Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a 1971 Opel Manta and I would like to purchase a new engine for it but don't know where to start. I also would like to keep it close to 1300 dollars if possible. Anybody got some suggestions?

·
4ZUA787
665 Posts
check out what ogts has in stock they may have a nice engine for a nice price yah just gotta give um a call, and see what they got.

·
Registered
136 Posts
If you spend a little bit more, around $1800, you can do a conversion of 1.9-2.4l (possible for less depending on deals on parts, and machinest). I'm currently in the midsts of this project with my gt. Here is a fantastic article that gives a good overview of the project: 1.9-2.4L Also a search on the forum will yield lots of information on this conversion. Otherwise, as has been said, call ogts, opels unlimited, and the other opel parts places listed in the parts links. A used 2.2l should be around $1500-1800. If you want to stick with a 1.9, these can be had very cheaply. Good luck to you with you project :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
I once met a guy that put an Omega 2.4 engine in his Manta
(Omega is i think sold as Cadillac Catera? in the US) however i didn't see the engine or know much about it, but aparently its a very easy convertion.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
a 2.0 conversion will run you about 1000 total. a 2.0 with opel pistons or venolias *or how ever you spell it* will run a little more

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Modesty

Have a look at the Intrepid Adventures of Greensmurf20 in the thread "Economical CIH Engine Rebuild" There is heaps of information in that thread about putting a 1.9/2.0 litre engine together and getting it running. Most of what you need to know is there along with "DO's" and "DON'Ts"

It is required reading!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts