Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my broken hose/ overheated engine/ fire in engine bay adventure the time has come to replace the damaged head. As the whole motor is due for replacement soon, I'm going to save a few bucks and just swap with another head I had sitting on the shelf for now. The head is in great shape, but it is dirty from sitting around.

The issue is what should I use to get the dust/ lint/ gunk off the head before I install it? Carb cleaner? Brake cleaner? Gas? WD-40? Acetone? I'm at a loss....

·
451 Posts
I use WD-40 and a wire brush to agitate the dirt and work the WD-40 (solvent) into the grease.

I then use a cleaner that will emulsify the dirt/grease/WD-40 and wash it away with a pressure washer. Simply Green actually works very well for this (and is non-toxic) or Castrol Superclean Heavy Duty Degreaser works as well (definitely NOT non-toxic)

Nathan Acree
New Mexico

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
fire extinguisher

Since reading your fire story..I painted a fire extinguisher black to match my carpet and I keep it behind me on the floor.It can be secured with sticky backed velcrow strip on the floor and a piece on the unit.

If I don't need it ..I will able to help someone .

PS:How about using "motorflush" using a brush..it seems to work well in an oil change..seems like cutting thru varnish is what it is made for.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mission acomplished!

So I ended-up using WD-40 to clean the head, and I drained and added a quart of ATF to the motor oil. I'll change the oil after the first good run at temp, but in the mean time the detergents in the ATF will be flushing the [email protected] out of the inside of the motor. (It's one of my dad's old tricks for Penzoil motors, they always have a ton of gunk inside the motor.)

Since the motor eventually going in probably won't be a CIH Opel motor, I used this opportunity to exparament with intake and carbs a bit. I installed an odd 1 barrel 1.5 intake with a single 42mm (approx) 1 barrel Holley carb. The motor fired right off and seems to run pretty strong, and the glass fuel bowl is darn cool. I wish I could get my digital camera working! After I run a couple of tanks of gas through to see how it runs long term, I'm going to drop a "sprint" intake manifold on with a pair of Stromberg carbs! Nothing works quite like "old school" technology!

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
yes

that if where i keep my fire extigisher.always have it handy

·
boomerang opeler
5,648 Posts
69OpelKadett said:
is that what really goes in that lil latch between the seat ? from the pic ?
took me an age to work out that those slots and flats are for the seat belts to store in (chorme in slot buckel on flat) :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts