Opel GT Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How in the hell do you adjust the floats in the weber carb and to what degree??? I installed that new performance fuel jet kit and apparantly you need to readjust the float. Mines pouring out too much gas and the instructions that came with, suck.

I have a 32/36 Weber with brass floats and electric choke.

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
Here it is.....

Adjust by bending the tab that contacts the needle valve being careful not to push the valve into the seat. If you did not change the adjustment when rejetting the float may just be stuck. Tapping on the fuel outlet with the back of a screwdriver will sometimes free it.

Attachments

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm

Well, I guess my question is this.... What am I adjusting this float for? What does it do and why does it need to be adjusted?

What is the optimal setting?

Thanks in advance.

Thom

·
Administrator
10,077 Posts
If you look at the Left photo (Brass Float) The 41 dimension is 41mm from the carb body to that part of the float when the float is resting against the needle valve. This is the point for maximum fuel in the carb bowl. The 51mm dim. is the total distance the float drops when there is no fuel in the bowl. The "level" is changed by bending the tabs on the float until it matches those settings.

If you did not change or remove the float it should work as before. When you removed the top to change the jets, it is possible that either the pin that keeps the float in place slipped or the needle valve fell out enough to hang up and the bowl overflowed.

Hope this helps,
Gary

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW!! Was mine ever screwed up

Mine was at about 58mm, when it should of been at 51. No wonder I was running rich before. Also, I'm finding places where I should of had vacume hoses and I didnt. No wonder it ran like crap last time I drove it.

·
Super Moderator
5,804 Posts
Float Setting

Actually, the critical measurement is 41 mm, which dictates what height the fuel will be in the float bowl when the float needle valve shuts, and hence affects all issues relating to mixture. The "drop" distance is only to keep the float from binding when the bowl is empty, which only happens after sitting for a prolonged time. But if your carb was "pouring out gas" you have more than a mal-adjusted float. Perhaps it was stuck? Or perhaps the needle valve has a bit of dirt in the seat? Does yours have a "soft" needle tip (which is better than the solid brass tip) ? Or perhaps your fuel pressure is too high? Do you have an aftermarket electric fuel pump or the stock mechanical? If you have an electric pump, do you have a pressure regulator? If so, make sure it is adjusted to supply no more than 3.1 to 3.7 psi.

Otherwise, clean out the neele and seat, adjust the float, and try it again.

HTH

·
Life Long Opeler
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

I put in a new needle valve and adjusted the float to be at 41 when it shuts off, so it should be fine now. The test will be tonight when I fire her up for the first time in about 6 years.

I have a mechanical fuel pump and it is now brand new, so that should be fine.

·
Driver
987 Posts
Gary said:
If you look at the Left photo (Brass Float) The 41 dimension is 41mm from the carb body to that part of the float when the float is resting against the needle valve.
The needle has that little spring loaded ball in the end. Is the "resting point" mean just sitting on the ball, or is it applying a little pressure and pressing the spring-ball down into the needle?

·
Driver
987 Posts
OK, thanks. That means that I have 2 Webers that were wrong. They both measured with the ball depressed. That would read too little fuel in the bowl. Will this give a lean condition?
Also, is there supposed to be a washer under the needle housing? One has one and one doesn't. It does change the distance setting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts