Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i am stuck i want very badly to build an opel spray motor and try to make 250 300 hp
or i can build a sqeezer for alot cheaper
if i run nitrous i need rods pistons and i should strenghten my crank
if want i high compression motor i have to just get pistons
i was already planning on having the head all done up with valves and some porting
i just would like to know what a good setup for a 12:1 compression motor would be, strictly race with a descent 7000 rpm redline i plan on drag racing mostly as well

the one big reason i wanted nitrous was because i come make good power just with head and compression mods but i have apretty go button for the track but it makes everything cost so i need help

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Help is at hand

1) STOP BREATHING THE NITROUS

2) Repeat after me: 'I'm Josh and I am am Opelholic!"

3) Start some careful planning:
(a)Nitrous will give you a quick fix of speed and cost lots of money
(b)Super charger will not run out of nitrous and actually makes the car more drivable with smooth transition through the rev range and cost lots of money

ie: they are nearly the same - both need lots of money;)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Winning isn't speed, it's being the best in your class.

If racing is in your blood, get the rule book first.

Get the idea.

But I love speed too. Winning means money, money covers some of the cost, then you can go faster. You don't want to be in an expensive class to race and not winning enough. Expect breakage and maintainance and tires and time. The more high tech, the more of all the above. A small displacement high tech engine costs more than brute displacement. For 250-300 hp a V6 conversion is probably the easiest, as the entire drivetrain needs replacing. Plus, you'll need a cage and lots of reinforcing.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Either way, I think the 60 degree V6 conversion is the cheapest way to go. That or turbocharge a newer engine, like 2.2L or 2.4L, which have fewer weaknesses and more performance parts available than the 1.9L. Or even supercharge a V6 for true street HP. You'll still need a new tranny, axle and driveshaft... And something to make you stop.

·
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well that being said is easier but wheres the fun
if i spend as much money as i would building and installing the v6 on the four cylinder then i could your ass in a secong i just believe these engine have something hidden in them some greatest and i just think that a little laughing gas can get them through it
supercharging or turbocharging requires about the same mods for extended use as nitrous and you have pretty much the same benefits and that is to overcome the downfall in the head design
the combustion chamber are proven reliable but its hard to get the air and fuel in there
the 1.9 block is probably the strongest because to the size of the cylinder walls head gaskets and studs can be obtained a larger head does make a difference and a good strengthened forged crank can take the abuse
now you say putting the power to the pavement is the prob and i have the tranny issue and rear end solved and with sme suspension tweaking and sticky tires the car will hook
i figure if i build the heart and soul of a race motor into it and wake it up with soem nitrous on the track it will be a good car

1 - 7 of 7 Posts