Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone with Wheel Spacers!

I bought myself a set of Rims, but they are made for a front wheel drive, so despite all the negative comments I've heard, I need them. I am very unsure on the Diameter and Width of the spacer I need. The rims are 15x7 Inches and are going to be used on 1973 Opel GT with the Side Flares and California Style Front Spoiler. If someone could PLEASE help me out with the exact sizes for the front and back rims.

·
392 Posts
Re: For anyone with Wheel Spacers!

I have front wheel drive rims on all four corners of my 70 GT with 1 inch spacers all around. I am using 15X6.5 rims and they fit perfect under my wheel wells with no rubbing. My next thought with the rear is to replace the stock rear with one out of an Isuzu with disk brakes. I understand that rear end is an inch wider and I might get away with no spacers on the rear. Just a thought and if any one has done this I would like to hear about it.
Mike

70 GT
73 GT
72 Manta Rallye

·
792 Posts

the width of the spacer is going to be determined by the offset of the rim. If you have a typical FWD rim the offset is probably +40. To get it back into the proper backspace for a RWD car you would need at least a 25mm or 1" spacer.

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

If I can remember correct, I think it has a 42mm Offset. For the front wheel drive vehicle. 15x7 all around. Should I go with a 1" or maybe like an 1/8 or a 1/4 more just to be safe?

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts

I just picked up my wheel spacers today, I ordered 1.25 inch just to be sure. they cost me 234.0 after tax. My rims are 16x7.5 so I figured I needed the extra .25 inches. I will let you know how they fit tomorrow.

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks Flipper. Once you have them mounted and see how they fit, find out if you think I should go with a 1 Inch or a 1.25 Inch. My rims are quite a bit smaller, so maybe I dont need that extra 1/4 inch..? I want to keep my rims/tires tucked into the wheel well as much as I can

·
opel assimilated
145 Posts
for my car, the 1.25s worked perfectly. on your car with a thinner wheel I would suggest a 1inch spacer. maybe a .75 on the front as well. I put a 1 inch on the front of mine and I would not want to go any wider.

·
1,875 Posts
If you go less than 1.25 inches you may need to cut or replace the existing lugs with shorter lugs, so they don't protrude out of the spacer.

·
392 Posts
I was going to have to trim my existing lugs but the wheels I bought had eight holes, 4 for 4X100 size and 4 for the larger size. My studs fit right into the extra holes so there was no trimming. I was lucky that I liked the style of wheel.
Mike
70 GT
73 GT
73 Manta
68 right hand drive Mini

·
1000 Post Club
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yah, thats what mine have got too! Its got the holes for the 4x100 and its also got the other holes for the different offset. So do you guys just think I should go for 1" all around with a 42mm offset? 15x7 wheels in the front and back

1 - 10 of 10 Posts