Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, been driving my GT after putting a new 2.0 i built in it, clutch, tires, paint, things of the sort. its not broken in yet, 150 miles on it, but it smokes fairly decent when you first start it up, then it clears away. it's burning oil upon start up somehow, and i'm thinking its the valve guides. i did nothing to this head except new valve seals and reground the valves. have new bearings int he bottom end, but still origional cam and cam bearings, and when its good and warm, i start dropping oil pressure, not dangerousely low, 1 bar at idle of 900 after running for about half hour down the road, so its plenty warm. between these two problems, i think its time to do something about the head. the car is practically new, no sense in this. what i'm asking is: what should i do? spend the money and rebuild the head with new guides, valves, cam, bearings, lifters, and seats for about 700 in parts and machine work....OR should i take a chance on the 350 dollar OGTS 2.0 head, its used, tried calling them tonight but they're closed and i couldnt get any more info on it until monday. anybody have any info on this used 2.0 head? info and opinions are welcomed.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS, my budget to fix this head is about 400-500 bucks.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
jared, as to the head, I'd take the head in to a shop and have it rebuilt. It can't cost more than $200 bucks. If it has new seals on it, they are reusable. 150 miles aign't much. The engine will naturally smoke until the rings seat themselves. Normal breakin is about 500 miles. Don't exceed 50 mph and vary your speed (if your driving) or vary the rpms (if your not driving). That's the way I was taught in the 60's by my dad who was a master mech back in Jersey. Others may have a different routine, but no engine stress until it's worn in. My 2 c's.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
smokes too bad for rings, but i'll just wait until i hit 500 mile mark anyway and then post again. i dont see how you can rebuild a head for under 250, considering cam, bearings, and lifters cost about that, what about guides and seats/head gasket? i can grind valves myself, so thats a small saver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.