Opel GT Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I turned 19 years old and, to celebrate, my brother and I drove my recently purchased used GT with 60k miles from Phoenix to San Diego for a get away vacation. The GT was running great and we had a great time.

On the way back, on one of those long desert roads, I decided to push it to its top speed. Off it went, 80, 85, 90, CLUNK, CLUNK, CLUNK. It was road kill.

We walked a few miles through the hot desert air to Buckeye, found a bar, called dad to tow us home and had a few beers. Drinking age was 19 at the time.

The engine had thrown a rod.

Block was OK so I was able to rebuild it to a high spec. Ran great after that, right up to the point where it was totaled.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
slracer hahahahaha
My first side angle grinder that I purchased years ago when I was senior builder of special operations for U.S. Homes
Was from Harbor freight the pool guys forgot there's and had to do a little grinding on the slab edge as you walk out or in the pool area.
I was so proud I said hey guys I just bought a brand new one you can use mine to break it in
He had it in his hands for 5 mins maybe and damned if it didn't catch fire in his hands like it was full of fuel:lmao:
He was fine of course but I never bought another electric tool from them to this day outside of the mig welder that was on sale I've had it now for 10yrs or so never had an issue till I let someone borrow it:ugh:
That was lesson 2 if you need a loaner tool go to the parts house not mine:no::lmao::yup:

Reactions: slracer

·
Registered
247 Posts
My story started in a Bar a long time ago. I had parked my bike for the weekend. A little too nippley for the girls riding with me. So I'm wandering around, and I hear some female holler "Hey you" Ok I'll bite, cute looking blonde too, So of course I ease over there, and hear "What are you doing?". "Nothing, but doing it with you" Ok now, no clue as to where, or what we were going to do, but I had a knockout blonde to hang off my arm, wherever we ended up. Go outside, start backing my beloved Manta out of it's parking place and Wham, right in the right rear. Grabbed 357, and out the door I go. Crap, it was the Blonde. Well, Dam. Looked at it and it wasn't bad, but I cussed and bitched like it was. Drop my car off at my house and we take her VW Beetle. Smokes kinda heavy in the car, Jams are loud, listening to the Stones and I tell her to check her tape deck out. (Most of us remember 8 Tracks). Why? "It's on fire" well she'd put her cigarette on the tape and it burned down until it hit the tape and started skipping. Well got that put out, and got to the "Club". Black Horse Cellar in Danville Va. Sat there a while and the blonde turns to me and asks "What do you want to do? (Don't ask an old horn dog that one), so I pop up and say "Make **** to you" No need to beat around the bush, right?. She turned red as a beet and a little while later we leave. So we go back to my house, and I bend in the window, kiss her cheek, and go in and pop a beer. She sat there for 10 min, before she left. I laughed my butt off as I had hook, line and sinker in. See her 2 days later and it's a done deal. Well to end this story on a happy note, That knockout blonde is my wife, she rode my bike with me, she moved in with me, bringing a Piranha, (another story), that was 42 years ago. Have 1 son, Jordan, and I still have my Manta. Merry Christmas all, Jarrell
Did you ever go to the South Drive In or park at Berry Hill...........................How about breakfast at the Sanitary Cafe...

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,498 Posts
Back in the 90's. 18" snowfall. Whole State(Jersey) shut down for 3 days. Living in an apartment complex, no one could get out of their parking spaces to get to the store. My GT was able to ride on top of the snow and I did numerous runs to the supermarket to feed my neighbors.

Going around one of Jersey's notorious highway circles. They had added traffic metering lights before the circles to create gaps in the traffic. If one direction of traffic was very heavy it used to lock up the circles. One day I'm stuck in the circle, the light-metered gap arrived and I stepped on the gas, I apparently hit an oil slick and did a 180* spin out. I'm now in the pass-through part of the circle facing the wrong way, the metering light had changed and 3 lanes of aggressive Jersey drivers are charging at me. I hit the gas again and did another 180* spin and high-tailed it out of there.

41 - 47 of 47 Posts