Opel GT Forum banner

What U.S. engines will fit an Opel GT?

29K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Thord 
#1 ·
Wondering what engines are available in the United States to fit the Opel GT. I See that the family 2 motors are mostly overseas. Want to know what i can get from junk yard and rebuild. Interested mostly in 4 cylinder motors. Maybe a 6 cylinder would be good also, I just don't t know much about what will fit. Thank you ..Interested in building a hot rod with my son, something to give him when I'm older. Have always loved the Opel Gt`s, had one years back but was too young and broke to build it. So give me your imput, .. .. ..

#3 ·
Just to add to Keith's post, the GT is a very small car, often smaller than you think because the proportions tend to hide it, and the old Opel CIH engine is actually a fairly compact engine and because it's a short stroke engine it's not as tall as many more modern engines, so while it may appear to be some space in the engine bay for other engines you'll find that many engines will require some modifications of the engine bay to actually fit

The more obvious alternative is the 2.4 version of the engine already in there, an extra 500cc of volume and an honest 125 hp in stock form, that's about 50 hp more than the stock low comp 1.9 you find in most GTs. Combine that with a 5 speed conversion and you'll have a pretty quick car that will also be very relaxed at highway speeds

The downside to the old Opel engine is that if you'll want more than 150 hp or so out of them they tend to be fairly expensive to modify, in which case you're probably better off starting with some Japanese based turbo engine

Personally I would have gone with a stock or near stock 2.4 and a 5 speed, the GT weighs next to nothing and it will be quicker than you might think

#4 ·
l like the idea of the 2.4.

is there a 2.4 engine that I can get or do I have to modify the 1.9 that I have with the car? I've seen some pictures of the family two motors that are available and made by Opel. no wonder if any of those are around in the United States that I can get and put in. I like the idea of having a matched motor. on Opel GT source there is a picture of a 2.4 Chi, I absolutely love the idea of the original engine or engine type putting out more more horsepower. it would be a shame to stuff a Ford or Chevy motor in there.

#6 ·
The 2.4 was never sold new in the US so you will need to source it from a place like OGTS or something

Yes it will probably cost a bit more than a modern Ecotec or whatever engine from the junkyard but it has the exact same external measurements as your 1.9 so wile it may still take a bit of fiddling to get the FI to work if you go that route or get the carb(s) set up properly but you will save yourself some work in the beginning of the project and you won't have cut up anything if you run out of steam so if you abandon the project it will still be worth something to the next person

A 2.4 engine makes it more desirable, not all engine swaps do

#7 ·
Since I am running one, I know for a fact that a 2.0 Zetec from a Ford Focus will fit without hacking the body. However your fabrication skills need to be good. Since this engine is from a front wheel drive car you will have a lot to change.

Attachments

#10 ·
The Opel 1.9 to 2.4 CIH engine family were stoutly built engines with a great history of reliability. Having driven a 2.0 engine and using that as a baseline against my tired, low compression 1973 1.9 motor, the difference was substantial.

I can't imagine what a 2.2 or a 2.4 liter, lightly modified with carbs, exhaust, etc, will do to the flyweight GT.....well, actually, I do, courtesy of fellow Opeler PJ Romano and his
2.5 liter, twin Weber DCOE wolf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZA02t2Uvhw

And his most excellent thread on how he did it:http://www.opelgt.com/forums/member-projects/51082-2-5-street-motor.html

Mike

#16 ·
My turn to bump this thread , your transmission combo to fit VW older style water cooled engine really intrigues me @Justion337.

Care to elaborate a bit , what years and configurations those part fits together

That 4WD motorsport bellhousing is an aftermarket item or I’m missing something ?

Thanks in advance , Jordan