Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently purchased a 1969 1.1l opel gt in a "project" condition and have had some difficulty's finding performance parts or aftermarket parts, i live in the uk and don't mind importing them from around the world. Im not much of a mechanic so i don't know what i can really do, ideally i would like more performance with out decreasing the mpg to much, does anyone have any suggestions please?

·
Just Some Dude in Jersey
14,606 Posts
If by "performance" you only mean "engine performance", then the best option would be to upgrade to a 1.9/2.0 engine, which would give you a 50% hp increase in stock form.

As far as the rest of the car, there are body kits and some upgrades of the various parts on the car. Start by perusing an Opel parts supplier's catalog and you will see stock parts followed by upgrade parts.

·
Registered
651 Posts
1.1 performance

Paul, Welcome to the 1.1 world. You have a rare automobile. I have a 69 1.1 GT also.
Be advised that an engine swap requires much more than an engine. A complete
drive train including front and rear suspensions, brakes, transmission, drive shaft,
radiator, etc, etc, etc is different ( bigger ). It's not a bolt in engine project.
I know because I considered doing this when I found my GT in early 1990s and
bought a rusty, wrecked 1.9 GT parts car for the 'upgrade'. But I decided to restore to original specs. I drove another 1.9 GT part time during that restoration.

My advice: Learn how to do a perfect tune up. Compression test, valve adjustment,
good spark plugs, wires, points, etc, etc. Rebuild carbs if required and balance them.
With 66 hp possible you need everything to work perfectly.
OGTS in U.S.has good info and parts, trust them. Vauxhall Viva had also had 1.1s, but not ( I think) the high compression engine. 1.2 pistons were available in past. I have a spare head, may explore 'big' valves someday. Everything is relative, ha, ha.
I drove from London to Edinburgh to Cardiff years ago and found lots of fun roads
off the Motorways . Enjoy your GT !

Attachments

·
Can Opeler
3,360 Posts
I don't know crap about the 1.1l engines, but I'm sure a fresh rebuild with stroke and bore wouldn't hurt. Lightening the flywheel also does wonderful things!!! Even if a lightened flywheel is all you did, you may not gain HP per say, but it will rev and respond a lot faster. Makes it feel fast haha! Has anyone tried making an fuel injection for the 1.1? Ported intake, better exhaust? What about a different rear diff ratio? This is not at all my expertise haha. Rally Bob?:)
You could also go the with the Lotus school of thought and add lightness.
1) get racing seats or Mazda Miata seats. I believe they are lighter.
2)remove sound deadener and maybe carpet.
3)lighter battery
4)remove washer bottle and foot pump.
5) install a lighter smaller fuel tank. I think the GT tank with fuel is anywhere between 100-200lbs
6) remove radio components
7) get a Mazda Miata donut to replace the heavy spare tire
8) remove the rear package tray and the wood plank above the fuel tank
9) if you are super serious remove the panels and windows replace the windows with lexan.
10)lighter sport wheels (find some lotus wobbly-webs haha!)
11)smaller tires
12) remove rear brakes. I've driven without my rear brakes for a good amount of time and stopping is barely affected, but you will have to use your transmission as a parking brake!
13)get rid of the heater and get an aluminum radiator.
14) there are probably a million things you could do. If you could remove 200lbs somehow I bet it would be the same as adding nearly 10HP plus the car would probably be even more fun to handle. It just depends what you want the car to look like.

·
Can Opeler
3,360 Posts
That looks like a humbucker to me. I like single coils better. Much more cool. Set the suckers out of phase or parallel (you can parallel and out of phase simultaneously!) on yer 66' with dual selectors with no passive and float Em' with respect to the ground wire, then let her rip with no whine! BAM! 8 different ways of current flow with 2 simple switches!

·
Resident Whippersnapper
1,220 Posts
I like the fatter tone you get from a humbucker myself. If you've got a four-wire humbucker, you can do a coil tap to get that single coil sound, plus wire in series, parallel, out of phase, etc.

·
Can Opeler
3,360 Posts
I like the fatter tone you get from a humbucker myself. If you've got a four-wire humbucker, you can do a coil tap to get that single coil sound, plus wire in series, parallel, out of phase, etc.
I have a wonderful set up on my jazz guitar. It's got an antique humbucker wired to tone and volume. No bells or whistles. But that pickup suspended touching nothing but a small bracket on the pickgaurd and neck is wonderful. But when it goes away from jazz and fingerstyle, I was raised on single coils haha:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts