Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched, but can't seem to find the information I need. In the instrument panel there are several bulbs used for illumination of the gauges, lights over the switches, and the cluster between the tach and the speedo.

I have my instrument panel almost rewired completely. I want to put LED bulbs in the place of the incandescent bulbs that are presently in there. Has someone replaced these bulbs with LED lights? I have read many posts about it, but no company names or part numbers. I would like them to fit in the stock grounding plugs.

If you have done this please let me know if they are bright enough and the company you bought them from and the part number. I have just about worn myself out trying to come up with the answer. Thanks in advance, this will save me a ton of time.

Bob

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
I have searched, but can't seem to find the information I need. In the instrument panel there are several bulbs used for illumination of the gauges, lights over the switches, and the cluster between the tach and the speedo.

I have my instrument panel almost rewired completely. I want to put LED bulbs in the place of the incandescent bulbs that are presently in there. Has someone replaced these bulbs with LED lights? I have read many posts about it, but no company names or part numbers. I would like them to fit in the stock grounding plugs.

If you have done this please let me know if they are bright enough and the company you bought them from and the part number. I have just about worn myself out trying to come up with the answer. Thanks in advance, this will save me a ton of time.

Bob
There are too many available to list but be careful and don't buy ultra cheapo ones.

You need a BA9S socket type that has a wide angle of view. Get them as bright as possible.

They also have to be small enough to fit the hole for the bulb so 10mm is about the maximum diameter you can use.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
I'm totally LED'd out and I bought all my bulbs from Superbrite:

https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/

As mentioned, always buy the brightest or most # of LED's you can.

That said, I never replaced my dash lights, all my gauges were replaced with aftermarket. Personally, I REALLY liked the oem incandescent bulbs in the dash. That orange glow is written in my fond memories.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are too many available to list but be careful and don't buy ultra cheapo ones.

You need a BA9S socket type that has a wide angle of view. Get them as bright as possible.

They also have to be small enough to fit the hole for the bulb so 10mm is about the maximum diameter you can use.
I looked at LEDs with the BA9S and they are totally different than the ones in the dash. The ones in the dash are wedge type bulbs, unless there is a way to put the BA9S bulbs in a different socket, I am at a loss on how to install them. Any help with this would really be appreciated. I am not too smart when it comes to wiring options, so bear with me.

Bob

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
I looked at LEDs with the BA9S and they are totally different than the ones in the dash. The ones in the dash are wedge type bulbs, unless there is a way to put the BA9S bulbs in a different socket, I am at a loss on how to install them. Any help with this would really be appreciated. I am not too smart when it comes to wiring options, so bear with me.

Bob
If you have wedge bulbs then the PO changed them. Stock Opel GT dash gauges use a BA9S bulb base.

Post a picture and it's easier to see what we are talking about.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have wedge bulbs then the PO changed them. Stock Opel GT dash gauges use a BA9S bulb base.

Post a picture and it's easier to see what we are talking about.
Well, I don't know what to say, I am the previous owner!!!! I bought my GT new in 1971. I just took the instrument basel off to change the bulbs and figured I would put LED lights in. I am attaching three photos of the bulbs that are in the instrument panel. Never been changed. Now I am really at a loss.

Bob

Pictures in next post.

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
Here are the pictures of the bulbs and holders that are in my GT

Bob
That's ODD!!

I have never seen those bulbs, EVER in a GT. No, I'm serious! NEVER!!!
(except, maybe, in the switch lighting).

My Saab Sonnet had them though. I stole some spares from the ITEK printing plate making camera to use as spares but they were for 24V and didn't burn bright. My Ryobi printing press takes them also.

At any rate, those are available in LED.

I'm almost certain those are 5mm wedge.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
1,422 Posts
I think the confusion is between lights for the gauges (BA9) and lights for general dash cluster illumination (wedge). I know that my 73 GT had both.

·
Registered
677 Posts
That's ODD!!

I have never seen those bulbs, EVER in a GT. No, I'm serious! NEVER!!!
(except, maybe, in the switch lighting).
I agree I have never seen wedge bulbs anywhere in a GT instrument panel.

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
I think the confusion is between lights for the gauges (BA9) and lights for general dash cluster illumination (wedge). I know that my 73 GT had both.
Yup, I just checked and my spare dash has the wedge for the hazard switch light. BA9S for the gauges, except the clock.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, I just checked and my spare dash has the wedge for the hazard switch light. BA9S for the gauges, except the clock.
Maybe I got the exception to the instrument cluster. Can you get me a picture of the BA9S bulb holder? I think if I knew what they looked like, I can get some and use them instead of the plastic one terminal type. The wiring to each gauge and the hazard switch are all the plastic base with the very small light bulb. If it is relatively inexpensive I would change them all over as I have seen many of the BA9S base LED lights. How do the BA9S bulbs go into each of the gauges? That's the part I don't get, along with what connector to use. I have seen replacement lights for the GT instrument panel on OGTS's website, there are two types, and one looks like the BA9S (Part 5036)base. The other is the bulb I have (Part 5037).

Thanks for the help from everyone, once I decide what base to use, I am sure I can find the LEDs. I guess I am going to have to take lots of pictures and write down how it's done so no one else has to go through all this just to put in LED bulbs. I thought it would be pretty easy, but that's what I get for thinking.

Bob

·
Opeler
3,721 Posts
Wedge type bulbs are used for 5 indicator lights located in the cluster between speedometer and tachometer.

BA9S bulbs are used in the gauges except for the clock (if memory serves me, it is the same bulb as for indicator lights). I replaced all bulbs in gauges with LED type. I prefer green but the colour is personal choice. I was unable to locate LED bulb to replace wedge type bulb in the clock, so I brazed BA9S socket instead of original and used the same bulb as for the rest of gauges.

Replacing gauge bulbs with LED type is not straight forward process, though. Beside problem with different bulb in the clock, some of BA9S LED bulbs have too large "head" and cannot fit in the gauge.

Next, tachometer and speedometer have kind of plastic cap which prevents LED bulb to be inserted all the way. Those two gauges must be opened and caps removed. You can break those caps with the screwdriver through the socket but the pieces will rattle inside the gauges and possibly become obstruction for needle to move freely. So, be prepared to open those two gauges. Take an opportunity to clean the face and glass.

Finally, it should be noted that LED bulbs are not dimmable.

Here is the link to the bulbs that I used: 10pcs BA9S T4W H6W 1985 363 Green 5050 SMD 5 LED Car Wedge Side Light Bulb Lamp | eBay

Attachments

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
They look a lot like this

·
Über Genius
9,463 Posts
So, I am looking at 2 lights on each Tach and Speedo? . :thinking:
To what are the other 3 wires attached? . :confused:
Not looking forward to getting behind the dash! . :no:

Doug
On the back of the Speedo are two lights. One wire each.
On the back of the tach are two lights. One wire each.
On the back of the speedo there are additional wires, all brown. They provide grounds to all the rest of the gauges.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts