Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Opeler
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aaarrgg

Allright ill be honest im getting a little frustrated. I am looking for an isuzu impulse to take the rear end from, both for the brakes and the diff, but i cannot find the answer to a simple question anywhere in previous posts.

What year(s) am i looking for??

I hear an 85 will work, but i am having trouble finding just an 85, so does anyone know if different years will work?

Oh by the way did u all see my Mantscona? Its ugly for now but its a work in progress.

P.S.

Ignore those rims, they were stolen along with everything else on my car :(

Robert

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Impulse Differentials

1981 through 1987 and maybe as late as 1989 for non-Turbos.
The 1987 to 89 Turbos have a different diff type without the "Opel" torque tube.

There are two types of rear discs: smaller solid ones that will fit inside Opel 13 inch wheels and the larger, ventilated type that will require 14 inch wheels or larger. Either type will do, other that for stock wheel size.

All have the same 3.9:1 gear ratio but the cars with the more expensive automatic transmission usually have the limited slip diff unit as well.

Some of them were sold with the advertising blurb:
"Rarer than a Ferrari"
so if you happen upon one of them ..........:D

Attachments

·
Opeler
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, they are rare. Ive gotten lucky though 3 auto wreckers in my area have 1 each (total of 3). two are 84's ad one is an 85.
Ill probably just take the brakes off the 85 for now. the rotors look like they were new before the car was towed.

oh and another thing i noticed is that they all have the vented rotors; none have the solid ones.

·
Opeler
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow seems like im seeing these cars everywhere now, i changed the oil in one at work the other day (grease monkey) and i just saw another one driving down the road.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
On Impulse

Robert,

The gears in the diff fit Opels too and have a look at the FRONT
Disc rotors too - they will fit on to GT front axles as the bearings are the same. Mounting the Impulse calipers is occupying my mind at the moment though. Looks like the entire Impulse stub axle may need to be used - they are VERY similar to the GT ones and I hope they will fit into the Opel front suspension by bolting to the Opel suspension ball joints.

The Isuzu front rotors are also ventilated and have the same stud pattern as the GT - so the wheels fit too.

I got a 1984 to take the parts off, over a year ago, but my Best Lady is still driving it to work and I had to go and find other ones to get the parts!

PS: Don't forget to collect the calipers and their mounting brackets - incuding the mounting bolts plus the brake hoses.
The mounting brackets are trapped between the rear wheel bearing and the axle flange - the bearing has to come off to get them.

·
Administrator
10,214 Posts
Re: On Impulse

GTJIM said:

The gears in the diff fit Opels too and have a look at the FRONT Disc rotors too - they will fit on to GT front axles as the bearings are the same. Mounting the Impulse calipers is occupying my mind at the moment though. Looks like the entire Impulse stub axle may need to be used - they are VERY similar to the GT ones and I hope they will fit into the Opel front suspension by bolting to the Opel suspension ball joints.
Keep us informed on this GTjim. There is (or was) an Impulse in a junkyard near me. A few years back, they loaded it on my trailer so I could take it home to remove the rear ends and all the brackets. I thought about taking the front suspension off before I brought it back but didn't.

·
Old Opeler
5,564 Posts
Too Right!

Will do! It is all looking very interesting as the Impules front discs are 256mm in diameter and ventilated but only 16mm thick so they are quite light.
I have had discs and hub on the GT spindle but the caliper mount would take a bit of fabricating so we shall see if the whole spindle can be substituted.

Had to put the GT front suspension back in the car to bring it home from the painters so now have to remove it again to work on it.

The Isuzus' have lots of good bits including very good, made in Japan, Bosch electrics. Lots of relays and things. Also, the twin cam engine ones we have here (imported 2nd hand fom Japan) have an nice Aisin-Warner four-speed O.D. automatic.........

The twin cam motor was only released on the Japanese domestic market. Haven't pulled a head from the motor yet but will see how close it is to fitting on to an Opel CIH block as they have a front chain drive to the cams..........

Lots of interesting possibilities ahead and I shall keep you all informed. Er..... too many cars and not enough time:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts