Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a GT. It has been my dream car since they came out in the 70's. But that was 30 years ago so I need some help in what to look (out) for in one of these babies.

Do they have rust problems? What areas (especially hidden ones) should I look for?

What mechanical things historically go wrong?

What parts are hard to come by?

Are there any really expensive or time consuming problems that I should steer clear from? ex: A needed water-pump is no big deal but If I can't find the part or if it requires removal of half the engine to get to it then....

What conversions would you suggest I do or stay away from? ex: Electronic ignitions, electric fans, brakes. etc.

Anything else?

I really appreciate your feedback.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
start with "search"

The first place to look is probably the search function of this forum on the main page. Look for "comon problems" or the like and you're sure to get the answers members of this forum have given to this question when others have asked it before.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
its a unibody, be sure to check for any rust at all. most parts are not hard to get altho they can be expensive at times. body parts can be a pain to get a hold of. most interior can just be custom fabricated, but it seems that everybody has pretty nice interior in their cars, my all origional 71GT included. my 70GT with 128K even has halfway decent interior minus the dashpad is cracked.

Upgrades:
Weber carb is a must
electronic ignition and electric fan seem to be a favorite.
people love the swaybars/fat rubber
5 speed conversion is probably nice, but seems to get expensive.

Common Problems:
headlights normally need re-wiring (i've gotten lucky and haven't had to do this with either GT of mine)
alot of grounds go bad after time and they are simple fixes.
brake hoses get internal ruptures and wont allow fluid to pass through, or allow it through but wont release the pressure.

maybe its just me but i've had bad luck with Master Cylinders, but i think rebuild kits are cheap.

most of the upgrades and common problem fixes are cheap and easy to do, none of them serious enough to steer away from these cars.....atleast in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
9,765 Posts
Chappies;
I see you're in Cleveland. I'm assuming that's OH. Is a good bet that if you find one in your area, it's full of rust. You may have to go out of state to track down a least one without rust. But, one thing other than rust, is to make sure that the nose of the GT hasn't been hit. Most repairs done to this area, usually never get back 100% straight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.
I've been reading the posts per your suggestion. Good stuff in there. Sounds like I don't want headlight rollover issues as they seem to be a bear to fix.

Frog-vette, I also appreciate your input. Is that Weber replacement commonly available? How much $ ? Also, who makes the best/most compatible Electronic Ignition changeover? Where do I get one?

If I decided to completely rebuild the 1.9 motor (to specs, nothing crazy) just to have it fresh, who could do it? Are all the internal parts available somewhere? What would this run me?

And does the engine come out the top like most cars?
I have heard you take them out through the bottom like a VW Beetle. Is that really true? seems odd.

·
Senior Contributor
730 Posts
The easiest way is a bottom drop. As for engine parts, OGTS has them but they are above what you may be use too. In the larger scheme of things, it may be better to buy a a decent to great body with a bad engine and buy a overhauled/remanufactured long block. Unless you get lucky and can buy a nice, low mileage engine. You can check out Jim's car in the adds at the bottom and see what ya think. Just depends on how much you want to work before you drive.
My 2c's :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.