Opel GT Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
Anders, the limited slip diff. would have been an option on 1.6 or 1.9 litre Mantas. More likely to find it on an SR model or GTE. You could use the diff from a Kadett C GTE as well, or a Manta B.

The Sprint manifold can be found on 1968-1972 Rekord Sprint models, as well as all fuel injected 1.9 Opels. I think you guys started to get the CIH fuel injection in 1974 in Europe, we only got it for 1975 then they stopped importing Opels. Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Pathologic Opeler
1,960 Posts
sprint exhaust/injection of 1975 verses 74 or 73

here is a qusetion that puzzles me:

1) if the sprint exhaust and fuel injection on the 75 manta is a benefit...why is the 75 engine only marginally better than the carburated 74 manta, and isnt the 73 or 72 manta better performing than the 75 manta

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
opeldean said:
here is a qusetion that puzzles me:

1) if the sprint exhaust and fuel injection on the 75 manta is a benefit...why is the 75 engine only marginally better than the carburated 74 manta, and isnt the 73 or 72 manta better performing than the 75 manta
Because the baseline US smog engine can't really take advantage of the better breathing of the EFI and the Sprint. European 1.9 EFI engines made 105 hp instead of 80 hp for the 1975 US Opels. So the higher compression and the bigger cam really helped out there.

Don't forget the 1975 Manta also weighed about 160 lbs more than the pre-'74 cars thanks to the heavier bumpers, frame rail reinforcements, and side impact beams in the doors. So this hurts acceleration, cornering and braking performance (extra weight always sucks). The EFI compensated for some of the weight increase, just as the bigger brakes up front and the wider rims improved stopping and cornering slightly.

·
Opeler
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sprint manifold and LSD

Are all Manta B equipped with LSD?
Regarding the Sprint manifold many junkyards in Sweden are full of old opel`s and i was thinking a could help some of you get one from here but it seems to be a limited range of models that had them.

·
Super Moderator
14,884 Posts
Anders said:
Are all Manta B equipped with LSD?
Regarding the Sprint manifold many junkyards in Sweden are full of old opel`s and i was thinking a could help some of you get one from here but it seems to be a limited range of models that had them.
Like he said above, not all Manta B's have the LSD. The GSI would have the ZF 40% limited slip differential, but I believe the regular models of Manta B and Ascona B could be special ordered with a 25% (Opel-made) limited slip as an option. You would have to check this yourself in the junkyards. Of course, the 40% diff is better for performance, and this unit could also be upgraded to 80% with new parts. The 80% changes the handling a lot though, almost like a locked (welded) rear diff!

Bob

·
Registered
17 Posts
The A series broadspeed turbos and the GTE would of been the main cars which had lsd,s and also the GSI and the B series 400,s and some of the I200,s.

Quaife still make new ones for them and they cost around £625

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.