Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Manta/Ascona used the vacuum for the secondary barrel and the GT used a mechanical cam.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
tom the cost should not be to much my last dgas cost about 20 euros but they are getting thin on the ground with all the injection about now
the dgav has much the same action and economy as the solex it is just so much easyer to tune and maintain, dgas has the 2 chokes open at the same time as they are linked by 2 gears and work very much like the dcoe side draft carbs so you get the most from them,they need the inlet manifold ported to get the best from them (look in search for the posts on it from rally bob and others ) when i had 1 on my gt it was good for 208kph indicated on the speedo with no other changes ,some inlet work and a free flow exhaust system would have given maybe another 10-15 kph and much faster acceleration
these cars are a hoot at 6500 rpm in top gear :D
they look all much the same like this dgav

btw if you get 1 with a return on the carb you can put a "T" in the fuel line before the pump and this will stop the carb flooding

Attachments

·
296 Posts
so you're recommending a dgas? but what side? and is there much difference between 32-36 and 36-36?

you posted two pictures? that are?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
baz said:
they look all much the same like this dgav
they are both good it is more a case of what you can find
i liked to use a dgas 36-36 as they were what i had sitting around and make more power
the dgav32-36 in the pic is 1 i was going to post to a member in canada but he got 1

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
tom_laan said:
what would be a better choice looking at it from a technical side. and what would be better a electric choke or a water?

ok well so it wouldn't be a good idea to use this carb? then i have 2 choiches, see what carb is on the car right now. i'll take it off tomorrow. and the second one is looking for a second-hand weber.. but what webber would be the best? i want a good mix between performance and fuel usage cause one liter of fuel costs € 1,30 that is about $ 1,66. and it's going to be a daily driver. but i don't want the most drivable carb i want a good performance one. i heared baz say:

granadas with sohc engine and a lot of them have 32-36 on them( dont get a VV they are the ones that have a sliding top) and any with a V6 2.8 or 3.0 should have a 36-36 dgas big smiles carb when you get it rejetted

that last one about 36-36 dgas sounds good. what is the difference between those two in performance? and what would you do? saying you don;t have a lot of money but time enough to fix things. (student). and want good performance out of it.

tom
Eigenlijk, 't beste voor jouw is om de Solex te bewaren. Ik heb persoonlijk nooit veel moeite gehad met Solexes. Een beetje schoon maken, een beetje opstellen, een beetje prutsen en dan ben je al klaar. De Solex is de zuinigste op benzin van deze carburateuren en, waneer die goed opgesteld is, heefd die ook goeie "performance" . . . niet zo goed als die Webers natuurlijk, maar wel voldoende, denk ik. Dat is wat ik daarvan te zeggen heb.

Sorry, dat mijn Hollands niet te goed meer is . . . helemaal geen gelegenhijd om 't af en toe hier in Texas te oefenen.

·
Opeler
193 Posts
This isn't really anything to do with the Solex, but it was mentioned that engines are stamped with an S or N. What is the difference between the engines with the S and the N on them?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
Sport and North american as far as i remember

·
296 Posts
today i went to my car made a lot of pics and will put them on tomorrow. i looked for the number on the motor it a silver tag with GM on it and it is beneath the spark plugs. it says: 851 1597 19S10 1998.

the weird thing is i also checked what carburator is on it. and i couldn't find anything on it exept from some weird names:

caenaho b cccp.. i googled it and found out i means made in USSR
then i found some numbers on it:
2101-1107010 when google on this only russian sites.

hmm weird i got a russian carburetor on my car. hehe anyone ever heared of this?

·
583 Posts
Carburator and engine.

Tom,

The engine is a 1.9L "S" or Sport designation. The carburator is not Russian, it is German. I can send you a kit to bebuild it if you want.

If you replace it, get a Weber 32/36 DGEV. You can get the jet sizes by doing a "search" on Opelgt.com.

·
296 Posts
David McCollam said:
Tom,

The engine is a 1.9L "S" or Sport designation. The carburator is not Russian, it is German. I can send you a kit to bebuild it if you want.

If you replace it, get a Weber 32/36 DGEV. You can get the jet sizes by doing a "search" on Opelgt.com.
that was what i was hoping for. i dind't know for sure because it's not the original engine. but i'm lucky. for the carburator, i don't mean the solex on the pictures. that one was not on the car right now. i have 2. lets say you were talking about my "made in ussr" carburator, what kind of carb is it?

i'm looking for a weber 32/36 dgev, what is the difference in dgev and dgav i searched here but couldn;t find it i got so many hits. it is hard to find a second hand weber here in holland, going to search for it in germany but don;t really know where to begin. hehe.

tom

·
Opeler
193 Posts
Engine code

This isn't really pertinent to the solex question, but one of the earlier posts mentioned the S and N codes on the engine block. Do these signify anything?

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
dan scroll up to the other time you asked its answered there (post 22 of this thread)

·
296 Posts
hello, could someone tell me what is best, mechanical second or vacuum?
and what is better? elec. or water shoke??? what are the pro's about those two and what are the down things about the 2? asked it before but didn't got an answer. hehe

·
Super Moderator
9,749 Posts
Tom;
mechanical secondary is better as you get instant reponse, vacuum, you have to wait till it pulls to open. As for chokes, it's a personal issue as either work great. I prefer electric as there is less clutter around the carb and makes it easier to get at the various tuning points.

·
296 Posts
aha ok thnx. uhm another question. i found a weber 32/36 dgev on the web is there any difference in them? or are all weber 32/36 dgev the same? because the one i found was to be used on triumph spitfire.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
tom i've never seen a spitfire with a downdraft carb are you sure its a dgev?,
i would have thought it would be a sidedraft (dcoe or something in the newer ones ) on a spitfire they run strombergs normally so there would be no room to put a downdraft in

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
its a downdraft, im just suprised its for spitfire thats all

·
296 Posts
ok. well i don't know much about it so that's why i posted the foto. so you could verify it. well i'm almost certain i'll get it. thanks to the good current € to $. so if i understand it right. i should be able to just bolt it on there... right?

·
Super Moderator
5,298 Posts
DGEV vs. DGAV

tom_laan said:
ok. well i don't know much about it so that's why i posted the foto. so you could verify it. well i'm almost certain i'll get it. thanks to the good current € to $. so if i understand it right. i should be able to just bolt it on there... right?
It's definitely a 32/36 type with the water choke (actually a DGAV type - agua, not DGEV - eletrico) and has mechanical secondary (no vacuum pot).

You'll have a real difficult time getting it to breathe as pictured though! :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts