Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
i'm trying to get to know what kind of solex carb i have. it was on the car when i bought it but it is not the original engine, it's a rebuiled one. and i dind't check if it is a n or an s yet. can someone tell me what type carb i have? i added some pictures.
thnx for the hellp
tom

Attachments

·
583 Posts
Hi Tom,

Look on the engine block for a flat area that has the engine number on it. This flat area is on the side of the engine with the alternator. The number should have a letter "S" or "N" at the end of the numerals. The Solex looks like the ones on the US engines. Are you going to continue to use that one or get a Weber?

Dave

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Stock Carb

That is a standard model Solex type 32/32 DIDTA caburettor with vacuum secondary and electric choke. The shiny alloy tag held on by the screw in the first picture will have the part number on it - and an "OPEL" logo if it is from an Opel. If it is not an Opel one it may be from a BMW.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
vac sec is a manta/ascona carb i think , gt's had a mech sec i think ,may be wrong im going of memory from early eightys

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
I know 69 and 70 GTs had mechanical secondaries and water chokes. I did notice the idle compensator was missing on the one pictured. I've heard stories of the vacuum diaphram leaking and causing that type to have no secondary. Just some observations.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
i used to do great trade fixing mantas/asconas and cavaliers(vauxhall )
with the vac secondarys with a tube of superglue and a latex anti baby suit :D
you could not get the rubber diaphragm and pull rod for love nor money opel/vauxhall would sell you a new carb and that was it

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
You have the kind of Solex that needs to be replaced with a Weber.

HTH!!!

·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GTJIM said:
That is a standard model Solex type 32/32 DIDTA carurettor with vacuum secondary and electric choke. The shiny alloy tag held on by the screw in the first picture will have the part number on it - and an "OPEL" logo if it is from an Opel. If it is not an Opel one it may be from a BMW.

You're right, this is it. i now know. i'm only wondering now if it is opel or bmw. i went with it to opel yesterday the recognised the code but they couldn't find it. i read something in another tread here that there are mounting threads on the bwm carb that are not on the opels.
i think it must be from a opel manta 1.9. my dad thought also (has had the car from 81) i'm looking for a weber but i can't afford a new one. and in holland there is not that much second hand to find. so that was why i want to rebuild this one, it''s dirty but when i give it a good clean it will be as new. cause the car it was on only ran 10.000km with the rebuild engine in it. that got in back in the 70's, this weekend i'll go check if i got the s of n engine. i hope the first.
well thanks for the help.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
the solex on bmws has 4 bolts come up from underneath and the mounting holes are threaded on all the ones i had or have worked on ;)
tom for the weber go to junk yard and look for older fords taurus ,cortina granadas with sohc engine and a lot of them have 32-36 on them( dont get a VV they are the ones that have a sliding top) and any with a V6 2.8 or 3.0 should have a 36-36 dgas big smiles carb when you get it rejetted

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hello everyone!!!

I recently found a top-condition Solex 32/32 in a junk yark. I didn't pay much attention to the details and bought it (for 10$) but it is much different when compared to the stock Opel Solex. I posted some pictures, can somebody take a look and possibly identify the "donor" car? unfortunately the identification tag is missing... Could it be a TDID instead of a DIDTA?

It has the 5 screw cover, electric choke, slightly different linkage for the secondary, no float chamber vent valve, no hot idle compensator, no econostat, and idle is adjusted only by 1st barrels flap and mixture screw. Internally it lacks progression jets (the ones to the right of the secondary's main), it has 24mm venturi in the 1st, and 26mm in the second.

Thanks guys in advance!!!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Tom;
I hope you don't plan on using that solex as it has two gaping holes that need to be covered and sealed for it to work. I have posted a pic with the two holes I'm referring to.
Gene

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
Some addl Solex ID, US usage

Electric choke makes it a '73 or '74 model, all the ones before that had water chokes. In general, vacuum vs. mechanical secondary distinguishes between "other than GT" and GT model usage, but not always. Number on tag (still having a tag shows it's probably not ever been apart) will date it by year(s) of usage.

BTW, "big holes" mentioned in previous post are smog related fuel bowl vents that were piped to charcoal canister to reduce emissions . . . not real critical, but shouldn't be left open to just underhood, "unfiltered" air either.

·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jlthunder said:
The Manta/Ascona used the vacuum for the secondary barrel and the GT used a mechanical cam.
what would be a better choice looking at it from a technical side. and what would be better a electric choke or a water?

ok well so it wouldn't be a good idea to use this carb? then i have 2 choiches, see what carb is on the car right now. i'll take it off tomorrow. and the second one is looking for a second-hand weber.. but what webber would be the best? i want a good mix between performance and fuel usage cause one liter of fuel costs € 1,30 that is about $ 1,66. and it's going to be a daily driver. but i don't want the most drivable carb i want a good performance one. i heared baz say:

granadas with sohc engine and a lot of them have 32-36 on them( dont get a VV they are the ones that have a sliding top) and any with a V6 2.8 or 3.0 should have a 36-36 dgas big smiles carb when you get it rejetted

that last one about 36-36 dgas sounds good. what is the difference between those two in performance? and what would you do? saying you don;t have a lot of money but time enough to fix things. (student). and want good performance out of it.

tom

·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tekenaar said:
Sorry, dat mijn Hollands niet te goed meer is . . . helemaal geen gelegenhijd om 't af en toe hier in Texas te oefenen.
sorry voor mijn engels. youre dutch isn't bad at all.

thnx for the advise. but i don't think i'll keep this solex just because it is not one from a opel gt. and it needs some modification.

but what is better?
water vs elektric choke?
mechanical or vacuum second linkage?

·
583 Posts
Ask Otto.

Tom,

You've lost me. The carburator in the picture from early in this post is a Solex DIDTA 32. This Russian carburator that you are speaking about is a mystery. Rebuild the Solex if you can not find a Weber. The difference in the DGEV and DGAV is "E" has an electric choke and "A" is a choke operated by hot water from the engine's cooling system.

Cheers,

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
dave i think you will find that solex is a french company not german and they were made in russia by tatra and czechoslovacia for skoda as well ,i hate to say this about the neighbours (my countrys traditional enemy for a millennium) but they were the carb of choice for speed for 40 odd years thank the gods for the italians

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
English

tom_laan said:
sorry voor mijn engels. youre dutch isn't bad at all.

thnx for the advise. but i don't think i'll keep this solex just because it is not one from a opel gt. and it needs some modification.

but what is better?
water vs elektric choke?
mechanical or vacuum second linkage?
Your English is just fine, Tom. I just wanted to practice a bit of Dutch. ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts