Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Thankfully ahead of schedule my engine upgrade is nearing completion and I'm hoping to put the motor back in the engine bay next Sunday.

On put together a final shopping list I've totally forgotten that I need a clutch kit as I binned the old one when I took the motor out of the car.

The current flywheel has a face diameter of 210mm and the gearbox is a Getrag 240 (5 speed) so I need your help to tell me what diameter of clutch plate I should be buying, can I get away with one of 203mm diameter??

Any advice gratefully recieved.

·
Super Moderator
9,751 Posts
Mark, I don't know the EXACT size, but, I just used a stock Opel clutch in my 5-spd. Unless you have the S-10 set up, I have no clue :confused:

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeh, the problem is that I think there are different size 5speed clutchs as the 2.2 motor had a bigger clutch plate.

The 203mm one's I'm seeing are for what I believe is the 4speed, fitted between 74-82 and I have no idea if this will do the trick.

As for the S10 set up, I've read about it, but that thing doesn't exsist on this side of the pond!

This could turn out to be my last major stumbling block, but hey that's what you get if you go for a fancy engine upgrade.......I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that it all comes together otherwise it could be the most expensive mistook I'll have ever made.

·
583 Posts
Clutch Diameter

Hi!,

That 203mm clutch is the standard 1.9L face on the flywheel. The 2.0L is 215mm and the 2.2/2.4L is 230mm I believe. The 2.2L engine will definitely chew up a smaller diameter disc. I would go with the full size 2.2L disc and clutch cover (pressure plate). That rotating assembly will have more torque to "hook up" into the gearbox. I'd want as much surface area to spread that over as possible.

Cheers,

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info Dave.

The only question now is based on the fact that my flywheel has a face diameter of 210mm and surely I won't gain anything by having a clutch with a plate greater than 210, which means that I'm limited to the 203mm clutch?

What do you reckon?

·
Super Moderator
5,927 Posts
I reckon that you either need to get the flywheel machined to fit the bigger Opel disc and pressure plate (and I am not familiar with the 2.0/2.2/2.4 clutches; are they recessed the same as the 1.9?), or you need a matching flywheel. The S-10 setup requires that the flywheel be ground flat (no step between the disc and pressure plate surfaces). HTH

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Bigger IS Better!

Score a 2.2/2.4 flywheelif you can and go for the 230mm clutch. Otherwise use the 215mm on your existing flywheel - the tiny overhang will be better than using the smaller clutch!

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
mike why not go for a 4 paddle race clutch
you can get them for the manta 1.9 or2.0 so they would fit and the cinterd pads would handle the power no problem

·
Registered
84 Posts
baz said:
mike why not go for a 4 paddle race clutch
you can get them for the manta 1.9 or2.0 so they would fit and the cinterd pads would handle the power no problem
Baz: Can you tell me a little more about this "4paddle race clutch"? Much appreciated. :)

DirtTrackManta

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
eBay.UK

There are a pair of Manta "400" paddle clutches on eBay.UK at the moment #4551133237 - sintered metal friction material and non-damped centres.
These would bite like a Bull Terrier - might even be a bit hard on gearboxes and diffs!!

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ok, I'll be honest I know very little about transmissions... I have replaced a few clutches...

I am running the stock transmission and rear end (welded up), Soon I'll have RallyBobs lightened flywheel too. Are these clutches what I need? They close in four days...

It is not like I will be doing a bunch of shifting out there... pretty much 1st to get started and then in to 2nd and keep it there for the duration, I think. Would there be any performance gains or would this clutch just last longer? Scary to think the clutch would last longer but it might eat my tranny or diff???

Your advice greatly appreciated.

DirtTrackManta

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
they would be a bear for road use (very on / off action )but for the track they would be great , no slip and no burn just lift the pedal and go

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
DTM,
Just put that pic up for you to see what was being talked about - if you do decide to use something like that then they should be locally available rather than paying heaps of GBPs to get the ones on eBay.UK
If you are experiencing clutch slip at the moment then the sintered metal "paddle" clutch will lock up like superglue - they will also stand up to much higher revs than a standard sprung centre clutch.

·
boomerang opeler
5,636 Posts
they are very light too ,all the better when racing

·
Opeler
30 Posts
hi mark , glad to here its almost back on the road . is the getrag from the 1800 manta ? i was told the calibra clutch fits the spline , but not sure of the size

·
'NO,......O P E L..G T!'
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
rlcleeds said:
hi mark , glad to here its almost back on the road . is the getrag from the 1800 manta ? i was told the calibra clutch fits the spline , but not sure of the size
Hi Richard, the box is from the GT/E and not the 1.8.......so much for being close to finishing. I had the engine fully made up and then bench tested only for oil to piddle out of the water ways. The head went in the bin!!!!!!!

Thankfully I have a spare 2.2 head and that's now gone off to be modified....more expense, who ever said engine building was cheap!!!!

As for the clutch I've now picked up a lightened flywheel and 6 bolt irmscher clutch, so that's that problem solved.

3 weeks until Le Mans, fingers crossed she's ready on time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts