Opel GT's registered in Germany than were ever sold in Germany. About 8000 of them IIRC. Yup, they were buying up our rust-free west-coast cars left and right! This was from the mouth of Stefan Lukas, one of the author's of the book 'Nur Fliegen ist Schoner' about the Opel GT.

About the same time I paid a company to check the US registrations, and we had a little over 6200 registered GT's in the entire US.

If I had to guess, due to the ravages of time I'd say there are about 25,000 - 30,000 'useable' GT's left worldwide. Plenty of parts cars left I'd imagine however....
Based upon this website the German number has really fallen.

http://rc.opelgt.org/zulassungsstatistik.html

There are approximatly 1509 GT registered in Germany as of 1/1/2010.

·
UFOpel Investigator
3,472 Posts
Based upon this website the German number has really fallen.

http://rc.opelgt.org/zulassungsstatistik.html

There are approximatly 1509 GT registered in Germany as of 1/1/2010.
Interesting.
I tend to think there are far fewer worldwide on the road then many think. I don't understand why the GT would beat the odds for what other like collectible/classic cars have survived intact. I may be a bit low with 4000 to 5000 surviving world wide, but if it's many more then that, I'd be shocked. :yup:

·
104 Posts
Is there no way to find out how many GT's are registered in the US? I'm asking about every US GT-driver I'm meeting - no-one knows.
As for Germany: of course we never had more GT's than actually were sold 68-74.
(some 18.000 were sold. Back in the 80's we had approx 8000 left on the road. The number dropped then of course due to the fact, that the car became a 'real' classic, parts became expensive - In the 80's it was just a used sports car, once it became a classic and really took your time, only the real GT-lovers remained.)

Many are re-imports from the US by now. But considering the 70 k were sold in the US,
my guess was that at least 7-10 k survived. Someone should find out :)

·
UFOpel Investigator
3,472 Posts
Is there no way to find out how many GT's are registered in the US? I'm asking about every US GT-driver I'm meeting - no-one knows.
As for Germany: of course we never had more GT's than actually were sold 68-74.
(some 18.000 were sold. Back in the 80's we had approx 8000 left on the road. The number dropped then of course due to the fact, that the car became a 'real' classic, parts became expensive - In the 80's it was just a used sports car, once it became a classic and really took your time, only the real GT-lovers remained.)

Many are re-imports from the US by now. But considering the 70 k were sold in the US,
my guess was that at least 7-10 k survived. Someone should find out :)
Unfortunately each of our 50 states has it's own Department of transportation and motor vehicles division. IDK of any one place the answer could be obtained from.
A person would have to add up 50 different answers if the information is even available
from each state. If someone is in law enforcement, they may know of a central source of that info. Dunno. Our Federal EPA only provides statistically obtained info on remaining cars for each model year since 1970 I believe, and I already posted that link.:yup:

A fairly accurate estimate may be by totalling our three major Opel parts suppliers customer base. OGTS, Opels Unlimited and USAOpel if they would want to help or even keep track of their customers cars. I doubt if many GT owners in NA don't do business with at least one of them now.

Btw. I believe your numbers are in the true range of surviving Opel GT's from 1968 to 1973. I would be faily surprised if over 10,000 existed world wide. That would be 10% and way over any cars like MGB's, AH sprites and MG midgets or other contemporary sports cars of the era. Jmo.

·
104 Posts
I used to have a wonderful Manta A, actually I had three...
Back in the 80's it was considered a 'poor man's GT' (maybe
a third of the price one still had to pay for a GT) and many
more Manta's existed than GT's.

By now the Manta A became scarce and less cars are registered than GT's (over here)!

·
Super Moderator
13,812 Posts
Is there no way to find out how many GT's are registered in the US?
Like I said previously:
So yes, there are companies you can pay (I think it cost me $200 almost 20 years ago) to search for DMV registrations for a particular make/model of car. They cannot give owners names, or any more specific info than 'they exist' due to various state laws out there. Hemmings Motor News has listings for companies doing this sort of thing. I had just purchased C & R Small Cars and was wondering what the marketplace was out there.

At the same time, I was mailing out my own questionnaires with every order, and got about 600 of them back. One of the questions was 'How many Opels do you own, registered and/or parts cars?' The average was 2.8 cars per owner. So based on 6200 Opel GT's registered in 1991, and an average of 2.8 cars per owner, there were possibly a little over 17,000 GT's in the US back then. Of course, this doesn't take into account people who were not customers of mine, or people who had a bunch of GT's of which NONE were registered (like the 62 of them in an old building in the midwest).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts