Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home from Carlisle I thought that it would be fun to see when people had bought their first Opel and what model it was. For me it was 1959 and the car was a 1954 Rekord with three hubcaps and four bald tires for $200. Bill

·
Super Moderator
9,643 Posts
Me.....1975, bought a 1970 GT with automatic (couldn't drive a manual then) for $2500. Great shape, ran like a top, till I shoved it under a 1/2 ton p/u. The driver of the p/u was drunk and had parked in the middle of the hwy, yes, I said hwy.....

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Around 1975, a beautiful used 1970 chartreuse GT for $1900 from Tony Coury Buick in Mesa, AZ. Totaled in 1978 when some guy made a left turn directly in front of me as I attempted to pass through an intersection :banghead:

·
Mid-West Opeler
2,392 Posts
1973, a Blue Rally Sport Manta. Brand New. Ordered Here in West Chicago, picked up in Russelheim, Germany.

·
Super Moderator
13,167 Posts
January 3rd, 1984.

I bought this 1974 Opel Ascona from Carl Schneider (part owner of C & R Small Cars). It had Steinmetz flares, rear spoiler, front airdam, full Luxus interior, Autopower rollbar, 3.67 rear axle, BMW vented front brakes, flat-top 1.9 block with big valve head and 'Autocross' camshaft, header, 32/36 Weber, relocated battery in trunk, Euro big sway bars, and Koni shocks. Very fun car for a 17 year old's first Opel!

I paid $2700 for it. Paid my father off $50 per week as I recall.

Attachments

·
1000 Post Club
4,100 Posts
Purchased Summer of 1979, 1972 Opel Raylle (Manta). $150, yellow with black hood(re-spray), black vinyl roof, factory fogs(one clear, one yellow), auto, 135K on it. Towed home. running on 3 cylinders with a bad cam. Drove for 9 months(new cam installed).

·
Registered
37 Posts
In 1973 when I transferred to Ft. Meade, MD, got a yellow 1969 Opel Kadett L for about $750 (if I remember correctly). Great car, tough as nails and good on gas, just in time for the '74 gas crisis.

·
Detroit,where my home was
2,889 Posts
In 1978 I bought a 1.1, gold colored with imitation black top [spray painted] 1972 Opel Kadett "B" for 300 dutch gilders drove it for two years and sold it to my youngest brother that was when I bought my first "A" Ascona

·
Opeler
17 Posts
My first was in the summer of 1974. It was a 1970. 1.9 GT. It was already modified with a beefed up suspension, sway bars , and 8" wide Ansen Sprint Mags. I put 10" wide Goodyear low profile raised white letter tires on it. The motor had been bored, had a racing cam, dome shaped pistons, a header, and a 32/36 Weber. The battery had been relocated next to the spare tire. A rear spoiler had been molded into the body. I had More Opel flares applied and painted the car 70 Corvette laquer sunflower yellow. It was killer looking. It was an awesome drive on highway 555 in Eastern Ohio. Quite a car back in the day for an 18 year old.

·
789 Posts
I first laid eyes on a GT as a freshman in college in 1969. I saved enough money to buy one in 1973 (a 1973 dealer return with about 3,000 miles on the clock). My roommate took it out for a late night drive on an icy Wisconsin back road in 1976 and met a large oak tree head on. He helped me find one with 22,000 that same year and I still own that one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My illness began in 1995 when I bought my first GT stock white black interior 4 speed. Since then I've seen two other GT's come and go. My current GT is in the garage, motor and trans out, awaiting engine compartment restoration.

·
Super Moderator
5,294 Posts
1973 Opel GT . . .

. . . in May 1976, which I converted to FI and Perlux e-trigger in August 1978. Still own it, but it would be another 20 years before I bought another, 2 GTs at the same time actually, a yellow '70 and a red '72.

·
Registered
90 Posts
1987 gold Opel Kadett, still have the car. Got it and 6 more for a $125. Wish I still had the other six but parted them out and still have lots of Kadett stuff. Then went on to get 7 GTs. Have one that is 90% done and hope to have finished by next year.

·
Registered
895 Posts
grslightng02
My illness began in 1995 when I bought my first GT
I love the way you started yours, Neil!:lmao:

September of 1980, 1.9 GT, Black with red interior(it was originally white). I stayed hours longer than any other kid that late summer/early fall, picking low bush blueberries to save up the $300 to buy the car from the farmer who ran the blueberry farm. I fell inlove with it at first site. I had never seen one before. About a year later, while cleaning the headlight covers, I realized that there were screws holding the headlights open, and that they actually rotated.:aargh4:. Now, after seeing the car with it's headlights "hidden", that was it! I painted it Red and called her cinnamin...:joke:

Serious about figuring out the headlight a year after buying it, though.:pat:(and my brother did paint her red when he owned it after I sold it to him)

·
Opel Adventure # 77 NC
634 Posts
Summer '78, '69 Kadett wagon 1.9l AT $125.
Had minor rear damage when I got it. Drove it for 1-1/2 years and sold for $150. when I bought my first '75 Sport Wagon.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 86 Posts