Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell haw to id my 69 gt motor. The tag on drivers door is gone ,if there was any info there.any info would a great help.I need to know if oil filter and air filter are the some napa told me the 69 could have i think a 1.1 ,1.5 ,or a 1.9. Any takers :confused:

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Jau69

I would expect your GT to have either a 1.9 litre engine or if your after rarity you could be lucky and have a 1.1, although the latter would be able to pull the 'skin off a rice pudding'. Sorry that English saying but basically means it's a slow car.

To tell the difference the 1.9 will be a much larger engine and will feature only a single carb, the rocker cover will also be Aluminum with OPEL embossed on it. The 1.1 engine will have a twin carb is smaller and has a black steel rocker cover.

To find out the displacement of the engine, excluding any possible rebuilds you should check out the engine number which is located on the drivers side of the engine block. The number will be stamped on a flat plate that is about 5cm's to the right of the dizzy. The block will should be stamped 1.9s followed by a series of numbers.

If it's ever been replaced it could be stamped, 1.9, 2.0, 2.2 or 2.4 and this will indicated the engine displacement in litres.

I hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Actually you can tell by the physical size of the motor, a 1.1 is about the size of a sewing machine, you can just about stand straddle of it in the engine compartment. Also a 1.1 uses two carbs. A 1.9 fills the whole area and uses one carb.

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
JOSH Love the American version more than the British one........I'm gonna try and make it a popular saying over here!

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
Question. Does the 69' 1.9 need to have enlarged vaves for unleaded gas? I can't remember when it came into play.:confused:

·
77 Posts
However, it could be stamped 1.9l which denotes low compression, which I believe with the change in engine timing. Allows the use of lead free juice. Far better, if 1.9s, to have your exhaust valve seats hardened and put in larger exhaust valves 2ltr or 2.2ltr for a bit more power on higher octain petrol.

GTs live for ever

1 - 8 of 8 Posts