Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
There are two unique tools that are necessary to disassemble the Opel engines. I have both that I purchased many years ago. Mine are K - D #2305 and #2306, they should be available at any auto parts store. BTW these are not TORX bits, they are unique in that regard, although they look close to TORX. HTH

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
cam?

Part # 2304=8mm tool for cam bolts & VW axle shafts
Part # 2305=10mm tool for brake rotors
Part # 2306=12mm for head bolts

NAPA should have all of them, I just bought a new 2305 last weekend and they had 3 on hand at my local NAPA. To get the most life out of them and reduce the risk of stripping out a bolt make absolutely sure the head of the bolt is thoroughly cleaned-out and the tool is fully seated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the great help. I hope to have this engine totaly fresh by spring to run it in stock class at Brainerd. The engine seems to be my easy rebuild come spring a puting the whole thing together with the solex carb is going to be the tough part. I have to run with solex carb and have not heard much good about them so if anyone has had good luck please drop me a line. Thanks again for the help. I hope to be able to do good for all the opel gts and show the big boys us little guys are nothing to laugh at. Barb

·
Administrator
10,293 Posts
or from Lisle Tools.
Available at: http://www.toolsource.com and search for 60750

Lisle No. 60750 Triple Square (12 point) bits to fit 6, 8,10 and 12mm sizes; all on 1/2" hex drives. Fits some head bolts, retaining bolts, disc brake calipers and other applications.

60750 Triple Square Wrench Set, 6, 8, 10, 12mm. Skin-packed. Shipping wt. 9 oz. Dealer Price $10.95

Get the set. You will also need one to remove the cam gear.

·
OPEL-LESS!!!
2,116 Posts
i bet every member here thinks i'm stupid or has something bad to say about this, but a 3/8's 6 point allen. we had one that was cut and put it in a 3/8 6 point socket and if you get the headbolts clean enough you can tap them in with the slightest effort and that does the trick too. i tore the motor down for my car, put it back together and tore it back down doing it this way everytime, same headbolts.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Jared,

Nope, nothing stupid about that. It took me YEARS (back in the '70's) to acquire a full set of triple square drives, so I have used the Allen wrench trick myself. But they don't give as good a "grip" as the proper socket drive.

The first time I removed my intake manifold, I couldn't remove the triple square bolts that attached the manifolds together even with the proper drive, as the bolts were seized, so I drilled the heads off, separated the manifolds, and removed the remaining shafts with vice grips. Then I replaced them with socket head (Allen head) cap bolts, that are FAR easier to use than the stupid triple square bolts.

That said, I don't believe that head bolts are available for the CIH Opel in other head configurations.

·
587 Posts
..."That said, I don't believe that head bolts are available for the CIH Opel in other head configurations."....

Actually Keith, they are available in 10 mm Allen Head bolts too.
During my recent rebuild I wanted new head bolts. OGTS told me he only had 5 of the original 12 point style & 5 of the newer CIH style 10mm Allen Head style. Gil said if I didn't mind changing sockets to put the head back on, he would give me a discount for the set. So I now have 5 of each style on my new engine. :)

Tom C

·
Super Moderator
14,177 Posts
Beware! The later 2.2 and 2.4 CIH head bolts are grade 8.8, not 10.9 like the 1.9's have. That said, they are stretch bolts...use 'em once, then throw them away. I had a head gasket fail on a 2.4 because I used those newer bolts, won't make that mistake again.

Bob

·
587 Posts
Thanks for the important info Bob

I did notice the different grade markings & was curious as to why they were lower than the original bolts. OGTS didn't inform me of this or I may have waited for a complete set of the originals. Well, if that head comes off, I'll be sure to install the older style head bolts again. I do like the 10mm Allen head design better though.

Tom C

1 - 11 of 11 Posts