Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Contributor
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i ran into this picture.. not knowing what it is.. it has the opel emblem on it. could any help?? i couldnt find any info on this car. i searched " 2006 opel gt" into google.com so i saved the picture as 2006 opel gt concept?? any details on this car?? here is the picture:

Attachments

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Try "Vauxhall VX220" or "Lotus Elise"

It is the new Opel "Speedster" that is also sold under those other two names.

The second great Opel and a worthy successor to the GT ... IMHO

There was a Vauxhall badged one parked outside the Medical rooms at the end of my street - rushed home for the camera but it had been driven away :(

·
1450 Seeker...
613 Posts
GTJIM said:
Try "Vauxhall VX220" or "Lotus Elise"

It is the new Opel "Speedster" that is also sold under those other two names.

The second great Opel and a worthy successor to the GT ... IMHO(

Now I know no one asked, but this is a market segment that I have watched very closely recently... I'm officially obsessed.

As I understand the rumors as of this moment, the new Speedster/VX220 will have nothing to do with the Lotus Elise/Exige. Rather, we will see the General's new Kappa platform carry the Saturn Sky in the States, and the VX220/Speedster in the respective non-US markets. It's a shame that the Lotus Elise will be the sole torch-bearer for the featherweight, mid-engine traffic scapels, but at least it's available in the US now!!!

Additional rumors include a Pontiac coupe version (think Solstice concept car), and a non-US Opel coupe, likely called GT (I'm not sure where they got the GT name from...)

Cadillac had a Kappa platform coupe on the boards previously, but I am sure it was scrapped after the tepid response to the XLR... and the smashing success of the CTS-V (an Opel chassis for those counting).

Keep in mind that the Kappa platform that will be shared with the Sky, VX220, Speedster, Solstice and GT is not an Opel design rather what the General has referred to as a "world design"... meaning who knows where the hell it came from. I haven't heard anything about a Holden version...

·
415 Posts
I think it looks good. I'll have to get one of y'all in Europ to send the propper badging but I'd be very interested in having a gen 1 and gen 2 together!

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
i can see a roaring export trade in conversion kits (hoods grills rockercovers badges and bumpers) to make a gt for the yank market :D

·
Driver
987 Posts

·
GT Lover
29 Posts
saturn sky/pontiac solstice

same platform cars different exteriors and interiors. The Solstice is available as a 2006 model and the sky should be available around spring. Not sure what model year they will call it though. I had the pleasure of standing next to a Soltice this past weekend at the Pebble Beach Concours de' Elegance, unfortunately I did not have time to run and get my camera as I was working the event and had left it in my car while on break.

·
Opeler
33 Posts
Opel GT

Hi guys, as of now the convertible will be introduced as the Saturn Sky and the "hard top" will be the Opel GT.
But, we know how GM mixes things around, there is a subtle difference on the grill and the tail lights, but other then that you can hardly tell them apart.
I was talking to my nephew (GM employee) and we discussed the fact that GM was going way from making the same style car for different brands, he said YES they ARE going away from that....I proved him wrong yet once more.
Sad though that we can't get Opels on this side of the pond.

·
Driver
987 Posts
Thom71GT said:
Don't forget, that's also the Pontiac Solstice.
What? No the Saturn Sky and the Pontiac Solstice look nothing alike. Might be the same platform, yes.

From the pictures I have seen of the Sky and the GT, it is just a rebadge. Interior and all.
But all the GT pictures I've seen are not "official".

( I should misspell something just so Otto will come and correlct it. :p ;) )

·
Opeler
33 Posts
George, if you go to the official Opel factory site, I belive is there, The Opel emblem is on the grill and boy does it look good. Wonder How much it would cost to import one of them babys here. Hell I'll sell my Tahoe for one.

·
2,054 Posts
Visited a Solstice today!

The local Pontiac dealership called me down to the showroom today. The Solstice had arrived, been detailed, and was on display.

Damn! That car looks so much better in person than the pictures let on. It looks like a miata on steroids. Very beefy looking. Tough to see that in the pictures because there is typically nothing around it in the shots to provide perspective. Its beefer than a Z4.

This design looks better than the BMW roadsters, Porsche roadster, and the Mercedes small roadster.

With this and the Saturn Sky, looks like we now have an affordable way to drive a sister to the Opel GT.

Damn that is a fine looking design.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts