Opel GT Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Regarding dimmability, LEDs generally dim by a different method than incandescent. The standard dimmer reduces voltage, I believe the LEDs work by duty cycling the power on and off many times each second. Unless the bulbs have a way to convert voltage changes into duty cycling the LEDs are unlikely to work with factory dimmer.

·
Opeler
942 Posts
I've been using BA9S-CWHP5 from superbrightleds.com for about 5 years. Unless I'm looking at their specs incorrectly, I see them listed at 90 lumens. They're OK, not great, and dim just fine. Although, when I do drive at night, they're not so bright that I have to dim them.

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
80 Posts
I've been using BA9S-CWHP5 from superbrightleds.com for about 5 years. Unless I'm looking at their specs incorrectly, I see them listed at 90 lumens. They're OK, not great, and dim just fine. Although, when I do drive at night, they're not so bright that I have to dim them.
That one appears to have a collar around it that would prevent it from going into the base. Did you have any problem installing them? And your stock dimmer works ok? Thanks

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
There is one I found on superbright LED's website that would fit. 1970 Opel Opel Instrument Panel Light Bulb | Super Bright LEDs But it is only 4 lumens, which I think is the brightness of the original incandescent bulbs. Many LED's are now dimmable so that should not be much of an issue today. Has anyone recently bought and installed LED's for the dashlights that fit properly and are brighter than 4 lumens? Thanks.
I suggest just buying one and try it out to see if it's bright enough for you.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
LED's seem to use PWM(pulse width modulation), probably what kwschumm is saying, for dimming. I've looked at switches that fit our dashes and they're complicated, expensive, and modding is required. In my experience, I always wanted my oem GT instrument lights on full blast. They're pretty dim to begin with, but I liked the soft yellowish glow they had. I'm modernized now. I looked on Superbrite's site and I found a 12V dimmer for LED's that's cheap($10) and simple to wire in, but it's not suitable for mounting visibly. Like I said, I always wanted my instrument lights on full blast and always flicked the Park lights on and Dimmer switch on all the way. I never changed the brightness to anything less than full blast. So, you could wire this dimmer switch in a hidden location under the dash and adjust it to your desired brightness........and then never touch it again.

·
Opeler
942 Posts
That one appears to have a collar around it that would prevent it from going into the base. Did you have any problem installing them? And your stock dimmer works ok? Thanks
. View attachment 436387
. View attachment 436387
The only housing I modified was the clock, so I could use the same bulb. They dim fine with original dimmer. The dimensions are listed on their site. I went to look at my extras and now remember that I’m now using something different. When I restored my dash a couple years ago I bought some of THESE off Amazon and are the same dimensions as the superbrightleds.com ones. I only needed five since I replaced my speedo with a GPS one from Speedhut and a matching tach. I also bought some of THESE off eBay. I ended up using the ones from eBay. The original dimmer works fine.

·
Registered
1971 Opel GT
80 Posts
I am thinking of converting my dash lights to LED and have read several threads about them, mostly not recent ones. With the repaid changes to LED's I hope there are now some that can be used in place of the BA9's. Most of the ones that meet the specs have a thicker diameter above the base that prevents them from going into the socket. I suppose you could cut the sockets shorter to fit. There is one I found on superbright LED's website that would fit. 1970 Opel Opel Instrument Panel Light Bulb | Super Bright LEDs But it is only 4 lumens, which I think is the brightness of the original incandescent bulbs. Many LED's are now dimmable so that should not be much of an issue today. Has anyone recently bought and installed LED's for the dashlights that fit properly and are brighter than 4 lumens? Thanks.

I am still looking for the wedge base bulb used in the indicator lights. They are mounted in a plastic socket. There may some differences from year to year? From earlier posts, it appears to be a 5mm blade/wedge base, maybe known as T1.75SW. The previous link no longer works, but I found this from Super Bright LED. Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks,

74 LED Bulb - 3 SMD LED - Miniature Wedge Base | Super Bright LEDs

Thanks.

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
15,468 Posts
Anyone have any other suggestions? Thanks,

Thanks.
Wire in the light sockets that fit the type of bulbs you prefer or can get easier. Goop makes a great automotive adhesive to attach hard to attach things like alternate gauges, weird light bulb sockets, cracked or broken stuff, upholstery, etc.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts