Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
Youngest Opel Record Holder!
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I thought I would ask the above question. I really want to get an ultrasonic cleaner To clean carburetors and to clean other pieces. It looks like amazon has the best deals compared to eBay. I found a 2L one for $41 and a 3L one for $69. The 2L one would barely fit a weber or solex carb that is taken apart in it From the dimension. But the 3L one will fit possibly 2 carburetors. Does anyone have a ultrasonic cleaner that they use? What size is it? I am probably going to order the 3L one pretty soon but I just wanted to know what you guys use.

3L:

2L:

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sam- I got a InvisiClean Professional Ultrasonic Cleaner Machine .8Liter from Amazon. It works great for small items, but I would recommend the 3Liter model.
Yea the .8L wouldn’t fit a carbureto.

What my eventual goal is to get these solex and weber carbs and make them look very clean and rebuild them and sell them. I think that would be pretty fun and make some money while doing it. I have 8 carburetors right now just laying around 2 of them will be used but the other 6 I have no reason to use.

1,842 Posts
This is what you may be trying to clean out.
You need to buy a 1 gal. can of carburetor cleaner to start with and soak carb.
Gas Audio equipment Machine tool Camera lens Wood

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what you may be trying to clean out.
You need to buy a 1 gal. can of carburetor cleaner to start with and soak carb. View attachment 449999
Yea there is one weber 32/36 that I have and had brown sand in it. I cleaned it the best I could but I want to make the outside look as nice as the inside. The ultrasonic cleaner should do that.

· Registered
1,407 Posts
On the carburetor cleaner subject before the ultrasonic cleaner. There isn’t anything available in California that’s effective, Berryman’s is what used to work years ago, it doesn’t any more. They had to alter their cleaning solution for environmental protection. I have not found any good carburetor safe alternative cleaners that aren’t too aggressive and don’t eat away at the metal surface yet, if there’s one out there it’s probably banned here in California.

I like the ultrasonic approach. I’ve never tried it but it sounds great. Be sure to check for the “wobble” where especially the primary throttle shaft goes through the carburetor body on the linkage side. If there’s a lot of play don’t bother to rebuild it. Hopefully you have some low mileage Weber carbs and they won’t have that trouble spot. The better quality Weber side draft carburetors use good throttle shaft bearings. Not the nylon bushings found on our cheaper down drafts. The first thing I do when I buy a new 32/36 or 38/38 is throw away cheap nylon throttle shaft sleeve on the linkage side & install a better bearing. It protects the carburetor body from the side loading that comes from the linkage and causes that to happen.

I’m excited to see your results with the ultrasonic cleaner. Looking forward to your documentation. It’s something I will try if it works out well for you. It looks like you’ll have some other good Opel parts to clean up as well 🙂

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the carburetor cleaner subject before the ultrasonic cleaner. There isn’t anything available in California that’s effective, Berryman’s is what used to work years ago, it doesn’t any more. They had to alter their cleaning solution for environmental protection. I have not found any good carburetor safe alternative cleaners that aren’t too aggressive and don’t eat away at the metal surface yet, if there’s one out there it’s probably banned here in California.

I like the ultrasonic approach. I’ve never tried it but it sounds great. Be sure to check for the “wobble” where especially the primary throttle shaft goes through the carburetor body on the linkage side. If there’s a lot of play don’t bother to rebuild it. Hopefully you have some low mileage Weber carbs and they won’t have that trouble spot. The better quality Weber side draft carburetors use good throttle shaft bearings. Not the nylon bushings found on our cheaper down drafts. The first thing I do when I buy a new 32/36 or 38/38 is throw away cheap nylon throttle shaft sleeve on the linkage side & install a better bearing. It protects the carburetor body from the side loading that comes from the linkage and causes that to happen.

I’m excited to see your results with the ultrasonic cleaner. Looking forward to your documentation. It’s something I will try if it works out well for you. It looks like you’ll have some other good Opel parts to clean up as well 🙂
That is too bad that you can’t get any good carb cleaner in california. I have one weber that I think has around 10,000 miles on it. I have no idea about the other solex and holley and webers. I will document it and probably make a video on it when I get the cleaner!

· Registered
788 Posts
Ok guys I thought I would ask the above question. I really want to get an ultrasonic cleaner To clean carburetors and to clean other pieces. It looks like amazon has the best deals compared to eBay. I found a 2L one for $41 and a 3L one for $69. The 2L one would barely fit a weber or solex carb that is taken apart in it From the dimension. But the 3L one will fit possibly 2 carburetors. Does anyone have a ultrasonic cleaner that they use? What size is it? I am probably going to order the 3L one pretty soon but I just wanted to know what you guys use.

3L:

2L:
Alright knuckle head...Just go to any autoparts store and buy a gallon can of "DIP" and go to the dollar store and get some "firm" tooth brushes. Money saved, Problem Solved. Elbow grease boy....elbow grease !!

· Registered
788 Posts

3L:

2L:
Your best rust removal for steel parts will be electrolysis. Cheap, effective, and safe (when done outdoors). Even body panels and hoods can be done with just 2 x 6 frame and plastic sheeting. Will even remove some paint. (do NOT do this to your carb !!) Also do not put the venturis into any type of acidic solvent, they will go by-by.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright knuckle head...Just go to any autoparts store and buy a gallon can of "DIP" and go to the dollar store and get some "firm" tooth brushes. Money saved, Problem Solved. Elbow grease boy....elbow grease !!
Yea, but this will clean it a lot better than scrubbing it. I can’t get in all the nooks and crannies like this thing can.

· Registered
2,837 Posts
I really miss the carb cleaners of the 60s. MEK based IIRC, which you can still buy from chemical outlets. Nasty stuff though. Don’t breathe it, burns when touching it, melts nitrile gloves, extremely flammable, but boy it works. Nothing cleans parts like that.

· Registered
788 Posts
Yea, but this will clean it a lot better than scrubbing it. I can’t get in all the nooks and crannies like this thing can.
Unfortunately, the VERY FIRST time you use the modern gas in the refurbished carb, you will have the salt deposits right back in there unless it is a daily driver. Fuel evaporates and leaves water and minerals behind. Water evaporates and leaves additional minerals behind. Gas is pure crapola today. Not like the really stinky stuff we had back when we were your age. If you can find it (and afford it) use "recreational" or "racing" fuel. It goes by many names now. The fancier the name the higher the price, but it is just good ole fashion "real" gasoline. You will know when you get the real stuff because it really does stink.

Dip dissolves the deposits, the scrubbin just makes it pretty. Invest in a set of jet files. You will need them to verify the openings on all the jets.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well guys my parent’s got me an ultrasonic for Christmas! It is a 3.2L and a weber carb fits perfect taken all apart in it. I still need to do some research and see what liquid I should get for the solvent. I will make a video later off it.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok guys I have been doing some testing with rusty bolts! It works fantastic so far! Pictures and maybe a video coming soon!!!

Definitely one of my favorite tools and presents so far.:love:

· Super Moderator
8,421 Posts
Well guys my parent’s got me an ultrasonic for Christmas! I still need to do some research and see what liquid I should get for the solvent.
I found one on Amazon from England I believe that worked well. Unfortunately it was no longer available when I went back for more. Read the descriptions carefully before buying.

Harold

· Registered
2,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok guys here are the pictures! So I did it for 10 minutes at a time and I did 3 rounds. I didn't change the temp a whole lot. I would have to say it worked pretty good! The brake bleeder screw didn't change a whole lot since it was heavily rusted. The bolt however really cleaned up nicely. So what I ended up doing was filling the cleaner with water and then I got a bag and put some gas in it. Then I put the bolts in the bag and put the bag in the water. The waves can go through stuff just fine. I got the idea from youtube to use this idea so I didn't have to waste a bunch of gas.

The Gopro doesn't take the best close up pictures so sorry for the quality. In the video you can really see the difference.

Before:
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Electrical wiring

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Finger Automotive tire Gas

After:
Wood Auto part Household hardware Nut Metal
Insect Arthropod Terrestrial animal Parasite Eyelash

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electrician Bumper

Household hardware Wood Gas Screw Fastener

Wood Natural material Gas Tool Flooring

Wood Tool Flooring Chemical compound Cosmetics

1 - 20 of 35 Posts