Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh I've got big plans, but won't be surprised if none of them get done. I have a sport spring to install, '75 Manta brakes, hopefully remove my '79 Vette seats and get new seat covers for the Opel seats. maybe fix the seal on my a/c compressor because it flings goo on my hood...

·
Opel fan
357 Posts
This winter I plan on putting an almost stock high comp. engine in my 72 with the ported intake, sprint manifold and bigger exhaust, electronic ignition and upgrade the altenater, it has a getrag 5-speed. Plus I have another GT or two to put together besides that. You wanna talk about not sure your gonna get it all done!:D

·
1000 Post Club
4,118 Posts
I have already started my winter projects. Remove dashboard, dash & heater box so I can clean out the mouse nest(completed this past weekend after final ride). Install new heater core, heater valve and new heater control plate and cables. Install new speakers in the spare tire area(maintain stock look). Remove the glass from all of the gauges and clean so they don't fog up when I am driving.

Put it all back together in March or April 2004 and go for a relaxing ride.

·
Driver
987 Posts
That's the funny thing. Here in central TX we can finally comfortably drive in the winter (w/o A/C)
For those of us who don't have a/c cars, the summer time is a good time to do projects because it is too damn hot to drive.:D

But I plan on doing the inexpensive VW seat belts as discussed before and find/install a pair of MX5 Miata seats with speakers in the headrest. Maybe a Sprints exhaust manifold and ported intake too. Now I'm getting carried away, since we are also having a baby this winter!

·
648 Posts
I'm going to do an AutoX on Saturday, then get my inspection sticker. After that, it goes up on stands and I'm finally going to pull my leaking tranny. I don't know if I'll just try to fix the leaks again or brake down and buy a Getrag from OGTS. After the tranny replacement, I'll build a new exaust system. Louder. Then I'll get back to work on my "Miami" big brake system. While it's down, I think I'll install a oil cooler...it's been on the "list" too.

So if I get 1 out of 4 done, I'll be doing good!

Bestus,
James

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Winter? There's no winter here in SoCal:D I'd like to get the V-6 running some time soon. That means a complete electrical, cooling, fuel and other systems upgrades. After that, detail other than the exterior to make it look pretty, new upholstery, then body and exterior paint. Hopefully to be done by OMC 2004.

Ron

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sadly, I may sell my GT. :( I have toooo many projects going at the same time. Plus, my 8 year old PC is shooting craps, I've spent $2000 fixing both daily drivers recently, and I just lost my furnace and AC. This is bid week for HVAC systems. It really bites. My wife prefers heat to the GT (which she calls, "That blue thing in the garage"). If I sell it, I'll have a wake and she'll have a party. I don't feel the love.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
I'm doing some welding, wire and rust inspection and general body prep for painting. Then it's all a matter of saving money for: 1) high-density molded carpet and head-liner, 2) 2.2 or .4 rebuilt engine (since parts are too expensive) and 3) a nice set of narrow seats (I'll have to custom make the seat brackets). $2k roughly for that stuff, I'm thinking. I save doing my own paint.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Winter ? Whats that? Oh I know thats when I turn the garden down and get to have a fire or two in the fireplace right.....?
I will get my GT looking better this winter, interior and exterior.
If I plan on showing up at any events I'll have ta' , you folks have nice Opels around here.:D

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
its always winter , isnt it? i live at the same latitude as hudson bay in a place that gets wind from the artic 9 months a year (check with any one thats been to the north of the british isles in summer ) have a friend from sascatchewan who when home last winter because it was to cold here

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hmm over the past week its put down nearly a foot of snow.

But, the gt is still my only daily driver...as for projects, I've got a passenger mirror that I might put on that came off a UK gt :D And other misc. projects like fix a tear on the seat, keep hunting engines, maybe get the rear window defroster to work. I was suprised at how well behaved the gt has been on ice, considering its a rwd light weight car I'm having no problems at all.

As for non-gt projects way to many to list. But I have 8 old turbos coming up from denver sometime this month, so I'll get started on that turbine engine project.

Good luck to everyone and their projects, if only i could feel my hands...im sure i could get more done ;)

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
my 71GT is getting paint and the new 2.0 this winter. already talked with dad and we're putting it in paint for my christmas present this year. and for my mom i'll see if i can con her into getting me a gasket set and timing chain for the new 2.0, so i can make use of that this spring.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
nothing big

This winter, if all goes well, the Kadett will be getting a new turbocharged EFI motor with the 2.2 head and Getrag I picked-up yesterday. Possibly a new front suspension while it's out as well, but that has yet to be seen.

The GT is going to be slapped together this weekend and I'm going to use it as my winter beater. Maybe someone will want to buy it if they see it driving around every day? At least I'll get all the little stuff fixed on it and the Kadett won't see much road salt.

·
Opeler
36 Posts
After careful review of what is left of the rust bucket, it looks as though it will be reborn as a hot rod GT. The plan is to widen the body by about 8 inches, chop the roof and make a modified targa, lower the windshield about 6 inches, make a new custom interior. The nose will drop off right at the headlight rings and have a custom spoiler that somewhat resembles a Viper front except with openings that complement the original GT ducts. My wife has already complained that she cant see over her shoulder or behind her (she's short) so it will also get a video screen with camera instead of mirrors.
I have no plan on finishing it this winter but since winter around here lasts forever I should be able to get quite a bit finished.

·
Registered
16 Posts
what do i plan on doing this winter? walking a lot!:( my nice 70 GT i bought just a little over a month ago just seized the the motor last week on the way to work. AAARRGGHH!

but have no fear, instead of sheeling the clams out to get the motor rebuilt or swap in another engine, i just bought a car cover for it and am goign to let it sit for the winter.

now that doesn't meen i won't be busy working on it. i figure since the motor took a crap i might as well completely focus on getting my 2.3T and five speed with the shortened 9" ready to be put in. right now i'm buying the parts to rebuild the 2.3 engine. it should be a pretty potent little four popper when all is said and done. i'm shooting for 400+hp and and a 9000+ RPM redline out of it. which isn't actually too hard to get out of these motors. i just bought my CNC billet aluminum flywheel for it that only weighs in at 9 LBs is sfi rated and since it has a stainless steel friction pad insert it can handle any type of clutch i want to run on it, be it ceramic, kevlar, or even sintered iron. it cost me about $260, not too bad IMO.

the other big thing is i need to get with jon.haas and pick his brain so i can get any brackets and the like i will need to fab up taken care of this winter so when spring hits all i have to do is throw it in my friends shop and tear into it for about a week straight. at least that what i PLAN on doing we'll see how much money i can actually get away with spending on it.

·
Opeler
28 Posts
What do I plan to do this winter? Well, let's see, an 18 year storage and the car is still in the same condition as when I purchased it, so I think the proper question is what not am I going to do! I replaced the fuse box and got the electrical system working shortly after I purchased the car (except for the clock and radio which need to be fixed or replaced) so the car is going up on jackstands and I'm gonna tear it apart. I"m sure I'll have a list of things to do once I start getting into the guts of the car and I"m sure I'll have plenty of questions for you guys too!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Done by Christmas?

It's normally dark and rainy here, so I have an aggressive schedule for my project...

OK, you can laugh now or go ahead and read it:

1. Remove existing 1.9L engine and 4 speed transmission
2. Install Irmscher 2.4L with EFI engine
3. Install Getrag 5 speed transmission
4. Install EFI grade fuel pump
5. Install metal fuel lines
6. Replace fuel vapor lines
7. Install Heavy duty radiator
8. Upgrade to larger ventilated disc brake rotors and calipers
9. Upgrade front springs
10. Install front and rear sway bars
11. Upgrade front and rear shocks
12. Replace front and rear suspension bushings
13. Install fan clutch
14. Rear springs may need to have section cut to set proper height
15. Better flowing exhaust
16. Seatbelt upgrade
17. Maybe replace ignition contact switch or put a relay in the circuit to improve the longevity of the switch.
18. Send clock out to be rebuilt
19. Rewire the front turn signal lights to flash the side lights instead of the front orange round lights

I'll save the sound system and body work for this summer...:cool:

The folks at OGTS love me...

I'll let you know how much I really get done! :D

·
Currently in Opel Detox.
78 Posts
I'm going to make mine run. Yes run. All of you have seen snipets of my bare body on ebay when I take pictures of parts on top of it, and this winter its going to run baby.

I am devoting 3k this winter to get the drivetrain correct to what I want, and then lots of time pre paint prepping and electrical work.

If I'm lucky I won't go over budget and I'll have a car driving with no interior and no exterior paint. and no glass, but its only winter

AND ITS ONLY BEEN SINCE 97 SINCE I STARTED STRIPPING PAINT.

sure is nice to be free to work on the GT again.

·
Opel Key Master
5,336 Posts
Girlie GT????

I have different plans this winter if i get the chance to do it. I am building a car for my future wife, that will be stock in many ways, but will be on the girlie side. Hey, I had to get her interested in Opels somehow. It will be tricked out with some wild custom wheels to go with the paint job. Previews available soon....
Keith

·
What's a Nopel?
352 Posts
bret brummitt said:
All of you have seen snipets of my bare body on ebay...
Hey Bret,
I can honestly say that I have never seen your bare body on ebay or anywhere else!

Good Luck!
Marc

:D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.