Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What were the common Opels in the US in 1979? My local paper has an ad for one Free, I haven't had a chance to see if it might be useful, Like maybe a bigger engine than the 1.9, an Fuel injection system, and so on.
Thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
i thought there were no opels in USA in 79.
I just know the Kadett D started production in 1979, was real ugly and bad quality (FWD eeewwhh!) You are much better off without it.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
After 1975 the "Opels" in the U.S.A. were Isuzus!! With Opel insignia.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GTJIM,
I bet that is what it is, I was just thinking they might have a 2.2 or 2.4 engine and fuel injection that I could use on my GT.

·
240 Posts
I think the engines are totally different. Should be a SOHC cross flow type engine. You would be in worse shape than a german Opel for internal engine parts (just my guess).

Not sure what the bell housing bolt pattern is like. I think they could be had with a 5 speed. That may be worth looking into...

Garry

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
1.8L/2.0L/2.3L/2.6L motors used in Isuzu Troopers and Rodeos and Impulses plus Chevy Luv's and various other GM uses. Aisin-Warner 5 speeds with starter on opposite side to Opels. Exhaust on LH side so gets tangled in the LHD steering shaft. Some fitted with Bosch based fuel injection known as Isuzu Total Engine Control (ITEC).

·
Registered
141 Posts
Washout said:
What were the common Opels in the US in 1979? My local paper has an ad for one Free, I haven't had a chance to see if it might be useful, Like maybe a bigger engine than the 1.9, an Fuel injection system, and so on.
Thanks
About the only thing that crosses over from a late 70's Isuzu Opel and a Belgian built export Opel are the license plate screws.

·
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the information guys, You've saved me from dragging home another piece of junk that I will have to explain to the wife and then get rid of as soon as possible.

Gregg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts