Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here I am putting the last engine together and getting it in the car and I needed a few small parts.

1) Carb to manifold gasket
2) Gearshift pin
3) Clutch pilot tool

and probably a few others that I can't remember but the point is, what will interchange to keep an Opel GT going.

I have a couple solutions.

1) Gaskets for a 74 Vega worked well
2) Clevis rod pin from the drawer at Knechts (I think it was a 3/8)
3) Turns out you can use a 15mm deep well socket to line up the clutch. It slides in the clutch disk and fits in the center of the driveshaft perfect.

But, I was wondering what other parts would be a direct fit (or work good in a pinch). Specifically....

Clutch disk.
I know there is an S-10 conversion that can be done but what about a stock application? Just try to ask your local auto parts store for a clutch disk for an Opel GT. They always look at me funny and send me to another store.

Brake pads?
I know I used to swap (I think) Saab brake pads on the front but I'm not sure.

Shocks?

Shifter boot?

Voltage regulator?

Alternator?

Points?

Dist cap?

Basically, what can you walk in and ask for, knowing its in the current computer system, knowing you aren't asking for an Opel GT part but also knowing its going to work in your Opel GT?

Make sense?

OK, everyone chime in.

·
Super Moderator
5,770 Posts
Clutch disk. I know there is an S-10 conversion that can be done but what about a stock application? Just try to ask your local auto parts store for a clutch disk for an Opel GT. They always look at me funny and send me to another store.
Only the Opel friction disc fits the OEM pressure plate, but the 2.8 S-10 alignment tool works. By flat-facing the flywheel and re-drilling for the 2.8 S-10 pressure plate, then you'll both upgrade the clutch AND always be able to buy replacements easily

Brake pads?
I know I used to swap (I think) Saab brake pads on the front but I'm not sure.
Volvo, IIRC

Voltage regulator?
1968 Volvo 122, S : 4-1780 B18 Series
1968 Volvo 122 Wagon : 4-1780 B18 Series
1968 Volvo 122S : 4-1780 B18 Series
1968 Volvo 142, 144, 145 : 4-1780 B18 Series
1968 Volvo 142S : 4-1780 B18 Series
1968 Volvo 144S : 4-1780 B18 Series
1968 Volvo 145 Wagon : 4-1780 B18 Series
1968 Volvo P1800 Sports Car : 4-1780 B18 Series
Generator Regulator
[Reference to: BECK/ARNLEY, Part #: 177-0064 // 0.190.350.005]

Alternator?
Volvo works, but domestic GM alternators are an easy retro-fit

Points? Dist cap?
German Capri 2.0 liter, early 70's for points and cap. But get the Pertronix 1847V (also fits VW Beetle) to replace the points

HTH (and by the bye, most of these could have been found with a search :D )

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, to add to the voltage regulator, I know the VR for a 1974 Saab Sonnet, 96, or 99 will work. Back in the day I would order those because they were $10 less than ordering it for the Opel GT. Basically that is my point. Save a few bucks and order locally when possible.

Any idea if there are bearing, or piston interchanges?

Why won't a Vega or Chevette clutch work? Weren't the Vega transmissions and Opel transmissions the same (for the most part)

And finally, yes I could possibly find it all with a search (except for the clevis pin fix) but the point here is to lump all the interchanges in one thread. Hopefully this can be a first stop thread so people don't have to go through dozens of threads to get the answers they need. :yup:

·
Opel-ing since '74
1,138 Posts
Don't quote me, but the pilot bearing for the transmission can be substituted with the bearing for the Ford turbo 4 cylinder as used in the T-birds (I think).
I can look through my stuff if necessary.
Rick

·
No....its not a Buick....
1,537 Posts
You can use a Bosch alternator from a mid 80's VW..(golf I think) that has an internal regulator. Rated at 75 amps. And is pretty darn close to a direct bolt in.(need to cut the upper bracket) Other than that about a 20 min installation. I can get a part # if anyone is interested. Also the S-10 clutch kit I bought(Rock Auto) came with a pilot and throw out bearing,and the installation tool.
HTH
Joe

·
Senior Contributor
4,976 Posts
I don't know where I got it but I have an Excel Spreadsheet of a whole bunch of parts interchange information

Attachments

Reactions: lovinight

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
Many years ago, I heard that the rocker arm lock nuts from a Chevrolet 2.8 V6 would interchange - can anyone confirm?

Todd

·
Über Genius
8,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil Filter Part numbers

bosch 3330
STP S3614
Fram PH966B
Mobil M1-102
AC-Delco PF53
Valucraft V3614
Beck Arnley 041-8988

·
Super Moderator
5,770 Posts
Any idea if there are bearing, or piston interchanges?
Not directly, since they are Opel-specific, but a common piston substitute is the Chevy 265 0.030 over, machined slightly for deck height, and the cylinders over-bored to fit (gives a 2.0 litre displacement)

Why won't a Vega or Chevette clutch work? Weren't the Vega transmissions and Opel transmissions the same (for the most part)
Chevette's are totally different. It is probable that the Opel transmission input splines would fit the early Vega friction disc, but I don't believe that the pressure plate has the same bolt pattern as the Opel. And if you're going to re-drill for the Vega pressure plate, then you would use the Chevy S-10 2.8 clutch

Many years ago, I heard that the rocker arm lock nuts from a Chevrolet 2.8 V6 would interchange - can anyone confirm?
Todd
Yep

·
Opeler
85 Posts
I seem to remember that you could use Chevette shocks on a Gt. Can't remember if it was front or rear - will try to find my box of auto lit - haven't seen it since move- to confirm.
Roger

·
Super Moderator
8,156 Posts
IIRC some of the local racers would use the Chevette clutches because they were smaller and there was very little shifting in circle track and they were trying to keep the rotating mass down as much as possible. It was NOT a direct swap as I recall. The flywheel had to be re-drilled and probably machined as well.

Harold

·
Registered
11,747 Posts
IIRC some of the local racers would use the Chevette clutches because they were smaller and there was very little shifting in circle track and they were trying to keep the reciprocating mass down as much as possible.

Harold
I love it
Harold didn't you mean rotating mass?
And while we're at it where does the recip. and rotating separate on the rod?
Yep, I'm being a butt wipe.

HC you know we're buddies, I'll wash your feet anytime.

·
Not So Newb Anymore
342 Posts
Need oil pressure sending unit

Anyone know where I can get one besides OGTS? Any parts that can be used in the originals place? I thought about replacing the gauges and sending units but geez that gets pricey!

·
Not So Newb Anymore
342 Posts
Summit Racing is cheaper than that place. That's not 25% off at all LOL. I looked at their listing of VDO Gauges too. Still pricey and not a direct replacment. I gave up and just ordered a new sending unit. Seeing as how I have finally decided to part with my GT I don't want to spend 500 bux for a matching set of gauges. However if someone is interested in a really nice GT check out my ad. I had trouble adding text or pictures to it but oh well. It's also on Houston Craigslist.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts