Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
RunOpel
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got my 1971 Opel GT a little over 4 years ago, I have slowly been restoring to new parts. Though the GT was in very good condition, its still old and needs refreshing. With that said, when I replaced the entire fuel system, I discovered something very unusual inside the fuel tank (see attached picture).

You will notice there are two tire pressure gauges, where one came apart probably due to movement over time. I'm guessing it is a result of someones prank on the PO. Guess the PO didn't lock the gas cap :no: I believe the main reason a gas cap has a lock feature, is to prevent siphoning of the gas (was common back in the day). Or maybe prevention of what I discovered :yup:

Just thought I would post as something you don't normally see. And I was curious to other Opel owners UNBELIEVABLE MOMENTS.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
That's funny, not one, but two tire pressure gauges. Since I bought mine new, I know the gas cap was locked all the time.

My unbelievable moment was when I got off work and went to the parking lot to get the GT and go home. Only had it for about a month at that time. I got to my car and an older lady was at the back end of the GT. She had hit it backing up and not watching where she was going. I approached her and she tried to tell me that the damage was actually done before she hit it. Her proof: The red oxide primer was showing through and she said it was rust, and it couldn't have gotten rusty in that short of time. I finally told her that I should call the police, at that point she said she was sorry and that she did hit my car. Got it fixed, but it never looked right. when I was doing the restoration I found out why. The body shop use about three pounds of Bondo, and after sanding it they painted it. I had to take dollies and pound out the dent, the crease in the rear was on the left side and right on the lip of the rear end. Sure wish I knew that years before. oh well it's done now, and it's fixed right. Maybe about a 32nd of a inch thick in a couple places, the rest of it is down to the metal. Funny now, but it wasn't then.

Bob

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,483 Posts
The 1.9 engine that came in my GTX had the brake booster hose plugged into the valve cover.

:pat:

As far as an unbelievable moment, I was going around one of New Jersey's legendary circles(a roundabout in England) one day and did a 180* spin out. Circles work pretty good if there isn't too much traffic, but on a major highway, like the one I was on, you can get gridlock and then everything goes to heck in a hand basket as straight lines try to have sex with circles. No gaps in the traffic from any of the directions leads to everyone trying to screw everyone else. A clusterfluck. Just before they started doing away with the circles on the major roads, they came up with the idea of adding stop lights about one block before each entrance to the circle. They would only stop you for 15 seconds, then you could go again. This would create gaps in the traffic and the starving dehydrated people stuck for days in the circle could finally escape and get back to civilization. I was in just such a situation at rush hour. I was in the closest-to-the-center lane of the circle(aka: The 7th Circle of Hell). Never go there, that's where idiots who don't know how to drive in a circle live. You'll just go 'round and 'round all day and never escape the black hole. The light turned red, the gap in traffic happened, and I stepped on the gas to join the other cut throats trying to escape the clutches of The Circle of Doom. Someone's car/truck must've been leaking oil badly 'cuz I quickly ended up spinning like a ballerina in the Ice Capades. No good reason for it: moderate acceleration, dry roads, good tires. I spun, I stopped spinning, I was entirely facing the wrong way, and my fellow circle prisoners swerved all around me until they were gone. Meanwhile the traffic metering light changed. 3 lanes of blood thirsty, hell bent for leather, rush hour carnivores, roared towards me. I hit the gas again and did a....controlled, this time......180* spin to get myself facing the correct way and floored it to safety.

:veryhappy

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
hahahahaha WOW Dan that's funny as all get out 2 no doubt

the round abouts hilarious I can't stand them
As for me It would have to be when I started my cooling system rebuild
I had no plans on doing anything with the radiator other than flushing while I was in there and low and behold I smacked the crap out of it trying to get the battery out :sigh:
HHUUMM why does the center of my radiator look so wet
First words, are you f'n kidding me, unbelievable :ugh::no:
$535.00 later recored 3 row radiator. Thank fully Gil had a spare upper and lower cans for me to rebuild with.
Also had the man add a petcock for me to make draining a little less messy :yup:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I discovered something very unusual inside the fuel tank (see attached picture). You will notice there are two tire pressure gauges
That's so out of place I thought these were two separate stories at first. I was like "Wait, finish the one about the gas tank first..." :p

When I was removing my gas tank I discovered just how much room there is underneath all the body panelling back there. There was an old book about gangsters, so dry that the pages crumbled to dust. Really, anything that fell behind there would fall behind and under the tank and you'd realistically never retrieve it. How likely is it that someone ever removes a gas tank on a car?

Most unbelievable thing to me was at the inspections office, with obviously two cars shoved into one up on a trailer, different door and body colors, not even welded back together. Inspection agent says "Do you have a cell phone?", "Yeah", "Can you climb up and take a picture of the VIN for me and then email me?"

And that was their inspection. Didn't even get high enough to look in the windows. Literally any photo of a VIN I've ever taken in my life could have been fine. Ditto for manufacturer's statement of compliance.

Then at the border, same deal. "Do you have a cell phone?", "Yeah", "Can you take a picture of the VIN for me?", "Sure, actually, I already have a printout of it from the last place.", "Oh, that's perfect!", so handed them the paper. At no point did the paper they saw necessarily have any connection to the vehicle parked 300 feet away that they supposedly inspected to be correct. Any black and white printout of a VIN and an MSC was good.

I'd spent weeks worrying and planning about how to combine parts from one car (no title) into another car (with title), and after super strict lectures about how it was impossible to legally own, my ownership process was equivalent to a customer service survey.

·
Living in the past
2,295 Posts
Unbelievable opel moments

I was at Bristol, Tn. at a IHRA National event and had changed the jetting in the carb. and re-set the timing for the altitude and air for that track. I put a couple tools in the car and was going to make a pass and click it off at wide open throttle top end and read the plugs. Just as I cleared the last mph light the car shut off as though it had read my mind without me touching anything. I coasted onto the return road, stopped and got out and opened the hood to look around to see what had caused the car to shut down. LOW AND BEHOLD the condenser had fell off the screw holding it on the side of the dist.,losing ground and shutting the car down. i got my tools pulled the plugs and read them and put them back in put the condenser back under the screw and tightened it down, got back in the car and it fired right up just as though everything was according to plan:yup::lmao:

·
RunOpel
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Those are amazing stories :yup: Not funny at the time, but definitely a memory you haven't forgotten :no:

There has got to be others out there with unbelievable moments. Please share, I can't be the only one that enjoys hearing about all the different ways we Opel owners have had to endure the Opel mishaps :speechles

On one hand I enjoy hearing about all the unusual moments Opel owners encounter and then on the other hand, I'm very thankful that didn't happen to me :veryhappy Looking forward to others sharing.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I bet there are many Dan,
I'm starting to think some are scared to share? :lmao:
OH NO that's to embarrassing I can't share that one LOL:yup:

Reactions: dpre

·
Living in the past
2,295 Posts
Another UNBELIEVABLE moument

I was getting ready to go to Rockingham, NC for the Spring Race and we had machined the flywheel(steel billet) and I had laid it off for a 9 1/4" MOPAR Borg & Beck racing clutch along with a 9 1/8" chevrolet Vega racing disc (right spline). We got everything back together and I was getting ready to load up to go to the race. I looked a Tom & Toby and told them " I am not going all the way to Rockingham to see if this clutch is going to work". I pulled the car out onto the street in front of the shop, brought the RPM's up to 6500 and launched the car and made all the shifts as though I was at the track and it worked fine. I slowed down, turned around and hit it again going back to the shop, I passed a older man in a pickup truck at about 4500-5000 rpm's in 4th gear running the open header, you should have seen his eyes:lmao:. I got the car back to the shop and loaded it on the trailer and took it home, I think I felt I had had all the fun I could stand for that day:yup:

·
Opeler
120 Posts
When I got my current GT the brakes didn't feel right, so when I got it home I pulled the front wheels to take a look, the previous owner had forgot to put in the retainer pins, the only thing that kept the brake pads from falling out was the inside of the rims, which had marks from the pads rubbing, only about 1/2" of the pad was rubbing on the disk. Then latter as I turned into my street the steering wheel cam off in my hands, I got lucky and was able to push it back on the spline, when I removed the horn button, not only was there no nut on the end of the shaft, there was no nut at all under the horn button.

·
Senior Contributor
1,534 Posts
Back in 2002 On my way back from Carlisle,, my second time attending the Event...

I lost my Driveshaft on I-78 in New Jersey,, I had one of the first 5 speed Conv. kits from OGTS and he would customize a Automatic Driveshaft to fit the Mod. "" And that was the Most Unbelievable Opel Moment "for me

The Bearing Caps are Just Epoxy or Hot Glued into the yokes... So One Bearing Cap .. took a Hike,,, Flew off,, while Driving at Hwyway Speeds :yikes:.... Gosh.. I thought the rearend was seized... It shook the car like crazy... throw me around inside, up against the closed driver side window,,, ..I pooped my pants LOL Oh schiit.

The Bearing Cap had flew off out of the Yoke and the driveshaft was still attached while am Driving.. unbalanced spinning Shaft.. I pull off the road Instantly took AAA Home.. Here the Photo
Broken Driveshaft.jpg

The solution is to take a Thick Flat washer the size Dia. of Cap in the yoke.. and spot weld washer to end as a lock
Most Driveshaft have snap rings to lock bearing caps..... Not our Opels 50 year old Glue... I bet a lot of you don't know
Glue holding your Driveshaft Bearing Caps together..:yup: Must be real good cement..glue..

My Guess this is Rare to happen..My Luck.. as I haven't heard this happening to others,,, Was a Black Cloud Day in 2002

·
RunOpel
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow some scary moments :sigh:
Lloyd that would have been a funny moment, liked to have seen his reaction as well :yup:
mschmalenberg that would not have been fun to deal with, no brakes and the steering wheel come off :no: glad you survived it
Mike another scary moment, glad you survived it as well :yup: didn't know that tid bit about the GT, good to know though.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My Guess this is Rare to happen..My Luck.. as I haven't heard this happening to others
Jeeeesus. That's terrifying. You sure that's standard? How is that not right up there with the headlight wiring fire hazard as the first thing to fix when you get your GT?

·
Super Moderator
13,552 Posts
Because it isn't a problem, the aforementioned incident is the first one I've ever heard of in my 36 years of RWD Opeling.
Not me driving, but my friend John (who got me into Opels in the first place) had his steering wheel fall off at 120 mph. I was the passenger at the time.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
WOW HOLY SHNITT CYCLES
Those are indeed some amazing and scary stories.
and story of the brakes then the steering
I bet when you got home you asked
dear lord what in sams Heck have I gotten myself into here :lmao::yup:

Reactions: dpre

·
RunOpel
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea Holy Moses Bob :pat: The good Lord was looking over you :yup:

I'm sure there are plenty of other unbelievable moments that would shock us all.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts