Opel GT Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent purchase of my 1st GT I've been looking for parts and seeking advice on this site. There was a recent discussion dealing with parts suppliers and a bit of "trashing" on a couple. Well here's my dilemma. One of the "reputable" suppliers had and still has several items on ebay. Anyway, I won an auction only to find out the seller didn't want to accept my winning bid (there was no reserve) and wanted an extra $90.00. Now the question, should I get an "attitude" or just swallow hard and rely on this individuals past reputation? This group has offered great advice in the past and the last thing I want to do is "stir" the pot creating a bunch of ill feelings towards the seeminly few parts providers.

respect to all,

Trapper

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
This is exactly the sort of thing that has been talked about!
The auction has set the price - sob stories about "forgetting" to set a reserve or whatever just DO NOT cut any ice. Insist the seller supplies at the auction price and report the situation to eBay if you have any trouble gettting your item.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Trapper,

I agree with GTJIM!! Do not pay the extra $90.00. Post the ebay item here so we can see what the item is so we know not to buy from this seller also!!

This is the type of stuff that gives the Opel community a blackeye and makes me MAD!! :mad:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Trapper,
I agree with all of the above. I have purchased 108 items on Ebay and of those probably 100 were Opel related. I would never do business again with someone who didn't post a reserve price and then tried to get more money out of me because my winning bid was to low. That is the chance the seller takes when using the auction method to sell his products. My advice: report him to Ebay and to this forum (tho I am sure we who use Ebay already know who it is) so others aren't taken advantage of out of ignorance.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Trapper,
You are never stirring the pot when you report an unethical seller, no matter what his past reputation is, or was, with our group. A seller who tries to scam more money out of a buyer is not worthy of being supported by this group.
I have had great success buying from Gil at OpelGTSource as have most everyone on this site. Never a problem with service or quality from Gil. His pricing at times may seem high but he is selling a product that in most cases is either very hard to get, or not made anymore. You, and the rest of us, have to pay for loving a car that is no longer made.
I have also bought from Todd at Opels Unlimited. Todd is extremely hard to get ahold of (except for late at night), takes forever to get a quote, and then you wait for him to ship it. His parts are normally as he says, used but serviceable. It us just a pain in the ass having to wait forever for service. Having said that, he has never attempted to rip me off or cheat me in any way.
Regarding your Ebay seller, I have only asked for quotes from him and have found his pricing to be on the extreme high side for what I was looking for and knowing what Gil or Ebay had the item for. His selling methods have been questioned on this site, and ClassicOpels site, numerous times in the past. What he did to you after your winning bid really doesn't surprise me. Maybe its time the group takes a stand and sends him a "group email" that his methods won't be tolerated or supported by us, his customers. Maybe with Gary's permission we could start a petition that the group members could "sign" and then forward to the seller.
No matter what Trapper, don't feel bad about rerporting a dishonest seller. You are helping us all when reporting that type of behavior.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Bosco and others,
The seller is Jim at USA Opels. Do a site search on him for further opinions from group members.

Forgot to mention in my previous post that Charles, of OpelManta.com is also an excellent source for mainly Manta parts but also GT parts. I have bought parts from Charles and have been very satisfied with his service.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree with ALL the above posts. If you won the auction and there was no reserve then YOU WON THE AUCTION. It is a Contract and eBay doesn't like people not upholding there end of the Contract. Report him to eBay but I would first insist that the guy sell you the item at the advertised price that you won it for.

I can say that he is lucky I am not the one he is dealing with. I create a website about the bad transaction then I post the site Url in the guys feedback and I leave the site there for all to see. I have been threatened with law suits if I don't remove the site, I guess that having a lawyer for a brother is a good thing :D

I would like to know what the item was if you don't mind posting a link to it!

Looks like the seller only has 1 negative feedback, offer to let him keep it that way if he completes the auction like he should. If not, then choose what you say carefully because you only get 80 characters to "rip" him with. I would suggest something to the tune of "No reserve, now wants extra $90, Dishonest seller". That would be short, sweet and to the point .... just an idea

·
Banned
3,842 Posts
When I decided to build my latest GT I did alot of searching first. Reputations, parts suppliers pretty much everything. I also kept a close eye on Ebay to see what could be gotten. When I got the pair I started buying parts. On Ebay and from OGTS. For almost every purchase on Ebay I recieved an offer to buy the same thing for less if I would retract my bid. This came with a questionaire about my car as well. After I finally had enough of an overloaded Email box. I called in person to ask for this to stop, my point was that if I chose to buy or sell on Ebay then it didn't involve a 3rd party. I was told it was an automated system and there was no recourse. Things got heated and we decided that "if he was the last vendor of parts, I'd sell the car before spending a dime with him" he informed me that "my money was no good there anyway".

His and his partners Email addresses are blocked and he is blocked on my Ebay account.

I've also seen Email that besmurches the reputation of the seller and offers the parts cheaper.

I know of 3 reports To Ebay already.

I know this person isn't haveing the best time but it might be a good idea not to bite the hand that feeds you. JM2CW

I'm not trying to bad mouth anyone, These things just don't sit well with me. I'm only explaining my point of view. Others may see these tactics as good business or aggressive salesmanship.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I appologize for the late updates but my job had me out of town all day. I will be in contact with "Jim" at Opel USA to see if he wants to make good on this. Out of years and 2 car purchases off ebay this is my fist bad experience. Thanks for all your input.

Trapper

·
Premium Member
1,756 Posts
Most ebay transactions are good because they are usually Opel people. This transaction is the exception. Demand the part be sold for the aution price, and report the incident to ebay. This is totally uncalled for. In over 180 transactions I have never been cheated or defrauded like this.

When I need parts anymore, I call Gil or Dennis at OGTS. They not only stand behind what they sell, they are always there to offer technical information. On several mods for my 2.4, I was given a CD with pictures that were easy to understand and offered precise information to get it done right. I have probably emailed Dennis to death getting information to fix something I didn't understand. Expensive? Not really, expensive is buying the bargan part only to find out it didn't work, then having to buy it from OGTS anyway. I just cut out the middle man and deal exclusively with them. (No I don't work for them). They do a great job, and I appreciate their expertise.

Bob

·
2,054 Posts
Trapper,
If your bid was for a used part, I recommend you pass on pressuring the seller to fulfill his obligation. The used part you receive may be swapped for another one that was in poor condition.

If it was new, and not electrical, I would offer him a chance to live up to the obligation.

If you feel he made an honest mistake in not setting a reserve, and you feel your winning bid is indeed too good, you should reconsider forcing this transaction. Although you have every legal right to force it, a good transaction is one that is fair to both parties. Its more of an ethical issue rather than a legal one.

OK, back to tactics. Does anyone have an address for this business or residence? And a telephone number? Even a full name can be used to initiate a trace. Chances are one of us lives nearby. A visit, or several, may help the situation. Often, people mean well, something comes up, and then they end up too embarrassed to deal with it. I've been there myself. Just giving the person an out, and a way to save face, concludes the deal. If that doesn't help, and the issue is important enough, tactics can be stepped up, but let's keep things friendly here in the Opel Community. Let's start with the idea he's a decent guy that's just got himself caught in a pinch or made a mistake.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area and would be willing to assist if the party is within proximity.
By the way, I buy from OGTS and I wish every company did business as well as Gil. I have incredible respect for him, his business, and his service. I don't feel his prices are too high, and I love ordering a part and having it arrive on my doorstep the next day. And, get this, he always the correct part, in spit of my talent to steer him wrong.

·
101st Airborne 1/327 Inf
1,324 Posts
The Right Thing To Do

After reading all the replys pro and con, I would still favor the seller biting the bullet and selling the item to Trapper for the price listed and won on ebay. The seller may have made an error with the listing and the ebay procedures but that is on the seller, and the buyer should not be responsible for the mistake.

·
2,054 Posts
Well, A quick check looks like we're talking Southern California, Wildomar specifically. Man, this is in the middle of nowhere. Inland Empire. If one of us needs to go in person to help resolve the matter, better do it before April or the heat'll flat kill you.

A check on a phone number leads us back to this forum, a member who last posted three days ago. So we know he's at least reading OpelGT.com treads. (Dude, if you're reading this message, please do what you need to in order to fix this thing before it explodes and gets all nasty.)
Trapper, I'll send you a private message with his member name so you can contact him via this forum ( private message) and phone number so you can try calling.

Just out of curiosity, what was the item, and the winning bid. It's not the price that drives this issue; but principle, morality, ethics, and integrity.
But still... I'm curious.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The item listed was a pair of tan seats. Within the ad they also indicated they had a pair of black seats that were in better condition than the tan ones that they would sell for the same winning bid. Well the black ones are what I really wanted anyway. Jim did invite me to call him to discuss the situation which I will today. I'll post the outcome. Final and only bid was $99.00, yes indeed a great price.

thanks,

trapper

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It appears the emotions can get pretty deep in here. I did talk to Jim (seems like a pretty nice guy) and he was a bit disturbed about all the fuss in here. It seems the listing price was an honest mistake, which I an man enough to deal with, but what bothers me the most is the general hard feeling towards the GT parts suppliers. As I said in the original post I didn't want to "stir the pot". As a newbie to the Opel world I was relying on y'all (my South Texas talk) to educate me on what's right and wrong in the parts world. The was a lot of sound advice and unfortunately a lot of irritated feeling possibly brought on from past experiences. Myself, I can still hold USA Opel and Jim in the highest regard. He was pretty upset though about all this talk. All in all this seems to be a really nice community with a lot of camaradie potential, yet there is a lot of hard feelings. I have the utmost respect for everyone here and really hope that everyone who reads this will give a second thought and chance to one another.

respects to all - that would be my biker side :)

Trapper

·
U-2 Driver
126 Posts
Hey Trapper,
Dude, handle this how you may, but man what a dirt bag! I am glad that you got his name out so that we can all avoid him (USA opel). We as a group can force FAIR TRADE practices out there among the suppliers. But don't let them tell you how honestly upset they are because they want to screw you or me out of cash, otherwise, these parasites will be around forever. Don't worry, parts just don't disappear, they WILL end up with someone who can manage a business, turn a profit, and treat their customers right.
I personally was one of those idiots who gave Todd at opels unreachable $50 way back when for a lifetime membership to whatever Opel club he was pushing. Now the dude won't even return my calls or emails. HOWEVER, every time I call OGTS, someone talks to me, and gives it to me straight (STS). I do not always buy from them, but I do call them first. I have written off the rest.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I think this is blown totally out of proportion. He listed tan seats on ebay. He did not list black seats. He could have sold the black seats before the end of the auction and it would not have violated anything. Yes, he made a mistake when he relisted the tan seats with no reserve. Originally, I am sure, the black seats offer was protected by the reserve. Yes he should be more carefull. But he hurt no one. No money was lost, he did not insist the guy pay for the tan seats. No one was hurt. The only thing lost was what appeared to be the deal of the century on a pair of black seats. It costs around 300+ to even get seat covers. Any price below that is not a bad deal if they are nice. I think everyone needs to cool their tempers and acknowledge the service guys like Jim and Gil and even Todd give us. So you don't like to wait for your parts, well then don't order from Todd. But he still does us all a service. I receintly bought a car were Jim was the middle man. Jim worked his butt off to make sure the car was everything the owner said it was. Even when the owner (an attorney! I should have know better) didn't disclose hidden problems, Jim at his own expense handled nearly all the problems. This is not a guy who "baits and switchs" or rips people off.

So Jim made a mistake. It was not on the listed and pictured item. Do we really want to treat our suppliers like this. Do we want them to have to basically pay us and give us the part on a simple mistake. They won't be in business very long like that.

I look at it this way, if the three of them went out of business well then that would be something to bitch about. I have been buying Opel parts since 1977. These guys at their worst are better then most of the Buick dealers were. I once had to drive 250 miles to pick up lifters because the dealer refused to ship them to me. I will continue to buy from all three of them. I understand how each of them work and when I order from them I know that is how it is going to be.

Thank you Jim, Gil and Todd for without you guys we could only look at our Opels because we sure wouldn't be driving them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.